Words from Guangzhou

bosco

Thanks for the well-wishes everyone!

An added note on ACH......No one at the consulate seems to know what that is.....and the staffing until you talk to a VO is all Chinese with limited English. What finally got me in the correct place was merely asking to speak to a Visa Officer. I don't know if this is normal or just my lucky day but just in case, be prepared to be creative with your wording as you make your way up to the 5th floor and into the proper room.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An added note on ACH......No one at the consulate seems to know what that is.....and the staffing until you talk to a VO is all Chinese with limited English. What finally got me in the correct place was merely asking to speak to a Visa Officer. I don't know if this is normal or just my lucky day but just in case, be prepared to be creative with your wording as you make your way up to the 5th floor and into the proper room.

The American Citizen's area (Windows 31 through 40) is open to citizens with an American passport at any time. Did you go to a separate area, or just to one of these windows?

The American Citizen's area (Windows 31 through 40) is open to citizens with an American passport at any time. Did you go to a separate area, or just to one of these windows?

I had trouble finding my way in. At every point security tried to send me in the opposite direction. Finally inside, I was told to report to window 20 where a man gave me the "Immigrant Visa Comment" form and a number. Then I waited for three hours before they called my number to Window 27 where I talked to the VO for about 15 minutes.

I had no trouble getting up to the fifth floor but once there you can go right or left. I was sent each way twice seeking "American Citizen's Hour" before finally asking, "is there anyone here who speaks English?" Then a different guard came over and asked what I wanted. I told him I had questions I wished to ask a Visa Officer. Then I was finally admitted into the correct room.

BTW, when you enter the fifth floor, you want to go to the right. I have no idea what was behind the security on the left. Considering that the 5th floor is the portal through which all immigrants must pass to reach America, it is amazing to me how well hidden the Consulate is. There are almost no markings to identify its existence. If not for the photos someone else here posted of the outside, I would never have known it was there without asking around for help. Oh well, I guess it would be pretty silly to hope that paperwork would be the only way they would use to mess with our minds and try to intimidate us.

I had trouble finding my way in. At every point security tried to send me in the opposite direction. Finally inside, I was told to report to window 20 where a man gave me the "Immigrant Visa Comment" form and a number. Then I waited for three hours before they called my number to Window 27 where I talked to the VO for about 15 minutes.

I had no trouble getting up to the fifth floor but once there you can go right or left. I was sent each way twice seeking "American Citizen's Hour" before finally asking, "is there anyone here who speaks English?" Then a different guard came over and asked what I wanted. I told him I had questions I wished to ask a Visa Officer. Then I was finally admitted into the correct room.

BTW, when you enter the fifth floor, you want to go to the right. I have no idea what was behind the security on the left. Considering that the 5th floor is the portal through which all immigrants must pass to reach America, it is amazing to me how well hidden the Consulate is. There are almost no markings to identify its existence. If not for the photos someone else here posted of the outside, I would never have known it was there without asking around for help. Oh well, I guess it would be pretty silly to hope that paperwork would be the only way they would use to mess with our minds and try to intimidate us.

The left is where your SO will go (windows 1 through 30)

They have separate security gates for each side, but the hallway to the restrooms connects both sides.

Interesting. So one does not need to just go on Friday?

Wish you the best Ling & Curt. :)

Thanks!

You got me....since no one there seems to have ever heard of American Citizen's Hour and there were normal interviews going on the whole while I was there.....those of us USC's that were there just got fit in between the regular interviews. There was no evidence whatsoever of any special time set aside as ACH or any other name. But don't let this deter you from going. The VO specifically said it DOES help our cases to make the effort to be there and ask your own questions.

ok. 10am. Time to go do some more exploring and find something to eat. I'll keep y'all posted.

Curt, I'm wishing you Pink:

it is amazing to me how well hidden the Consulate is. There are almost no markings to identify its existence. If not for the photos someone else here posted of the outside, I would never have known it was there without asking around for help.

I, too, had the same problem. I must have walked by the consulate 3 or 4 times before someone told me where it was. It does get confusing going upstairs. I just sort of followed the crowd. Obviously they knew I was an American and pointed me in the right direction. I attended ACH which, in my case didn't help. That does not mean that it won't help like others have said. When I asked where to attend "American Citizen Hour" they did not know what I was talking about. So, Curt, I guess we experienced the same thing as far as that goes. Good luck in getting a pink slip. Ron

I, too, had a very positive experience going to ACH a week before Curt. The VO was very pleasant and took time to look over our P4 paperwork which she said "looked good". She also made sure that I knew that she entered a note in our record that I requested additional paperwork.

I highly recommend going to an ACH. If for no other reason, than peace of mind. You get to see that the VO's are real people who really do want to help.

ACH is held only on Friday,

There are 2 groups of windows, 1 group is for US Citizens with problems, like replacing lost passports ect. (31-40)

The other group of windows are for foreign immigrants. When attending ACH the US Citizen visits the windows that are for the foreign immigrants.

I visited the consulate Friday morning before ACH to find out when ACH will be held (2pm), There is no appointment needed for ACH, just be there slightly before 2pm.

Curt,

The street Jim Julian told you about also has a noodle shop, a great lunch for about 50 cents US. I also highly recommend the Citic Bank plaza. There is a fantastic Thai restaurant on the fourth floor, great fast food and a nice Japanese restaurant in the basement, the Citic bank of course and Bank of China also (they will cash travelers checks). If you are allergic to cigarette smoke (I am!!) be aware that all McDonalds are well air conditioned and non-smoking. They have guards that enforce this. They also have the McDonalds breakfast menu but it is not displayed you must ask for it. The bathrooms at McDonalds are squatters but very clean. The Citic Plaza has western toilets in spacious very clean restrooms.

Consider writing a personal letter to the VO for your SO to give to him/her with your passport. THe VO asked my wife only four questions. The third was 'is your boyfriend still here' (I went to ACH) and the fourth was 'can I see his passport'. She handed him my passport and 'two widows' letter which he stopped to read. Then he smiled at her and reached for a pink slip.

-James

Edited by jemmyell (see edit history)

Sorry to be a pain, but I understood that ACH for IV was on Friday's and NIV was on Monday's. Can someone please clarify. :unsure:

Wish you the best Ling & Curt. ;)

ACH is held only on Friday,

There are 2 groups of windows, 1 group is for US Citizens with problems, like replacing lost passports ect. (31-40)

The other group of windows are for foreign immigrants. When attending ACH the US Citizen visits the windows that are for the foreign immigrants.

I visited the consulate Friday morning before ACH to find out when ACH will be held (2pm), There is no appointment needed for ACH, just be there slightly before 2pm.