Passed Driving Test

She passed! For those who read this post:Failed Driving Test (without ever driving)

You may recall that the TN driver examiner wouldn't let Lily start the test because

Lily couldn't understand her severe East TN accent.

I rescheduled the exam for this morning at 8 am at a different examing station in the small town of Rockwood TN.

Yesterday I had called the help-line for the TN Dept of Safety in Nashville and after holding for 15 minutes, I spoke with a rep.

I explained the way Lily was treated last time, and asked her if there was a way to avoid this, such as

having an interpretor (me) in the car. She put me on hold to ask a supervisor then came back on and said that no one was allowed in the car except the examiner and examinee.

She went on to explain that the examiner should be able to communicate using hand signals.

I asked her what to do if Lily was refused again and she replied that I should immediately ask to speak to the supervisor at that station.

Lily and I arrived early and filled out the application. When the female examiner came out, I asked her to speak slowly and use hand signals. She replied that Lily must be able to understand voice instructions.

I pleasantly explained in a non-threatening tone that I had called Nashville and was told differently.

I don't know if this worked or if the examiner happened to be a more tolerant and patient lady than we had the first go-round. (I could tell she honesly liked Lily when we were filling the application).

After checking turn signals, headlights, etc, they exited the parking lot and returned in about 15 minutes. The examiner told me "She Passed. The only thing she did wrong was crossed some railroad tracks too fast and shook the car fairly hard"

After they took Lily's photo, the examiner brought the new license out and handed it to Lily.

Lily said, "thank you so much......I want to hug you"..............the lady smiled and let her. The examiner cracked up when I said, "My dear, you can not hug the police"

Lily is ecstatic and is currently calling all family/friends in China.

The last episode had really cracked her confidence.

She passed! For those who read this post:Failed Driving Test (without ever driving)

You may recall that the TN driver examiner wouldn't let Lily start the test because

Lily couldn't understand her severe East TN accent.

I rescheduled the exam for this morning at 8 am at a different examing station in the small town of Rockwood TN.

Yesterday I had called the help-line for the TN Dept of Safety in Nashville and after holding for 15 minutes, I spoke with a rep.

I explained the way Lily was treated last time, and asked her if there was a way to avoid this, such as

having an interpretor (me) in the car. She put me on hold to ask a supervisor then came back on and said that no one was allowed in the car except the examiner and examinee.

She went on to explain that the examiner should be able to communicate using hand signals.

I asked her what to do if Lily was refused again and she replied that I should immediately ask to speak to the supervisor at that station.

Lily and I arrived early and filled out the application. When the female examiner came out, I asked her to speak slowly and use hand signals. She replied that Lily must be able to understand voice instructions.

I pleasantly explained in a non-threatening tone that I had called Nashville and was told differently.

I don't know if this worked or if the examiner happened to be a more tolerant and patient lady than we had the first go-round. (I could tell she honesly liked Lily when we were filling the application).

After checking turn signals, headlights, etc, they exited the parking lot and returned in about 15 minutes. The examiner told me "She Passed. The only thing she did wrong was crossed some railroad tracks too fast and shook the car fairly hard"

After they took Lily's photo, the examiner brought the new license out and handed it to Lily.

Lily said, "thank you so much......I want to hug you"..............the lady smiled and let her. The examiner cracked up when I said, "My dear, you can not hug the police"

Lily is ecstatic and is currently calling all family/friends in China.

The last episode had really cracked her confidence.

Great news, tell Lily CONGRATULATIONS!! ;)

I was sorry to hear how she was treated last time & am very glad to hear everything went smoothly today!

Great! ;)

You must live in the better part of TN.

Hopefully you wont have a nightmare like this VJ member when renewing the license using the conditional green card.

SEE: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...c=82419&hl=

Congratulations, Lily!!!

"You'ns dun gud"...... :lol:

Steve

( sorry, I couldn't resist one last jab at the hillbilly examiner)

Steve,

:lol: As Lily would say, "no sorry"

This examiner wasn't near as bad as the first. Lily did ask me after the test what "rot" meant. I didn't know and asked under what circumstances the examiner used this word. After she acted it out, I realized the examiner had told her to turn "rot" at the traffic "lot".

Hay............ah wuz bornt hyere........ah shud uv knowt ta lurn ma little lao po whut rot wuz. ;)

:lol:

You can't hug the police.

also

CONGRATS!

:lol:

Great! :blink:

You must live in the better part of TN.

Hopefully you wont have a nightmare like this VJ member when renewing the license using the conditional green card.

SEE: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...c=82419&hl=

Wow! Thanks for steering me to this link, Dan. I didn't know any of this concerning the TN Certificate for Driving. I assumed Lily would take her green card in, when she gets it, and exchange the Certificate for Driving for a real Driver's License.

I read all 6 pages of this thread. Is it your interpretation that on Oct. 1, 2007 it will be a moot point?

thanks,

Hank