Where did your SO's go to read up on the K-1 process?

Hi, as I have been attempting to wade through all the paperwork that this process requires, I have found myself wondering if there are any sites out there (in Chinese) that I could forward to my father's fiancee. Her English is not good at all, but she is working on it and I would like for her to be able to read about the process so that she knows what to expect when it is her turn to file paperwork and get documents ready for her interview. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, as I have been attempting to wade through all the paperwork that this process requires, I have found myself wondering if there are any sites out there (in Chinese) that I could forward to my father's fiancee. Her English is not good at all, but she is working on it and I would like for her to be able to read about the process so that she knows what to expect when it is her turn to file paperwork and get documents ready for her interview. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

hi melanie....i believe this is the website you seek for your father's fiance'e http://usa.bbs.net/bbs/01/index.html

I never found anything reliable enough in Chinese. The consulate has Chinese pages but they lead to English pages for substantive info.

If you want to give her something to read in Chinese that has a lot of info about America I'd suggest the Chinese version of the M-618, Welcome to the US, A Guide for New Immigrants. It's available here. It does not address the visa process.

I would not send her to the 001 or usa.bbs websites as there is appears to be some bad info put out there as you can see from a number of threads here at CFL. The last thing you want is for her to get off on a tangent and wind up working at cross purposes. Others may have different opinions about these Chinese sites.

I never found anything reliable enough in Chinese. The consulate has Chinese pages but they lead to English pages for substantive info.

If you want to give her something to read in Chinese that has a lot of info about America I'd suggest the Chinese version of the M-618, Welcome to the US, A Guide for New Immigrants. It's available here. It does not address the visa process.

I would not send her to the 001 or usa.bbs websites as there is appears to be some bad info put out there as you can see from a number of threads here at CFL. The last thing you want is for her to get off on a tangent and wind up working at cross purposes. Others may have different opinions about these Chinese sites.

sorry jim....have already send her the site....but if she just uses a little common sense, i think she can sift out what is good information from the bad

My concern is that her English is not very good yet. I would like to give her an overview of the process as well as explain to her what she will need to do before her interview. She has a cousin who has been interpreting for her and my father and she is currently enrolled in English classes 4 days a week. I just want to make sure that she is prepared and knows what she needs to do in order to gather the paperwork on her end. The only other option I can think of is to find another woman who has recently been through the process who could talk (email) to her and explain what she will need to do. I just want to make sure she understands the process and what she will need to do to complete her forms for her interview. I'm concerned that my explanations would be confusing to her with the language barrier. Any ideas? How much difficulty did your ladies have in completing the paperwork, or finding out specifically how things were to be filled out/gathered/translated/notarized...and anything else that I have not yet learned about?

I basically filled out all the forms and then reviewed them, with Lao Po, to ensure that they were accurate. Perhaps your father could do the same.

She was better equipped than I to get the various Chinese Notary documents, so she did so and we reviewed them together.

You might be able to find a recent K-1 wife or two who would be willing to call your father's bride to be. It tends to work better, both socially and from a dialect standpoint, if they are from the same city. Where does the lady in question live?

My concern is that her English is not very good yet. I would like to give her an overview of the process as well as explain to her what she will need to do before her interview. She has a cousin who has been interpreting for her and my father and she is currently enrolled in English classes 4 days a week. I just want to make sure that she is prepared and knows what she needs to do in order to gather the paperwork on her end. The only other option I can think of is to find another woman who has recently been through the process who could talk (email) to her and explain what she will need to do. I just want to make sure she understands the process and what she will need to do to complete her forms for her interview. I'm concerned that my explanations would be confusing to her with the language barrier. Any ideas? How much difficulty did your ladies have in completing the paperwork, or finding out specifically how things were to be filled out/gathered/translated/notarized...and anything else that I have not yet learned about?

Lots of good help here and everybody does it just a little different. I hired an attorney and had her sign all the forms during my visits there (3)! We also found several places in Shenzhen to help her with all of the paper work when she wanted some answers to all of this. My attorney also spoke Mandarin and called her twice to answer the "tougher" questions! :P It seems to have worked for me, will let you know for sure in 1-2 months! :)

I basically filled out all the forms and then reviewed them, with Lao Po, to ensure that they were accurate. Perhaps your father could do the same.

She was better equipped than I to get the various Chinese Notary documents, so she did so and we reviewed them together.

You might be able to find a recent K-1 wife or two who would be willing to call your father's bride to be. It tends to work better, both socially and from a dialect standpoint, if they are from the same city. Where does the lady in question live?

She lives in Changsha. My father will be traveling there again in a few months (he is taking my sister and I with him to meet her and her family), but I hate for him to have to wait that long before going over the documents with her before filing them (and since I am the one handling most of the paperwork for him, I would need to go over them with her). I know that neither I nor my father has the knowledge as to what to do or where to go for her to get her documents there in China before her interview. I guess I was just hoping that there were websites, like this one (only in chinese) that would help her understand the process, and perhaps tell her where she needs to go to get this document or that document etc.

Guest Rob & Jin

I have to agree with everything Jim has said (as usual). Plus you have plenty of time so no need to rush her. Takes a while for us to figure out, baby steps I guess is the way.

Good luck. :ph34r: