Canceling CR-1 petition

I am not sure if this is the right spot to ask this,sorry if it is not. My GF in Shanghai has a friend here who married a USC and now they are getting divorced. She canceled her interview.

What she is wondering is how to stop the CR-1 process? She is worried it will affect her later if she meets someone else and wants to apply again.She just wants to make sure it will be over and not put a check against her for the future.

I told her I would ask here for her as there are so many people with much knowledge.Its a long story of what went wrong, so I will spare everyone all the details.

Thanks in advance for any help

Paul

Guest Rob & Jin

I am not sure if this is the right spot to ask this,sorry if it is not. My GF in Shanghai has a friend here who married a USC and now they are getting divorced. She canceled her interview.

What she is wondering is how to stop the CR-1 process? She is worried it will affect her later if she meets someone else and wants to apply again.She just wants to make sure it will be over and not put a check against her for the future.

I told her I would ask here for her as there are so many people with much knowledge.Its a long story of what went wrong, so I will spare everyone all the details.

Paul

She just needs to write to the USCIS service center and maybe GUZ depending where their petition is, with names , case # stating she does not want to pursue this petition.

If she does pursue another petition in the future, it will be have to be disclosed, but not a big "black eye".

After talking with my GF and her friend at breakfast. I had jiaozi. I love that stuff for breakfast.

She added that Guangzhou told her only original petitioner could cancel it.So how does she inquire if he did or not? Or who does she call?

Thanks again.

Paul

Guest Rob & Jin

After talking with my GF and her friend at breakfast. I had jiaozi. I love that stuff for breakfast.

She added that Guangzhou told her only original petitioner could cancel it.So how does she inquire if he did or not? Or who does she call?

Thanks again.

Paul

The petition will expire regardless of what he does. But if she emails and writes to UCICS and GUZ then she will have a paper record of her descision not to continue and their replies.

Plus could help later for another petition in the future, PM for details why

Thanks again.

Paul

I think that if she never goes to the interview then the CR1 will expire. Somebody correct me if that's wrong.

Thanks again.

Paul

I would imagine she called the visa help line and got her information.

The easiest thing for her to do is not attend the interview, which she did and if GZ offers to reschedule cancel that one informing them she does not intend to pursue the visa. She can also send them a letter with her GUZ number, name and date of birth saying she has no intention of pursuing the visa.

The letter is her best option as it removes any consideration of visa fraud. She does not need to explain why in her letter, but if she desires she can say the relationship did not work out. Keep it short and sweet.

GZ can either let it sit for 12 months or return it without extending the expiration date. Either way, it is not considered a denial.

If her soon to be Ex asks to cancel she needs her letter in GZ first because you can never count on what he might say and her letter proves that she is walking away and there is no intent to commit visa fraud no matter what he says.

The next step is for her divorce to be in China as it is difficult to have a US divorce recognized to show she is single. She needs this done before she pursues another relationship or it will not look good for her doing so while still married, which would cause serious problems for any visa petition in the future. She needs to completely close that door before opening another.

Paul

She will not be blacklisted, but she will have a red flag. She can not escape that! When she applies for a visa next time, she could be asked " Have you ever been denied a visa before ". Of course, the answer is no. Then the next question " Have you ever applied for a US visa ". she will have a lot of explaining to do.

I know she is your friend's friend. You wish all the best for her. But I would be very cautious about this lady. There are lots of scam artists operating in this fashion. They would collect as much money as they can get from the foreign husband or boyfriend, for computer, for a house, jewlery, English courses etc., etc., for 2-3 years and quit at the time of interview, and start the game all over again. They would be working on the second and the victim already. There are some ladies who would work on 2, 3, 4 Americans at the same time. Even when the US consulate catch them, they are never punished, beyond the visa privilages.

I suggest that you investigate her thoroughly before trying to help her. Usually, they keep their activities secret from their friends and relatives to "save face". By the way, this will have a negative impact on the American husband as well, especially, if he had 2-3 divorces before.

Anyway, if she is found innocent, advise her to go to Canada, UK or Australia next time.