K-2/4 Interview Policy

jim_julian

In the case of K-2 and K-4 visas I believe policy states that it is at the post¡¯s discretion if children under the age of 14 are required to interview. I do not see this addressed on your website. Would you please state the Guangzhou post¡¯s policy with respect to interviewing K-2 and K-4 children under the age of 14?

Related, a question has been raised concerning K2/4 Follow To Join children. In those cases where the child is required to interview, would you please confirm that the child can interview with the K1/3 candidate from which the K2/4 is derived, or the K2/4 can alternately interview after the K1/3 successfully interviews.

As always, thank you for your response.

• 1 month later...

Dear CFL,

In general, all children beneficiaries, even those under the age of 14, are required to attend an interview before being issued a visa. A consular officer may, in exceptional circumstances, choose to waive this requirement for children under the age of 14, but such a waiver is exceedingly rare.

Your understanding of follow-to-join K2/4 cases is correct. These applicants can either interview with the principal beneficiary or attend a separate interview sometime later. The important thing to remember is that visa issuance for K2/4 follow-to-join beneficiaries must take place within a year of the issuance of the principal beneficiary's K1/K3 visa. If a year passes, the follow-to-join child loses his or her eligibility for derivative benefits, and a separate petition must be filed in order for that child to immigrate.

Sincerely,

USCONGUZ

In the case of K-2 and K-4 visas I believe policy states that it is at the post¡¯s discretion if children under the age of 14 are required to interview. I do not see this addressed on your website. Would you please state the Guangzhou post¡¯s policy with respect to interviewing K-2 and K-4 children under the age of 14?

Related, a question has been raised concerning K2/4 Follow To Join children. In those cases where the child is required to interview, would you please confirm that the child can interview with the K1/3 candidate from which the K2/4 is derived, or the K2/4 can alternately interview after the K1/3 successfully interviews.

As always, thank you for your response.

• 1 month later...

Dear CFL,

Yes, FTJ applicants can interview with their parents even if they won't be traveling for 6 months or more afterwards. From the Consulate's point of view, it is preferable for all applicants to interview at the same time, even if one or more will follow-to-join later.

Sincerely,

USCONGUZ

If the follow-to-join is to be delayed by more than 6 months, can the K-2/4 still interview with the parent? Visa issuance would need to be delayed with a blue-slip or some other method to keep it from expiring before it would be used.