Yes, if the father is a US citizen, they can obtain a certificate of birth aboard and a US passport for the child at a US consulate. Then they should go the the Chinese police office, where foreigners apply for their Chinese visa, to get the exit permit (visa) for the Child.

The child can leave China with the US passport and Chinese exit permit, then enter US with the US passport.

I don't remember the exact procedure of the exit permit application. They should call ahead to find out which documents are needed for the process.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Rob & Jin

Has anyone obtained a exit permit for thier kid born in china? My son has his US passport already. If anyone has gotton one for thier child please fill me in on some of the details; length of application, length of validity, etc. TY :rolleyes:

If he is a USC why would he need a exit permit ?

Has anyone obtained a exit permit for thier kid born in china? My son has his US passport already. If anyone has gotton one for thier child please fill me in on some of the details; length of application, length of validity, etc. TY :rolleyes:

If he is a USC why would he need a exit permit ?

To leave China - usually, they will want to see a date of entry for someone who is leaving

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=198232

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
Guest Rob & Jin

I merged a post from Joanne to this topic. Since it is chronologically before this thread it is now the first post on the topic. Hope it doesn't confuse too much.

ummm, the OP said they have a USA passport for the child already. so why would they need permission from china to leave ?

Guest Rob & Jin

ok, so no entry stamp.

So if you lost your passport while in china, got a new one from the embassy, you wouldnt have an entry stamp either, so you couldnt leave ?

Just asking :smartass:

ok, so no entry stamp.

So if you lost your passport while in china, got a new one from the embassy, you wouldnt have an entry stamp either, so you couldnt leave ?

Just asking ;)

Another reason could be that this is how Chinese government prevent Chinese to have dual citizenship.

See, when you bring the child's passport to the visa office, it will be recorded, so that your child will not be able to hold a Chinese passport at the same time. This is only my guess (based on the fact that our daughter's Chinese passport was cancelled at that point).