Guangzhou Train Station...

Does anyone know if a train from Jiangxi to Shenzhen stops at Guangzhou? My wife left from Jiujiang in Jiangxi headed to Shenzhen over 2 days ago and I haven't been able to reach her cell phone. I am a bit worried.

It seems her cell phone number has changed somehow.

Glad to hear she's alright! If she's anything like my wife, she's got one (or more) SIM cards that she'll swap out into her phone depending on where she is for the cost factor, which is most likely why her number has changed. :ph34r:

:lol: Now there is some really pertinent information. Thanks for the tip. :wub:

Guest knloregon

The time I remember most at the GZ station, several years ago, at the opposite seasonally----August----and the extreme heat had buckled the rails on various lines, so the hoard of humanity, huddled in front of the station were seeking shelter from the sun, and the humid, polluted, air was so thick, that as you looked from the terminal building out onto the gleaming masses, those in the background disappeared into the haze...

I recently had the "pleasure" of departing from the Guangzhou railway station... there aren't words to describe the crowd and chaos... think New York's Penn Station times 1000! When they changed the platform number just prior to boarding, I thought for sure we would be crushed in the stampede! I'm happy to report, however, that the 14 hour ride to Hunan province (in a soft-sleeper cabin) was actually quite pleasant.

What day did you depart?

I departed on January 4th... so it was before all the bad weather and stranded people... but it was still a crazy place!

I recently had the "pleasure" of departing from the Guangzhou railway station... there aren't words to describe the crowd and chaos... think New York's Penn Station times 1000! When they changed the platform number just prior to boarding, I thought for sure we would be crushed in the stampede! I'm happy to report, however, that the 14 hour ride to Hunan province (in a soft-sleeper cabin) was actually quite pleasant.

What day did you depart?

I departed on January 4th... so it was before all the bad weather and stranded people... but it was still a crazy place!

You were lucky! In the best of times the east train station is horrible.

Another update:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d1187fe8-d018-11...00779fd2ac.html

I feel for all those people, but they seem to be acclimated to the crush. I know my daughter and her friend still talk about the Guangzhou Station as being hell on earth!

There is a good, two paragraph analysis of the cause of the power shortage at the end of this article. I quoted part of it in another thread regarding partial de-regulation of the power industry.

Guest knloregon

GZBill you really think so?

My experience is that the East railway station is better than the Main railway station by a magnitude of 10, at least! ---for one thing, fewer theives...

GZBill you really think so?

My experience is that the East railway station is better than the Main railway station by a magnitude of 10, at least! ---for one thing, fewer theives...

You're right. I'm sorry. I confused east with west. The east train station is actually ok, but the west is horrible even in the best of time.