Daoism

Guest Rob & Jin

The overlap with western religion and Tao is interesting. Tao actually regards Jesus, Mohammed as "sages" along with LaoTse, Confucius and some others. If you look closely, many of the requirements of good character and behavior are similar.

Tao directs that it's followers should be vegetarian (not vegan, so eggs, milk products etc are allowed). I'm not there yet, but I've cut my meat consumption down to under 500 grams per week.

interesting... thanks for sharing what your doing.

and I think that the vegetarian diet is more a sect decision... since there is alot in Taoist medicine (of yin and yang) where meats and animal organs are ok to treat certain issues.

Umm, but fish and meats add to a balanced diet and mind.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I tend to agree, a diet is more varied and complete when fish and meats are added. For me, a complete absence of these foods would be difficult in a number of ways. I have chosen at this stage just to cut back, which I don't necessarily see as a bad thing. My understanding is that Tao is directing vegetarianism due to the cruelty to animals aspect rather than any possible health advantages. The leader of our group used to be a very well paid teppanyaki chef, but chose to quit the profession.

The overlap with western religion and Tao is interesting. Tao actually regards Jesus, Mohammed as "sages" along with LaoTse, Confucius and some others. If you look closely, many of the requirements of good character and behavior are similar.

Tao directs that it's followers should be vegetarian (not vegan, so eggs, milk products etc are allowed). I'm not there yet, but I've cut my meat consumption down to under 500 grams per week.

interesting... thanks for sharing what your doing.

and I think that the vegetarian diet is more a sect decision... since there is alot in Taoist medicine (of yin and yang) where meats and animal organs are ok to treat certain issues.

Living Christ; Living Buddha is a good book on the similiarities of Chirstioanity and Buddism. or between Christ and Buddha. I really liked the book, i tend to enjoy seeing how things relate than picking how they are different.

• 4 weeks later...

I really appreciate so many folks sharing their thoughts in this thread. Daoism, Zen....very fascinating subjects to say the least. I often visited temples while living in China and once was honored to be present when an 18-year-old monk, evidently a prodigy, was ordained as the abbot of the "Bamboo Temple" in Shantou, Guangdong. It was a fascinating ceremony. Bamboo Temple is a Chan teaching center, very small and non-descript. It is tucked away on a small side street and easily overlooked unless one knows where to go. I spoke to this 18-year-old a couple of days before the ceremony as one of my students and her family belonged to this particular temple. My student served as translator. From my all too limited understanding, the young man seemed to be pretty highly evolved in his outlook on things. From what I understand, he was abandoned on the temple doorsteps when he was an infant. He was raised by the monks and taught by the man who was head of the temple before him. Really interesting.

• 3 months later...

I tried to post this in the Philosophy and History Forum, but it wouldn't take, so I'll put it here.

I have long been a fan of Daoist philosophy in general and its applications to health and vitality in particular. I have studied and practiced qigong since 1980 and went into some depth with the practice while living in China. I have benefited greatly from this.

I was just wondering: What do you folks think of Daoist thought? Are you or your partner practitioners of qigong, Taiji, or meditation? Or, anything else you might want to say....

I been practicing Tai Chi for 12 years, Dao and Tai Chi share a relation with Dao being known as "The Way" Daoism is a good philosophy, may be better so than Confucius in which death is final, Daoism the spirt continues that is more in line with Christian thinking, just the same I do taiji more for the physical as a martial art, the meditation comes as a benefit, my thoughts anyway :-)