Any experiences with hotels near the Consulate?

The Victory Hotel has two locations, one near the Consulate, one just a few blocks farther away. The farther one is nicer and more expensive. We have stayed at both and both are ok, but the cheaper location is iffy in terms of the quality of the rooms. Prices vary, up to around 350 RMB. I think a much better choice is the Shamian Hotel. It is located near the White Swan Hotel, kind of across the street and down the block toward Lucy's Bar and Grill. You kind of have to look for it. There is a large sign over the entrance. The rooms are nice and can be had for around 250 RMB. Also, the location is great. We were able to get a discount the last two times we were there, once in February and once in March. Guangzhou Youth Hostel is also in the same general area. However, the rooms there don't compare with the Shamian Hotel and go for nearly the same price. In addition, I have found the staff there to be somewhat surly. Of course, if you want to lay out some major cash, there is always the White Swan.

We have stayed at the Victory Hotel a few times. The one a block an half from the US Consuate and it's fine and also away from the noise of the places down by the river, where all the outdoor cafe's are in the park. Now those cafe's are expensive.

Guest blsqueaky

Hello. I just got done looking at the site for the Vicory Garden, and noticed that they are having one large special right now. The normal Deluxe Suite was 850RMB, and now it is 460RMB, and the Superior suite dropped from 708 to 430. I know that this is where I am staying, but then again my fiance has a close friend that is the personal manager there so she gets me another small discount. :) ;)

For all the hype about how expensive Shanghai is, the tour leader that we had in Shanghai always managed to get very good rates on nice hotel rooms. Always took a lengthy negotiation at check in though. As soon as they saw a group of Americans they tried to insist that there had been a "mistake" and double or triple the price.

Guest blsqueaky

I remember that last time in Shanghai, stayed at the Bao Long. Nice place, about $40 U.S. a night, but a long taxi ride to downtown.

Now as far as the Victory, it is even listed in the Fodor's travel guide of China as one of the nicest places to stary on a tourist's budget.

When I choice the hotel and I just care that if it was clean and safe, and then that is ok for me. My fianc¨¦ always respect my choice. My fianc¨¦ and I have been living The Victory Hotel one time. it is ok for us. We were happy all the time. we really do not care where are living, just we get together and we are happy and laugh all the time. I do not like to heard that victory is garbage.

I also stayed at the Holiday Inn in downtown Shanghai near the railway station during my recent medical examination. I only paid around 450 RMB a night. And even though I am Chinese, I still had to really negotiate the rate with the person at the front desk.

I thought the hotel was quite nice (****, I believe) for China hotel. And the food at the hotel restaurants was also very good I thought.

:D