New and Feeling Overwhelmed

Hi everybody! My name is Zack and I am so thankful I found this site as its full of great info. I'll just jump right into things....I just got back from China 10 days ago where I got to spend time with my wonderful Kun. Now I want to go back as soon as possible and marry her. This is where I start to feel overwhelmed. The whole visa application process seems so daunting. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Before I got to China again, I want to get my Affidavit of Single Status translated so I don't have to deal with that while in China. Will the Consulate that authenticates my Single Status affidavit also translate this document or do I have to find somewhere else to get it translated? Also, I have seen conflicting information about what exactly I need to get married in China; for example., a Chinese residence permit. My concern regarding this is, what's a Chinese residence permit and how do I get one? Sorry if this is a redundant post. I tried to thoroughly look for this answer before I posted this.

Hi everybody! My name is Zack and I am so thankful I found this site as its full of great info. I'll just jump right into things....I just got back from China 10 days ago where I got to spend time with my wonderful Kun. Now I want to go back as soon as possible and marry her. This is where I start to feel overwhelmed. The whole visa application process seems so daunting. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Before I got to China again, I want to get my Affidavit of Single Status translated so I don't have to deal with that while in China. Will the Consulate that authenticates my Single Status affidavit also translate this document or do I have to find somewhere else to get it translated? Also, I have seen conflicting information about what exactly I need to get married in China; for example., a Chinese residence permit. My concern regarding this is, what's a Chinese residence permit and how do I get one? Sorry if this is a redundant post. I tried to thoroughly look for this answer before I posted this.

Hi Zack,

Welcome to CFL!

I was married in China & you do not need a Chinese Resident Permit; only the Affidavit of Single Status & also copies of your Divorce Decree(s) if any. Also, I believe your birth Certificate, it has been a while so I forget what else. I'm sure others will straighten me out, there are a lot of nice & knowledgable people here! We did all the Translations in China though...

Good luck!

Steve

Guest ShaQuaNew

Welcome, and congratulations on your new found love. There are several members on this site that can provide support from a variety of different positions. I chose to go the K-route, meaning a fiance visa. This gave us the opportunity to grow our relationship while waiting the many months for paperwork to pass though the approval channels.

Again, good luck and welcome.

:rolleyes:

My husband got his Affidavit of Single Status in Guangzhou Consulate which was both in Chinese and English, we didn't pay any fee for it either. We used it for our marriage registration in China.

Welcome to CFL

If you went the K-1 fiancee visa route you wouldn't have to go back to China and marry first. You could file now having met the meeting in person requirement. It is also usually a couple of months faster.

Edited by warpedbored (see edit history)

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20240

See this topic for all the details. It is cheaper to get the translations done in China. Welcome to CFL.

Charles is right, things are quite a bit more expensive when done here in the US as opposed to doing the same things in China. My wife and I did the translations in Nanning the day before we got married :mbounce:

Good luck in your quest.... One thing, you didn't indicate how long you knew Kun... I would want to butt in and say slow down if you have not known here long... that first trip to china can blow your mind and not let you think rationally sometimes, beleive, I was there.

Edited by NewDay2006 (see edit history)

Hi Zack.

Another Land of Lincolner. Welcome to CFL. :mbounce:

You've come to the right place. You'll get plenty of info, advice and support here. Many knowledgeable and helpful folks. I speak from experience as I'm off tomorrow to see my Christine and prep her for

her interview Oct. 11 and I wouldn't be in this position if it weren't for Candle and all the great members here.

You'll get many valid suggestions and sincere opinions on whether you should do K1 or K3. Take them all in,consider them and make the decision that's right for YOU. That's the best advice I can give regarding that.

Best of luck to you.

Dave

Welcome to CFL, Zack,

Here is another link :http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15511

I was K3. I took my certified divorce copies to the consulate at GUZ and they issued the certificate to marry. Took that to the civil affairs office in her hometown (Shenzhen) and they performed the ceremony and issued the red marriage book.

Good Luck,

Hank

Hi Zack,

welcome to CFL

I just back from China,3 weeks ago.I got married there.All I needed was the "single status affidavit", divorce documents( if you have been divorced).And of course your passport.I didn't need a "Chinese resident permit".I got my "single affidavit done along with my Visa,at "Visarite.com",It wasn't too expensive,I had it done in US,because i figured I wanted to spend time with my girl,not in goverment offices.Yeah at first the whole Visa thing is mind-blowing,but after awhile you catch on,and don't worry about asking questions,I know I asked plenty of questions that has been probably asked a million times on here already,and everyone on here was kind enough to answer them.And also ,like someone said,you don't have to go back to marry her,you can marry her here in USA. file the fiance visa.

Good Luck and like Illinois-Dave, hello from someone else in Illinois!! :D

You will need a single certificate from our local Consulate and if you want help write me direct and I will save you much time and stress. I know who to send your stuff to along with the cost. It took me three times with the Chinese Consulate to get it right!!

:o :D :D

Hello Zack, Dave and Shenzen K-1......I also am another from Illinois. iI filed ours in July also and recieved case# July 13th. Is this what is known as P-1? I apologize for not yet editing my profile to show the progress of relationship as others have done, but is a very busy time of year for me and will do so when time allows. Just want to say that I think this is a very good forum. Very friendly and helpful people here, and a ton of information at the fingertips. I hope to soon be a more active participant here and a special thanks to all who have helped me here already.

Hi Zack,

I am sorry that I missed this when you first posted at the beginning of the month, as I had just come home from a visit to my wife and daughter almost the same day, and needed a day and a half to overcome 2.5 weeks of China time.

I know first-hand, that this entire process can appear to be ¡°overwhelming¡± when one starts to read all that is posted here at CFL by many knowledgeable members. I think, however, if you approach this in steps, and maybe look ahead one or two steps at a time, and then keep moving on as a step is completed, you will find it is not so daunting and you will also become more comfortable with the process the more you read, study and absorb.

With respect to the single status certificate aspect, which I am sure you may have already accomplished by now ? If it is going to be some weeks before you return to the PRC, you can easily obtain it here in the USA., as you have a Chinese Consulate within your state at Chicago. The PRC Chicago website (under sub-section: Authentication) has a great description of the steps necessary.

If you take care of it in the US, you do not need to show or bring a divorce certificate at this time; moreover, most likely at your young age, this is not an issue with you. You are only certifying or swearing under oath, that you are currently single, that is all. You fill out the G-1 form and the affidavit of being single, and you take them to your local notary public, ID yourself and attest to the truthfulness of your affidavit. Next, you take or mail that form to your respective Secretary of State Office, wherein they certify that the Notary is a valid one and attach their pretty form with the big gold seal on it (in Calif. anyway) pay them their 20 to 25 bucks and express mail the G-1 and the affidavit with the certifying documents to the Consulate in Chicago, along with a check for $20 fee+ $5 for mailing, and they will attach their certification (in Chinese) and mail it back to you. I had mine back from the Consulate in SF in four days, with standard handling/processing.

You did not mention what city in China your SO is in; however, with respect to Guangzhou (my knowledge base) and I suspect other larger cities, you can take that package of forms along with you passport, to the local civil marriage office and complete the process in between 1.5 to 2 hours, depending on how many others are there at the same time. You first meet with the administrator, who will review your single certificate and most importantly the document from the PRC Consulate in the USA, as well as your passport and PRC Visa. I had a certified copy of my divorce available, but she did not want to see it. They are only interested in the certification that you are single at that time and eligible to marry a Chinese citizen.

At that point you will pay her the primary admin fee. Next, you will go to the translation unit, which they did not have within the same building in years past; but they now have in GZ at least. For a fee of about 250 RMB, they will translate all of the English into Chinese. This takes about 25 to 30 minutes; again depending on how busy they are. From there you go to another window and they take all of your paperwork and fill out some more forms. Next, you go to the photo unit, where they will take the photo for that little red marriage book that Hank spoke of, as well as, optional marriage photos of you and Lao Po, for insertion in a nice commemorative photo album.

Last, you will be ushered into a small auditorium style room where the actual civil ceremony will take place. You will both stand at a podium, with the red curtain backdrop, the Chinese flag, and in large gold Chinese symbols, the name of the city and government unit, and the current date. You will recite the official government vows to each other, you in English and she in Chinese. Then you will both sign the official marriage document in front of the administrator, kiss your new wife, while the official government photographer takes more photos and that is it.

In about 30 minutes, the marriage books with photos and the commemorative book are all ready for pick up.

As indicated here; I, too, am going the K-3 (spousal visa) route and married her in China. This is a matter of personal circumstance and personal preference; what is right, is what is right for you and her, as well as your budget. I opted to marry in China, because it was important to her and her family; moreover, I am one of the two or three oldest active members here, so my budget is a little more flexible and I have enjoyed my multiple trips to China to better understand her life, family/friends and culture.

In the past, most of the K-1¡¯s (fiancee visas) were somewhat faster than the K-3¡¯s. In the past year or so this has tightened up a lot and now they run quite close. I took a look at the last four K-1¡¯s and K-3¡¯s, on the CFL stat board and they were very close and within one or two weeks of these figures: K-1: 9.5-9-8-7.5 months. K-3: 7.5-8-8-8 months. As you will learn here in the weeks ahead, associated with the K-3 process is also the CR-1 process, which is taking a little longer now, but has certain benefits over the K-3. I have made a personal decision to just go with the K-3, if it continues to be apparent, that it will beat out the CR-1.

As others have done, I wish you well in your journey. :angry: