Her passport

When should she get her passport, before the I-130 is filled out or is after ok? I don't think there was any place where it was needed on it but I could be blind. :whistling:

Well this will be my ever first reply, not that I am any good information since I always am the one asking questions.

but my advice would be get it done. Then its out of the way. My fiancee and i went to get hers in Shanghai when we were living there. it took just one week.

Fililng out the I-130, IMO, is just the FIRST STEP.

There's a whole lot of steps inbetween that one and her actually standing in front of a VISA officer for the VISA INTERVIEW.

I swear, she has to have a PASSPORT prior to the VISA Interview.

Time from Submitting the I-130 to actually STANDING in front of a VO is anywhere from 8 to 15 months, iirc. But - if you are doing a DCF, please get that passport NOW. She'll need it within 6 months.

The first time you need the passport is you need copies of the bio page for the ds-230 in NVC.

Since passports have a lifetime of 5 or more years though, I agree with everyone who says go ahead and get it done.

Also, you might consider getting a notarized "TRUE COPY" at the US embassy so that you can use it to file for taxes.

So start on your NVC material now. Get your wife to fill out the DS-3032 making you the agent, and (her)sign it.

Get your spouse to fill out the ds-230 and sign it.

Get the photo-copy of the bio page you need to file with the ds-230.

get 5 passport style photos.

1) i-130

2) ds-230 (new requirement not on the document but you get rfe since Jan 1, 2008)

3) 2 for interview and p4 forms. (Maybe only 1 here, I forget)

Hey Corb,

Your timeline is not clear and I do not recall previous discussions ??

Are you going to marry her in the PRC and go the CR-1 route with the I-130; or are you going to go K-1, via the I-129F and marry in the US ???

My wife and daughter had their Passports early-on, and I actually included notarized copies with both my I-130 and I-129F for K-3/K-4, at intial filing time.

The first time you need the passport is you need copies of the bio page for the ds-230 in NVC.

Since passports have a lifetime of 5 or more years though, I agree with everyone who says go ahead and get it done.

Also, you might consider getting a notarized "TRUE COPY" at the US embassy so that you can use it to file for taxes.

So start on your NVC material now. Get your wife to fill out the DS-3032 making you the agent, and (her)sign it.

Get your spouse to fill out the ds-230 and sign it.

Get the photo-copy of the bio page you need to file with the ds-230.

get 5 passport style photos.

1) i-130

2) ds-230 (new requirement not on the document but you get rfe since Jan 1, 2008)

3) 2 for interview and p4 forms. (Maybe only 1 here, I forget)

Hey Cred -

Thanks for the detail mon - I swear I totally forgot about the DS-230. UG.

Hey Corb,

Your timeline is not clear and I do not recall previous discussions ??

Are you going to marry her in the PRC and go the CR-1 route with the I-130; or are you going to go K-1, via the I-129F and marry in the US ???

My wife and daughter had their Passports early-on, and I actually included notarized copies with both my I-130 and I-129F for K-3/K-4, at intial filing time.

We will be marrying in China and go CR-1. :D