Visitor Visa or a K3?

My mother-in-law, a US citizen, is currently living in China. She recently married a Chinese national.

My wife is expecting and my mother-in-law would like to come to the US for a short period together with her husband to visit with her future grandchild. They are not expecting to live here - just visit for a few months.

My question is... is it going to be difficult to get a visitor visa for her husband? We've heard in cases like this, the consulate doesn't tend to grant visitor visas because they think the visitor will actually want to live in the US. So should she go ahead to apply for a K3 for her husband, or try to get a regular visitor visa?

Thanks,

Jerry

A visitor visa is faster and if they can show that they have substantial interest in China, homes, etc, it should not be a problem. Plus their age will help. If they were young, then it would be harder.

A K-3 visa is a lot longer.

good luck ;)

Visitor visas are rare if at all from the main land! I have a neighbor that has trying to get a friend here for a visit, still trying, and my soon to be sister-in-law is coming for our wedding, but she has status in Hong Kong. Everything you read here and other web pages show somewhere in the 10-15% success rate for visitor visas, good luck! ;)

I dont think a K3 can be used at all in this situation, only the B1. The K3 is used by a USC so their spouse can immigrate and live in the US.

I dont think it matters whether one comes or both.....the consulate looks for 'compelling' reasons why the person would want to return to China, and the applicant must provide documentation. As already explained above, that could be a house, money in the bank, stocks, a business, perhaps a young child, etc etc etc.

Very difficult visa for most Chinese applicants to get.

I dont think a K3 can be used at all in this situation, only the B1. The K3 is used by a USC so their spouse can immigrate and live in the US.

I dont think it matters whether one comes or both.....the consulate looks for 'compelling' reasons why the person would want to return to China, and the applicant must provide documentation. As already explained above, that could be a house, money in the bank, stocks, a business, perhaps a young child, etc etc etc.

Very difficult visa for most Chinese applicants to get.

The mother-in-law is a USC and could file DCF for her husband. The problem there would be showing US domicile and the I-864 support affidavit. The short visit may also work against them.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Well I don't know the stats on visitor visas like shenzen K-1 there, but we did a B2 while daughter was waiting on her CR2 and it worked.

My wife's father got a B1 easily and is here in the USA now until March.

I don't know if it matters what area you are from or not. He is up in Liaoning province and retired and was accompanying our daughter to the USA. He owns a house and his wife was staying in China. I think this man could talk his way into anything though. He said if they ask him if he will work he says he will tell them he is a lazy man and does not work in China, why would he work in America? If asked about overstaying he had plans on saying he speaks Chinese and eats Chinese food, why would he want to stay?

We hope to have my wife's sister some day as well as her mother come for a visit. We found it all very easy, but they all do own property and etc.

----------

Of course we did not have circumstance like you. Wife a USC and both coming over. As long as they are honest and have the evidence and plenty of it, a visitor is always good to start. I am not sure if any other would get him here in time for any event, but maybe time is not that important.

Edited by SheLikesME? (see edit history)