Do yourself a favor, stay in a REAL hotel!

ct_shore2000

Still, the facts are the facts:

1) He has no hotel license. His business is illegal. (He has not yet posted a copy of his license as I requested in my original post.)

2) Anything and everything that may happen to you is your and only your responsibility when you stay at an unlicensed hotel, unlike a real hotel.

3) Yes, you too can get into trouble with the police for staying at his hotel. (How many of you actually go to the police department to register when you stay there, for example? A real hotel does that for you. I've lived in China quite a while. I've known at least two people who ran into trouble with the police for staying at an illegal hotel, one of them fined quite heavily).

Yet with the facts you have stated, you elected to stay there also! :D ;)

Sorry for your misfortune, but being the good reports on Mr. Yang's has outweighed the bad reports, I am looking forward to seeking shelter and assistance from him in the near future at an affordable price.

Besides, I am always up for a bit of an adventure and daring. Isn't that what traveling is all about?

I'm happy that even with your difficulties while in Guangzhou, you achieved your visa. Congrats!

Clayton

Edited by clayton2103 (see edit history)
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still, the facts are the facts:

1) He has no hotel license. His business is illegal. (He has not yet posted a copy of his license as I requested in my original post.)

2) Anything and everything that may happen to you is your and only your responsibility when you stay at an unlicensed hotel, unlike a real hotel.

3) Yes, you too can get into trouble with the police for staying at his hotel. (How many of you actually go to the police department to register when you stay there, for example? A real hotel does that for you. I've lived in China quite a while. I've known at least two people who ran into trouble with the police for staying at an illegal hotel, one of them fined quite heavily).

Yet with the facts you have stated, you elected to stay there also! :D ;)

Sorry for your misfortune, but being the good reports on Mr. Yang's has outweighed the bad reports, I am looking forward to seeking shelter and assistance from him in the near future at an affordable price.

Besides, I am always up for a bit of an adventure and daring. Isn't that what traveling is all about?

I'm happy that even with your difficulties while in Guangzhou, you achieved your visa. Congrats!

Clayton

Yes and only in 6 months , too.

Yet with the facts you have stated, you elected to stay there also! :blink: :o

Clayton

Ditto!

I was leaning more toward someone posing as Mr Yang than doubting that the OP had a bad experience. Further reports will bear out whether or not it is true. I emailed Mr Yang and invited him to post his side of the story.

I just spoke with Zhen about her recent stay at Mr. Yangs for her interview. Her response was that the hotel was very clean and Mr. Mr Yang was "enthusiastic to help". I think the OP was shanghai'd into some other rooming facility.

The hotel was very clean and Mr. Yang was "enthusiastic to help"; that's all I've ever heard anyone say about it.

I too, think the OP was duped!

(duped=shanghai'd) :P

Sorry guys, but I know I am not duped. I'm not just a newbie on my first trip to China. Most of the last 5 years I've lived in China with my SO and know the drill. I was NOT shanghai'd unless the contact information listed here is wrong, in which case all of you have been talking to someone else too.

You can stay where you like when you go for your interview. It's not important to me. But please read my previous post because no one can dispute any of those 3 items, not a one. They are facts. Period.

As a sidenote though, my SO saw the postings replying to mine and the only comment she had was that "some people in Mr Yang's office must be logging on here posting these comments". I know some of you are real because I know you personally, but living in China for 5 years, she's probably right about some of you too.

I don't know anything about Mr. Yang or the other place in the consulate building. I've read everything posted here about those two places and everything seems kosher, but I suppose anything can happen, even with the Yang's. You had a very bad experience, something no one wants to go through. Thanks for posting it. My SO and I stayed at the Victory Hotel on Shaimen Island the first time I visited Guangzhou (July 2006). Great place!! The Island itself is a wonderful place too. I got great rates (only $35.00 a night), room was extra clean and bed was actually "soft" in comparison to most beds in China. But Shaimen Island is a bit far from the Consulate so we elected to stay closer for our interview trip. We stayed at the Concordia which is an apartment complex (30 story building and it's all apartments). There are several more in this same complex. They form a kind of circle around a huge swimming pool, tennis courts, garden area and place where kids can play safely on playground equipment. Our apartment was on the 5th floor, the A/C worked great, computer hookup and use included in price of the room. An oven, a washing machine, a microwave, nice size refrigerator, sitting room, small kitchen, nice bathroom and the atypical "HARD" bed. Lots of TV channels (mostly Chinese but 3 were English). Apartment was cleaned every day. You call ahead and check on availability of apartment. If they have one, they'll hold it for you. We didn't pay them any reservation money, we paid them the day we arrived and the room was ready. They have a security guard at the ground floor door. You have a key to your apartment and a card that you use to open the ground floor door (security card reader just outside the main floor door to the building). Security Guard stayed outside the door most of the time we were there but he also has a station just inside the door. Our daily rate was $32.00 USD a night. I paid for 10 days and other than the extremely HARD bed, the place was very satisfactory. The Concordia is located about 2 blocks to the left of the Consulate on the same side of the main road, less than a 5 minute walk, and sits kind of behind the Consulate on a smaller side street. No touts, no shills bothered us. Lots of small stores to buy some food items, you can walk to the subway (5 minutes) and ride over to T-Mall if you want to see a movie or do your shopping there. There are tons of places to eat within easy walking distance. I'm not telling anyone to stay at the Concordia Apartments, but it was a nice enough place at a good price. Just offering an alternate place to stay when in Guangzhou. And yes, the brand new Westin Hotel next to the Consulate is open and is super nice. We walked by it many times. Always very busy and I'm sure it also has the 5-Star price, but if that's your thing, then it would be the place to stay.