Must one show evidence for ALL the things shown on Q #7 of I-134?

Both my father (co-sponsor) and I are filling out the I-134. The most confusing part for BOTH of us has to be question #7. We just aren't sure exactly what they want. I guess the general question is... do we have to provide evidence for EVERY slot we fill in? Like our family has bought life insurance, so both of us will fill in the amount--must we also provide a copy of our life insurance policy? It seems kind of strange... but this goes a long as well with the others.... real estate/mortgage/etc... do we have to have some sort of documentation showing those too? I, myself, don't have any, but my father certainly does.

I do understand that we have to show the official, called "usual" required items like bank statements & tax returns. Thanks.

Edited by Tiger320 (see edit history)

I needed a co-sopnsor too. On my I-134 I listed my income, and all my assets, house, insurance and things. I had enough in assets but they still wanted a co-sponsor, so my co-sponsor filled out the I-134, and his income is enough to exceed the poverty level for his family, and mine. No other listings from him about life insurance or anything else as long as they exceed the poverty level for the amount of people they sponsor.

I needed a co-sopnsor too. On my I-134 I listed my income, and all my assets, house, insurance and things. I had enough in assets but they still wanted a co-sponsor, so my co-sponsor filled out the I-134, and his income is enough to exceed the poverty level for his family, and mine. No other listings from him about life insurance or anything else as long as they exceed the poverty level for the amount of people they sponsor.

Ah, thank you. Both of us will in life insurance as we have some, but are you saying that he doesn't have to "show the evidence," but still list it if he has it? Or just not write anything at all as long as his income is sufficient? :D Thanks again.

He will not need to list it if his income is over the poverty level enough to support everyone. You should list everything you have in assets and income and have copies of the proof. He should not forget his tax returns.

Edited by rlheim (see edit history)

My understanding is that you only have to provide Tax returns and (Bank statements or a letter from your job stating your salary). The rest of the info requested does not require evidence of proof. The form does require it to be notorarized and that the statements you are making are true.

My understanding is that you only have to provide Tax returns and (Bank statements or a letter from your job stating your salary). The rest of the info requested does not require evidence of proof. The form does require it to be notorarized and that the statements you are making are true.

Our I-134 consisted of:

• I-134 signed and notarized.
  • IRS Returns (1040, W2, 1099) for past 3 years, 1 is required the other 2 are optional but I included them anyway.
  • IRS Transcripts for past 3 years, the above or the transcripts work, I believe in a little redundancy.
  • Letter from employer, quoting salary, full time permanent position, job description, on company letter head.
  • Pay stubs for past 6 months.

Keep in mind the consulate treats k-visas just like other immigrant visas and processes them through the immigrant unit, they hold the I-134 to the same standards of the I-864, and use the income evidence requirements of the I-864 with the I-134.

Assets are only needed to be listed if income is below 125% poverty line, providing the information when it is not needed only gives the consular officer something else to ask questions about.

I would say that ANY figure you put on this form, you should be able to provide evidence for that number. I would not try to split hairs over the idea that I have to 'prove my income' but I don't have to 'prove my assets'... It feels too inconsistent for the same form.

Whether in 'practice' it is in fact inconsisent is another issue; I'm talking about preparation and I think it's 'best practice' to be able to prove any figure you put on an Affidavit of Support form...

I would say that ANY figure you put on this form, you should be able to provide evidence for that number. I would not try to split hairs over the idea that I have to 'prove my income' but I don't have to 'prove my assets'... It feels too inconsistent for the same form.

Whether in 'practice' it is in fact inconsisent is another issue; I'm talking about preparation and I think it's 'best practice' to be able to prove any figure you put on an Affidavit of Support form...

Exactly!! Any number you put on that form needs evidence to prove the number. I put ZERO for assets, it is very easy to prove a Zero, income was more than enough to satisfy them.

I have a little different situation. On my I-134, I almost exclusively listed my assets because my income income is almost nil (Got laid off from my job and havent gone back, mainly so I can spend extended periods of time with my sweetie). My assets (house, car, investments) put me well above the poverty level at almost 7 figures. For evidence, I have included the required tax transcripts, letter from my bank stating all the required information, copy of recent investment portfolios showing values, copy of deed to the house with recent tax bill showing value, and copy of vehicle tax bill showing its value.

I will let you know how it goes.

I have a little different situation. On my I-134, I almost exclusively listed my assets because my income income is almost nil (Got laid off from my job and havent gone back, mainly so I can spend extended periods of time with my sweetie). My assets (house, car, investments) put me well above the poverty level at almost 7 figures. For evidence, I have included the required tax transcripts, letter from my bank stating all the required information, copy of recent investment portfolios showing values, copy of deed to the house with recent tax bill showing value, and copy of vehicle tax bill showing its value.

Get a co-sponsor, the co-sponsor has to show as being above the line, not you, you can show a I-134 with no assets. You are working too hard at this.

I am a firm believer of keeping it as simple as possible when it comes to the I-134.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)
Get a co-sponsor, the co-sponsor has to show as being above the line, not you, you can show a I-134 with no assets. You are working too hard at this.

I am a firm believer of keeping it as simple as possible when it comes to the I-134.

My attorney who has successfully processed over 300 k1 visas has assured me that there will be no problem with it. Anyway it is too late to get a cosponsor before our interview in 1 week.

I wouldn't call getting a co-sponsor as simple as possible. $0 income I would think would be VERY bad news.

What are you living on? Do you have readily accessible cash? Are you living off of that, or do your assets generate cash income? If so, report the cash and the assets you are using to generate cash. You have enough, and you do NOT need a co-sponsor.

I answered the questions exactly like you did (although do have a job), and didn't under-report anything.

Hello All

I am also preparing Form I-134.

On the line 7 on the Form I-134, which income figures I should write from Form 1040, U.S Individual Income Tax Return ???

Line22 Total Income or Line37 Adjusted Gross Income ????

agm

I do understand that we have to show the official, called "usual" required items like bank statements & tax returns. Thanks.

Hello All

On the line 7 on the Form I-134, which income figures I should write from Form 1040, U.S Individual Income Tax Return ???

agm

Total income, this is the total amount paid to you before taxes.

Hello All

agm

Total income, this is the total amount paid to you before taxes.

Hello dnoblett

Thank you the information

agm