Translator during interview

My wife's AOS interview is coming up in early August. Since she only speaks Mandarin/Chinese, can I be her translator at the interview? I speak fluent Mandarin/Chinese and of course English...

Anyone with similar experience during AOS interview?

Translators must not be family members (although some have reported using other family members), but may be of your own choosing.

If you don't have a translator with you, they may reschedule for a later date.

You cannot be the translator. During my wife's AOS interview, she didn't understand one question and the VO rescheduled her interview. I couldn't translate for her. During the second AOS interview, her sister was the translator. However, I heard some VO won't allow any family members to be the translator.

I don't think the IO will allow you to translate for your wife. All you can do is go to the interview and see what happens. It all depends on what your IO says.

If you think your wife needs a translator then you might want to find one. If you can't find one then go to the interview and see what happens.

-good luck

The USCIS website is pretty specific that you are not supposed to use a family member for a translator. Anyone else is ok.

Hey Carl (or TY99) would you have the link to the USCIS section where they specifically talk about this issue? After the conversion at USCIS, I'm not able to find it.

Thanks.

I looked a little while for it but it has been 3 years since I read it. I believe it was at my field offices website but when I went there it has all changed. I'll try and dig it up tomorrow if someone else doesn't find it.

It was explained to me by our IO the reason and that is of partiality. The family member will insert words and meanings into a phrase or answer and ruins the whole integrity of the process.

(Their words, not mine)

The translator is sworn in and must show ID.

http://www.immihelp.com/greencard/adjustme.../interview.html

This site said an interpreter can be a relative.

Helpful read Tony. thanks for the link.

Interpreter

If you are not comfortable in English, you need to bring a friend, relative or hire an interpreter to help. The interpreter must be over 18 and fluent in both your language and English. The interpreter must be legal resident or US citizen.

Interpreter is not provided by USCIS at the interview in the US. Even though some officers may speak either Spanish or other languages, you may not get such officer and you can't request one.

For marriage based green card interview, your spouse won't be allowed to be an interpreter as it reduces USCIS's ability to compare the answers and detect marriage frauds.

Adjudicator's Field Manual - Redacted Public Version \ Chapter 15 Interviewing. \ 15.7 Use of Interpreters.

15.7 Use of Interpreters.

Following are guidelines for interviews requiring the use of interpreters:

• If the person being questioned exhibits difficulty in speaking and understanding English, arrangements should be made for use of an interpreter even though the person may be willing to proceed without an interpreter. Any doubt should be resolved in favor of the use of an interpreter.

Ideally, the services of a disinterested person should be employed as an interpreter. However, in the exercise of judgment, a witness, friend, or relative of the subject may be utilized as an interpreter, depending upon the issues involved and the possibility of adverse action against the subject.

• If the interpreter used is an employee of USCIS or DHS, he or she need not be sworn. He or she should, however, be identified for the record.

• If the interpreter is not a USCIS or DHS employee, he or she should be identified and questioned as to his ability to speak and translate into English the language of the person being questioned, and vice versa. Also, he or she should be placed under oath to interpret and translate all questions and answers accurately and literally. The interpreter's oath should be administered as follows:

"Do you solemnly swear (or affirm) that in connection with this proceedings you will truthfully, literally, and fully translate the questions asked by me into the _______ language and that you will truthfully, literally, and fully translate answers to such questions into the English language?"

If a verbatim record is made, the oath should be shown in the record.

Adjudicator's Field Manual - Redacted Public Version \ Chapter 15 Interviewing. \ 15.7 Use of Interpreters.

15.7 Use of Interpreters.

Following are guidelines for interviews requiring the use of interpreters:

• If the person being questioned exhibits difficulty in speaking and understanding English, arrangements should be made for use of an interpreter even though the person may be willing to proceed without an interpreter. Any doubt should be resolved in favor of the use of an interpreter.

Ideally, the services of a disinterested person should be employed as an interpreter. However, in the exercise of judgment, a witness, friend, or relative of the subject may be utilized as an interpreter, depending upon the issues involved and the possibility of adverse action against the subject.

• If the interpreter used is an employee of USCIS or DHS, he or she need not be sworn. He or she should, however, be identified for the record.

• If the interpreter is not a USCIS or DHS employee, he or she should be identified and questioned as to his ability to speak and translate into English the language of the person being questioned, and vice versa. Also, he or she should be placed under oath to interpret and translate all questions and answers accurately and literally. The interpreter's oath should be administered as follows:

"Do you solemnly swear (or affirm) that in connection with this proceedings you will truthfully, literally, and fully translate the questions asked by me into the _______ language and that you will truthfully, literally, and fully translate answers to such questions into the English language?"

If a verbatim record is made, the oath should be shown in the record.

"Depending" is the operative word. It really all depends on the IO at the day of the interview. They can either be lenient or they can be stringent. It all depends.

Ours was a fair man. My wife would look at me for help on something she didn't understand and I would help her out. The IO didn't interfere.

In actual practice, my wife understood 75% of what the AOS interviewer told her. The remaining 25% I translated into Chinglish and some Chinese for her in the presence of the interviewer and it was no problem.

The real question is whether or not your wife's lack of English will impact the 'believability' of your AOS case.

May not supposed to be that way, but I'd be really surprised if it didn't play a role. They scrutinized the snot out of our case. We'll just say I will have 20 times the documentation for my wife's 10 year card.

Edited by mercator (see edit history)