DCF I-130 process questions

I've read this forum for a while and I wanted some info on getting started. I've lived in China for over 4.5 years under various visas though now I'm on a student visa. I married my Chinese wife last year. I plan on filing for the I-130 (DCF) before I head back to the States on Mar. 28th. I live in Yunnan but according to the consulate website for Chengdu they no longer process I-130s (if anyone knows different PLEASE let me know). If I have to travel to Guangzhou, are the "public hours" the same times when I can file the I-130?

Also, does my wife have to come with me when I do the filing? This seems unclear. I don't have my birth certificate here with me, and I doubt I can get my hands on it or a notarized version of it before I apply. How much of a problem will this pose?

I plan on giving in both the I-130 and DS-230 simultaneously. Is there a way to mail in the application instead of applying in person, and if so, is it slower in processing?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer my questions!

Regardless of what type of filing you do, you must still file the I-130. The same required documents apply. Here is a link to the instructions for filing an I-130.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-130instr.pdf

The instructions give a list of documents you can provide to prove you are a US Citizen. A copy of your birth certificate and an unexpired US passport is among them. It doesn't say either or but it does say at the end "If you don't have any of the above documents...."

I take that to mean any of the documents listed, however, if it were me I would get a birth certificate if at all possible just to play it safe.

here is the notice you are referring to:

http://chengdu.usembassy-china.org.cn/noti..._petitions.html

I thought this was reversed so that one can DCF at the local consulate/embassy.

I would just contact one of them and ask about Chengdu, which I don't have any contact info on, but here is BJ and GUZ:

DHS @ GUZ:

DHSGuangzhouGeneral@dhs.gov

020 8518-7651 ex: 7651

DHS @ BJ:

Dhsbejing-cis@dhs.gov

10-8529-6740

When we filed our "DCF" in Beijing in August the Embassy there asked us why we didn't just file in Chengdu, since my wife is from Chonqing. The answer was because we were on our way to Henan Province where I had a teaching job. The Embassy in Beijing corroborated that filing in the Consulate in Chengdu is OK.

I would just contact one of them and ask about Chengdu, which I don't have any contact info on, but here is BJ and GUZ:

DHS @ GUZ:

DHS @ BJ:

Dhsbejing-cis@dhs.gov

10-8529-6740

Edited by shyaushu (see edit history)

When we filed our "DCF" in Beijing in August the Embassy there asked us why we didn't just file in Chengdu, since my wife is from Chonqing. The answer was because we were on our way to Henan Province where I had a teaching job. The Embassy in Beijing corroborated that filing in the Consulate in Chengdu is OK.

DHS @ GUZ:

DHS @ BJ:

Dhsbejing-cis@dhs.gov

10-8529-6740

Thanks for that last link!

I gave them a call. They told me I can pay for my application in Chengdu, and mail all the forms to Beijing. In 2-3 months IF it gets approved, they'll send her the interview notice for Guangzhou.

I hope it is only 2-3 months. I guess I'll be heading to Guangzhou in about a week and a half.