A question about 10 year Green Card filing

As part of the packet being sent to the government with I-751 there is mention made of FD-258 form for biometrics. Do we have to fill this out in advance or is this provided when we go for fingerprinting?

Ken

FD-258 is only used for overseas filing of I-751, if you do it in the states, the biometrics appointment handles the finger printing

I know there's no point in asking this .. but does anyone understand why there is an additional biometrics appointment to lift conditions?

I can see some point in having a biometrics appointment in the US after the fiancee arrives for the conditional greencards (although I can't really see why that can't be done as part of the process overseas either ... but it's different departments, so .. ok ...)

But here, my wife's appearance hasn't changed that drastically in the past two years, and her fingerprints certainly haven't changed, so it makes absolutely no sense to me at all why she'd have to go for biometrics again. Why aren't they saved as part of the conditional application, and then reused for the application to remove conditions. It seems like an incredible waste of time and money. I mean, I know this is the gubbamint, but c'mon.

You have to do it when you file AOS, when you remove conditions and again if you decide to become an American citizen. They belong to the Dept of Redundancy Dept.

Well that does explain it.

I just checked the USCIS website and see you also have to do biometrics and pay the fee when you file your I-90 to replace the green card after its 10 year validity (if you don't go the citizenship route, that is).

To the powers that be: Charge a higher fee if necessary, but again, since your fingerprints don't change, I just don't get it. This is a waste of time, resources and everyone's money.

Could it be so you don't illegally bring in some person who looks almost like your SO and try to pass them off as him/her to circumvent immigration? lol

Well, I guess all Chinese girls do look alike :lol:

But then why make all greencard holders go through the hassle? :blink:

Seriously, though, I did think of that ... a check every ten years to make sure it's the same person ... checking the pictures and prints against the last set ... but somehow I doubt that happens.

I think it's more about just "going thru the motions" type of process.

Biometrics will be mandatory for any and all forms that call for them regardless if a person has done it once or ten times. It's all about "the process". It's easier to go thru the routine than trying to pull up and match biometrics that has already been done on tens of thousands of people.

I think it's more about just "going thru the motions" type of process.

Biometrics will be mandatory for any and all forms that call for them regardless if a person has done it once or ten times. It's all about "the process". It's easier to go thru the routine than trying to pull up and match biometrics that has already been done on tens of thousands of people.

That's what I think. Which is why I find it such a waste of time, resources and money. People's fingerprints don't change. If they were taken once, they'll be the same.

I *guess* it provides an opportunity every 10 years (or 2 if for removing conditions) to check if the individual has committed some offense, and then give the option of rejecting the issuance of the new green card, but it still seems to me that they can keep a database of fingerprints that they can check against all the time for wrongdoers (they seem to do that all the time on CSI ... :rolleyes: ).

I renewed my Driver's License recently and was able to do *almost* everything online. I had to see an optometrist (which I had to anyway) to verify my vision, but then just filled out a form online and they sent me my new license with my picture from 10 years ago. If you had to pay for a the eye exam, it would be more expensive, but I was doing it anyway, and I was out of state when my license expired, so it was easier that way. I don't see why green card renewals can't be something similar (but obviously, for a host of reasons, somewhat different since a background check is necessary).

Could it be so you don't illegally bring in some person who looks almost like your SO and try to pass them off as him/her to circumvent immigration? lol

OR perhaps your SO got into a tremendous accident, and now looks different due to facial reconstruction surgery, as well as fingerprints disfigured by the ball of fire.

They do want to keep the biometric data updated for these things! :rolleyes: