Could you tell me your reasons?

Hi Amanda -

Have you read anything here on the forums ?

Find a topic or thread with a similar question ?

Any chance your boyfriend has found similar question here as well?

C'mon Darnell. Give her a break will ya? Yeah, reading the FAQs and doing some searches is good advice. But sometimes it's nice to hear from people with their personal experiences and opinions.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Amanda -

I suppose if every question asked where run through this filter, perhaps there would be very few questions asked. Many topics have been covered, and as new people arrive and others move forward in the visa process new experiences happen to members all the time.

I have been a member of other forums and I know it can be frustrating for long time members to see newbie's ask questions that have been asked before. This question was not about the step by step visa process, but about the real life experiences people have had for a given visa route, and why they believed this was the best choice for them.

We (Amanda & I) see advantages and disadvantages to both K1 & K3, we are working through which will be best for us. The best route will be determined by our personal desires for ourselves and our family. Our decision will be based upon many factors, as I am sure everyone here did the same. The question Amanda asked was to seek real life experiences so maybe we would learn from these, and be better informed in our own decision. It is my opinion that this is what CFL is all about, maybe yours differs.

Richard

Hi Amanda -

I suppose if every question asked where run through this filter, perhaps there would be very few questions asked. Many topics have been covered, and as new people arrive and others move forward in the visa process new experiences happen to members all the time.

I have been a member of other forums and I know it can be frustrating for long time members to see newbie's ask questions that have been asked before. This question was not about the step by step visa process, but about the real life experiences people have had for a given visa route, and why they believed this was the best choice for them.

We (Amanda & I) see advantages and disadvantages to both K1 & K3, we are working through which will be best for us. The best route will be determined by our personal desires for ourselves and our family. Our decision will be based upon many factors, as I am sure everyone here did the same. The question Amanda asked was to seek real life experiences so maybe we would learn from these, and be better informed in our own decision. It is my opinion that this is what CFL is all about, maybe yours differs.

Richard

Well Richard, in my short tenure here I find that for every question 90% of the answers will give you good information (incuding links to previous topics), 5% will give you wrong answers, and the other 5% will ask you why you asked the question. I think that's rather good!

Welcome, this thread will certainly help you decide.

Guest Rob & Jin

I think the point made about doing K-1 first, then if denied can do CR-1 is a very important consideration now days. If you file K-3 first not sure you could do CR-1 later.

Its unfortunate to even have to think this, doesn't apply to most other countries beneficiaries, but it seems to be a reality for china.

I remember Davidz summed it up once as "special processing" and that doesn't mean smoother or fairer. B)

I think the point made about doing K-1 first, then if denied can do CR-1 is a very important consideration now days. If you file K-3 first not sure you could do CR-1 later.

Its unfortunate to even have to think this, doesn't apply to most other countries beneficiaries, but it seems to be a reality for china.

I remember Davidz summed it up once as "special processing" and that doesn't mean smoother or fairer. :P

We had one member here that I know of that got a denial (white) on the K3 and then went to the CR1 and got pink. So I know it can be done.

Hello all,

My BF and I have had very good relationship since met online last year.We will meet in person for the first time next month in China.We both have very serious attitude towards our relationship.Since every kind of visa has its advantage and disadvantage but what I would like to know is when you had to choose one visa among k1,k3 or CR , what was your reason to choose? Tell me your real reasons. If you can give me some suggestion, that will be better!I know there are many visa experts here. My BF and I would like very much to listen to your real reasons and I believe your experiences will be very helpful to us. thanks a lot.

Best regards,

Amanda from her motherland,China

At the time we met/decided to file, the conventional wisdom was that K-1 was a little quicker. I'm not sure if that's still the case now.

We wanted to be together as soon as possible but didn't necessarily want the pressure of meeting/getting married in the span of 10 days on my first trip. So I filed as soon as I got back.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of pros and cons for each visa type. Good luck. :P

I gotta ditto this. Our goal was being together as quickly as possible. Back in 2005, K1 was the quickest. I figured once she was here, we could deal with the AOS, that wasnt so much a concern when I filed for the K1.

Another reason is we didnt know each other that deeply yet. You really dont know someone until you've been with them face to face on a daily basis. I mean, what made us angry, how we dealt with stress, how we handled our money, how we will deal with difficult situations, are we were truly compatible, do we just make each other mad, etc etc etc. By filing K1, the wait time gave us more opportunity to get to know each other, and give us both an 'out' if something went wrong. The K1 also gave us 90 days in the US to be living together to further see if we are compatible. Of course, that is really not enough time, but on the other hand, getting married so fast, such as a first or second trip to China can be a big mistake for many.

Guest Rob & Jin

I remember Davidz summed it up once as "special processing" and that doesn't mean smoother or fairer. :P

We had one member here that I know of that got a denial (white) on the K3 and then went to the CR1 and got pink. So I know it can be done.

What if they had filed cr-1/ k-3 together as many do ?

You have to file CR1 to file the K3 and this is what they did.

Guest Rob & Jin

I remember Davidz summed it up once as "special processing" and that doesn't mean smoother or fairer. B)

:baby: :P so K-3 denied cr-1 just proceeded to pink, interesting

Edited by Rob & Jin (see edit history)

Yeah buddy................this is what happened. The petitioner was really surprised. It took him a few minutes to realize that she really got the pink. B)

Hello all,

My BF and I have had very good relationship since met online last year.We will meet in person for the first time next month in China.We both have very serious attitude towards our relationship.Since every kind of visa has its advantage and disadvantage but what I would like to know is when you had to choose one visa among k1,k3 or CR , what was your reason to choose? Tell me your real reasons. If you can give me some suggestion, that will be better!I know there are many visa experts here. My BF and I would like very much to listen to your real reasons and I believe your experiences will be very helpful to us. thanks a lot.

Best regards,

Amanda from her motherland,China

At the time we met/decided to file, the conventional wisdom was that K-1 was a little quicker. I'm not sure if that's still the case now.

We wanted to be together as soon as possible but didn't necessarily want the pressure of meeting/getting married in the span of 10 days on my first trip. So I filed as soon as I got back.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of pros and cons for each visa type. Good luck. :P

I gotta ditto this. Our goal was being together as quickly as possible. Back in 2005, K1 was the quickest. I figured once she was here, we could deal with the AOS, that wasnt so much a concern when I filed for the K1.

Another reason is we didnt know each other that deeply yet. You really dont know someone until you've been with them face to face on a daily basis. I mean, what made us angry, how we dealt with stress, how we handled our money, how we will deal with difficult situations, are we were truly compatible, do we just make each other mad, etc etc etc. By filing K1, the wait time gave us more opportunity to get to know each other, and give us both an 'out' if something went wrong. The K1 also gave us 90 days in the US to be living together to further see if we are compatible. Of course, that is really not enough time, but on the other hand, getting married so fast, such as a first or second trip to China can be a big mistake for many.

Yes. Ken and others make a very good point that can't be stressed enough. After we filed, we talked on the phone every day and emailed almost as often. Plus, I was able to make another trip to China to spend time together.

Even though we knew we wanted to be together before I even went the first time, this extra time in the interim between filing and interview really helped us get to know each other much better and solidified our relationship.

While this level of contact can't equal actually living under the same roof, it does give each of you a good idea of what makes the other tick. :baby:

Yeah buddy................this is what happened. The petitioner was really surprised. It took him a few minutes to realize that she really got the pink. B)

Here is the post: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...c=26155&hl=

Amamda and Richard, it's pretty cool to see your relationship unfold right here in front of us. Amanda's english is better than mine :) and you do ask some very important questions, especially at this stage of just before you meet in person, see if you truly do have that love you feel from the internet, and then start the paperwork.

My guess is you two are gonna find your love for each other is greater than you could imagine from writing on the internet to each other.

Okay....my advice, go the K-1 route as Chilton747 and Rob have stated.

The folks in the consulate are very arbitrary when it comes time for an interview. They may ask Amanda 2 or 3 questions, smile and give her a pink slip of approval....OR...as in my fiancee's case, the visa officer may be a complete jerk, treat Amanda like a criminal, and blue or white slip her....there is no real rhyme or reason as to their methods.

I say K-1 visa first because IF you should have trouble at the interview, you will have a much better chance of later getting a visa with a CR-1 visa later.

You guys make a lovely couple and here's hoping Amanda gets the simple little interview with the 3 questions and a smile. I would be remiss to not tell you the possible realities of interview time. Prepare for the WORST, hope for the BEST.

DO read David Z's FAQ's and understand the paperwork and interview preparation until it is etched in stone. On that important first trip and meeting, save everthingthat shows what you paid for and take many photos in different clothers and in different places.

You guys will do just fine.

tsap seui

Best can mean many things, what do you mean by best?

1) what is best in terms of time until you are together.

2) What is best for your relationship.

The answers to #1 are pretty easy at this point, k1 around 10 months, k3 about 12 months, and ir/1 cr/1 about 13 months.

Take a look in the Consulate Process, p3 -> interview. There is a pinned thread called circling Guz. The content isn't important, but it is people approaching their interview time. Look at what visa they are getting, and how long each took. This will give you a great idea of how each of the visa choices will go for you.

I believe that the first and foremost decision is what is best for you and your soon-to-be-spouse?

Some of the things my wife and I considered was:

1) Where do we want to be married. Do we want our parents/family to attend. Americans can fly to China, but often difficult for Chinese family to fly to America.

2) Are there social stereotypes that might cause one of us to loose face, or otherwise have problems with a live together relationship not married.

3) How would our choices affect our children.

4) How would my wife feel living for 3 - 6 months in america without being able to work?

5) We had plans for our lives that we wanted to pursue now, not wait. They involved finances, and as such were more reasonable to do married.

For us, an extended finace relationship was not what we wanted. For all the reasons I listed, marriage was our choice, so that put us into the k3 or cr/1 visa choice.

With the small difference betwen the 2, we choose the CR/1. Even a larger difference we would still have gone cr/1. I can visit China every 4-6 months, and we both have jobs and family that keep us busy.

We would love to be together, but it is not so strong of a need that we can't wait a month or two.

As it turns out, these last few months are the most frustrating, both in terms of the visa, and in our personal lives there are some good reasons she should leave China.

Still, even now, I believe the first choice is where do you want to marry, and then based on that, you pick either cr/1 or k1... k3 (in my opinion) is not worth the trouble.

Thank you! I think what you said is very helpful for us.

Amanda

Amamda and Richard, it's pretty cool to see your relationship unfold right here in front of us. Amanda's english is better than mine :ph34r: and you do ask some very important questions, especially at this stage of just before you meet in person, see if you truly do have that love you feel from the internet, and then start the paperwork.

My guess is you two are gonna find your love for each other is greater than you could imagine from writing on the internet to each other.

Okay....my advice, go the K-1 route as Chilton747 and Rob have stated.

The folks in the consulate are very arbitrary when it comes time for an interview. They may ask Amanda 2 or 3 questions, smile and give her a pink slip of approval....OR...as in my fiancee's case, the visa officer may be a complete jerk, treat Amanda like a criminal, and blue or white slip her....there is no real rhyme or reason as to their methods.

I say K-1 visa first because IF you should have trouble at the interview, you will have a much better chance of later getting a visa with a CR-1 visa later.

You guys make a lovely couple and here's hoping Amanda gets the simple little interview with the 3 questions and a smile. I would be remiss to not tell you the possible realities of interview time. Prepare for the WORST, hope for the BEST.

DO read David Z's FAQ's and understand the paperwork and interview preparation until it is etched in stone. On that important first trip and meeting, save everthingthat shows what you paid for and take many photos in different clothers and in different places.

You guys will do just fine.

tsap seui

Thank you for your consideration ,your suggestion and your compliment on my English.

I hope everything will be better for you and your SO!

Amanda