Where do I find dried Ginseng?

Guest knloregon

Ok, here is Fei's advice ~

~ we have bought this on line several times before as gifts for the inlaws, from a Chinese herbal clearing house in NYC. We also buy Alaska fish oil from the same source----great prices, very high quality, Father-In-Law very impressed with the gifts.

Kim: What is the name of the NYC herbal website?

Fei: Just tell them to Goggle.

Kim: They don't want to goggle, they want to know the name of the website.

Fei: Tell them to Goggle---give them a fish, they only eat one day. Teach them to fish, they eat for a life time.

Kim: You don't remember the name of the company do you?

Fei: No.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better half and I have both been down this road.

My advice, they may or may not care about what type of ginseng it is. It is the thought that counts.......

However, they will catch the expiration date. This is important to many Chinese people. They will defiantly look at the date to see if it is "good!"

I know that i sounds silly to many of us. However, it is an important to my 82 year-old uncle-in-law. In fact to many Chinese. I have already been here and done this 2 years previous with my wife and relatives. !

The purchase of ginseng is easy! Any Oriental) Korean, Japanese. Chinese, etc, etc) store will have it. The key IMHO, is smart shopping

freshness and date

cost of product

shipping costs due to the weight

time

Please remember to get it in the mail quick. The closer to Christmas, the cost will go up and the longer of the delay for delivery.

May I ask; why not a nice phone call/card, etc for Christmas? They may not be a believer in Christmas. Christmas in my home and in many Chinese realities is a mediocre event.

However......... Chinese New Year is something all together different. I can imagine my 82 year old uncle-in-law throwing fireworks in Chengdu, during this time of the year!

Just food for thought! You choose the appropriate time and gift. You know you're family better than I do.

However, ginseng is the least of your problems. It is easily carried by most Oriental stores. If problems, stop by any Korean vendors. If they don't carry ginseng, they have their citizenship revoked to Korea

Dave

We buy fresh at the grocery store, then powdered and candied a the China store. The candied is really quite good. I have no idea how it is made, but it is sliced thin, then dried maybe in sugar and another? We go through a bottle a week just eating it as a munchy.

Sounds good, and it is good for what exactly............ :rolleyes:

We buy fresh at the grocery store, then powdered and candied a the China store. The candied is really quite good. I have no idea how it is made, but it is sliced thin, then dried maybe in sugar and another? We go through a bottle a week just eating it as a munchy.

Sounds good, and it is good for what exactly............ :rolleyes:

Good to eat. :lol:

Honestly though, my mother swears about the health benifits a senior citizen can gain from it in the digestive tract area.

The taste reminds me of an after dinner mint that can be easily chewed. Nice fresh taste in your mouth with clean breath to boot.

A bottle of that is way cheaper than a small bag of candy, and more healthy for you too. :D

Sounds good, and it is good for what exactly............ :roller:

Good to eat. :roller:

Honestly though, my mother swears about the health benifits a senior citizen can gain from it in the digestive tract area.

The taste reminds me of an after dinner mint that can be easily chewed. Nice fresh taste in your mouth with clean breath to boot.

A bottle of that is way cheaper than a small bag of candy, and more healthy for you too. :roller:

Thanks for the info!!!!!! I was not sure if it was for digestive tract or something else?? :roller:

• 2 weeks later...

This is where I've gotten it before. Wisconsin ginseng is supposed to be some of the best. It's a little pricey though.

http://www.chinatownonlineusa.com/ginseng.htm

Thats where I get mine from. I'm happy with it.

My uncle planted some wild ginseng down on his Christmas tree farm in southern IL about 7 years back. But he passed away before he told anyone where he planted it. He's got a fortune in wild 'seng somewhere down there. I look for it every year when I go deer hunting but I haven't found it yet.

This is where I've gotten it before. Wisconsin ginseng is supposed to be some of the best. It's a little pricey though.

My uncle planted some wild ginseng down on his Christmas tree farm in southern IL about 7 years back. But he passed away before he told anyone where he planted it. He's got a fortune in wild 'seng somewhere down there. I look for it every year when I go deer hunting but I haven't found it yet.

Ask the USDA if you can borrow one of their inspection Beagles. :icecream:

We found ours at a Chinese Asian market, they put it in an oven to dry it then slices it up with a cutter. It was Wisconsin ginseng.

Truth be known, it is only because of senior member rogerluli¡¯s continual promotion of Wisconsin ginseng, as being superior; wherein, so many have fallen for his sales pitch. :icecream:

The large local Chinese supermarket in Sacramento, Wing Wah, sells only Canadian medium size root ginseng, by the barrel full. It is less expensive.

My wife and her family use it in making soup and when chopped, for tea. She says the quality is fine. :roller:

The last time I looked at the map of the USA (about two minutes ago) the only thing that separates Wisconsin from Canada, is a small strip of water, called Lake Superior. Its like saying apples from Northern California are better than apples from Southern Oregon. :ph34r:

I just thought I would mention this to stir-the-pot a little. :cold:

near a spring or running water is always a good place for wild sing. He might have planted it in a natural place.