Tax Return and filing a joint return

hello again, I am sorry it took so long to get back, here is the link to IRS and Austin address, it says you can also send to philly, but doesn't give the philly address anymore. I think the philly address is used for exceptions, my interpretation! Mike

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=96287,00.html

Edited by mikepellicore (see edit history)

One final question, has any filed using "applied for", that looks to be the way to get the refund the fastest, and you will amend later, which you would need to do anyways if you don't file with the W-7 to get the ITIN? Mike

One place might take longer to get the refund, if you are also filing 1040. I have been on the phone with my accountant today, and he will be looking for answers from his end, also.

I just got off the phone with an IRS W-7 assistant, and he had to check to find that the Austin, TX is the new address for ITIN W-7 filing, he was surprised to see that the Philly address has not been changed yet! He said it will cause a delay for those who mail to Philly!

Mike

Edited by mikepellicore (see edit history)

One final question, has any filed using "applied for", that looks to be the way to get the refund the fastest, and you will amend later, which you would need to do anyways if you don't file with the W-7 to get the ITIN? Mike

One place might take longer to get the refund, if you are also filing 1040. I have been on the phone with my accountant today, and he will be looking for answers from his end, also.

I just got off the phone with an IRS W-7 assistant, and he had to check to find that the Austin, TX is the new address for ITIN W-7 filing, he was surprised to see that the Philly address has not been changed yet! He said it will cause a delay for those who mail to Philly!

Mike

Applied for is not a valid answer on the tax return, it might work in some of the softwares.

If you don't have a SSN on the form or send the return with a W-7 the standard policy is for the IRS to recalculate the return without the dependent.

Applied for is not a valid answer on the tax return, it might work in some of the softwares.

If you don't have a SSN on the form or send the return with a W-7 the standard policy is for the IRS to recalculate the return without the dependent.

Are you saying that if you don't "lie" and file singly that the IRS will do it for you? :roller: :roller:

Are you saying that if you don't "lie" and file singly that the IRS will do it for you? :D :D

While the IRS and USCIS don't communicate too well, if at all, if the tax returns submitted with the I-864 show a person filed single status after filing and I-130 for their spouse might raise a few questions.

Since the I-864 is a sworn statement that everything you provided as evidence is true, I can see a definite problem with a married person filing single status.

So if it comes down to it, file married-separate and get the W-7 stuff together when you can and then file married-jointly with a first year declaration and use the extra money to take a trip to China. :D

Are you saying that if you don't "lie" and file singly that the IRS will do it for you? <_< :roller:

While the IRS and USCIS don't communicate too well, if at all, if the tax returns submitted with the I-864 show a person filed single status after filing and I-130 for their spouse might raise a few questions.

Since the I-864 is a sworn statement that everything you provided as evidence is true, I can see a definite problem with a married person filing single status.

So if it comes down to it, file married-separate and get the W-7 stuff together when you can and then file married-jointly with a first year declaration and use the extra money to take a trip to China. B)

But you still need your wife's TIN or SSN when you file married-separately. You have until October 15 (with 2 extensions) to get the documentation together to apply for a TIN. Without it, like you're saying, you can't file married either.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Are you saying that if you don't "lie" and file singly that the IRS will do it for you? <_< :roller:

So if it comes down to it, file married-separate and get the W-7 stuff together when you can and then file married-jointly with a first year declaration and use the extra money to take a trip to China. B)

But you still need your wife's TIN or SSN when you file married-separately. You have until October 15 (with 2 extensions) to get the documentation together to apply for a TIN. Without it, like you're saying, you can't file married either.

Now doesn't that just suck!!!

This is brought to you by the government that invented Catch-22.

Sounds like a roadtrip to the nearest consulate for a photocopy and stamp.

Now doesn't that just suck!!!

This is brought to you by the government that invented Catch-22.

Sounds like a roadtrip to the nearest consulate for a photocopy and stamp.

nearest consulate for a photocopy and stamp????????

This sounds like a big pain in the a$$

What would one do if they do not have the time to run around spending the money there going to get back from there refund any how!!

Then there are some of us the want to have a updated tax return for when we go for our interview in the next few months.

So what would one do?? Go to the interview and not have our 2006 return with our SO name on it, Or go with the return still saying SINGLE????? YES, CATCH 22!!!!

If your SO can get to a consulate, and get a certified copy of her passport, she can send it via e-mail and you can print it to submit with the W-7. You can e-mail the signature page of the 1040, and the W-7, she can sign and e-mail them back, and she can sign an e-mail copy of your letter requesting that she be considered a resident for tax filing purposes and e-mail that back also. You might as well have her sign the State Income tax form if you have one in your state also.

If your SO can get to a consulate, and get a certified copy of her passport, she can send it via e-mail and you can print it to submit with the W-7. You can e-mail the signature page of the 1040, and the W-7, she can sign and e-mail them back, and she can sign an e-mail copy of your letter requesting that she be considered a resident for tax filing purposes and e-mail that back also. You might as well have her sign the State Income tax form if you have one in your state also.

Mike & Yizhen

Yes, I understand this, But as for my wife going to the consulate, That is not possible at this time, She lives in Chongqing, So to go to Guangzhou, It is about a two hour flight.

So you can see the problem I'm having, I'm not keen on the idea of her sending me her passport

through the mail system, I quest I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place???????

WHAT DO TO????????

If you plan on returning to China, before SO needs the Passport, have her send it to you! You can get a certified copy at your local IRS office, (I asked today!FREE!), to submit with the W-7

and safely return it to her yourself. I am more worried about the IRS loosing the passport!

good luck, Mike

Mike & Yizhen

Yes, I understand this, But as for my wife going to the consulate, That is not possible at this time, She lives in Chongqing, So to go to Guangzhou, It is about a two hour flight.

So you can see the problem I'm having, I'm not keen on the idea of her sending me her passport

through the mail system, I quest I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place???????

WHAT DO TO????????

This little "Catch 22" is why I filed single and then sent the W7 in with the amended return after she got here. Another Catch 22 could be getting a Chinese SO inside the US Consulate without an appointment letter, in order to request a service generally done for a USC.

I thought about attaching a little note to my 2005 transcript saying...

"Catch 22. Can't file as married without my wife's ITIN or SSN and can't get one until after she gets the visa and comes to the USA. Will file amended return with W7 later."

... but I decided not to bother. It wasn't a problem. I half expect the VO's know about this little Catch 22 and don't worry about it because they are concerned much more with the public charge issue than IRS details. Income is what they are verifying. The tax return as just a tool for that.

Don't lie to the USCIS but there's no penalty for overpayment of taxes.

If you plan on returning to China, before SO needs the Passport, have her send it to you! You can get a certified copy at your local IRS office, (I asked today!FREE!), to submit with the W-7

and safely return it to her yourself. I am more worried about the IRS loosing the passport!

good luck, Mike

Well here is another CATCH 22!! HA! Ha!

Was planing on going to Chongqing for spring festival but that idea got shot to hell.

As some might know of the Helth problems with my mother, So once again I'm stuck!!!

I must say this reallly SUCKS!!! WIND!!!

I figure the only choice i have is to get my wife send me her passport and take a chance it does not get lost on the wat to me.

As for returning it to her, That is not a problem, I WILL!!!!! be there for her INTERVIEW!!

Mike & Yizhen

WHAT DO TO????????

This little "Catch 22" is why I filed single and then sent the W7 in with the amended return after she got here. Another Catch 22 could be getting a Chinese SO inside the US Consulate without an appointment letter, in order to request a service generally done for a USC.

"Catch 22. Can't file as married without my wife's ITIN or SSN and can't get one until after she gets the visa and comes to the USA. Will file amended return with W7 later."

... but I decided not to bother. It wasn't a problem. I half expect the VO's know about this little Catch 22 and don't worry about it because they are concerned much more with the public charge issue than IRS details. Income is what they are verifying. The tax return as just a tool for that.

Duke: Thanks for the help!!

As for the piblic charge, That is not a problem, I'm well above the 125%

I just want everthing to look good for the interview.

All this stuff with the visa process and now TAX time makes one head hurt

and makes the STRESS even more!!!

Like in my last post, I can take the chance and get my wifes passport sent to me!

I figure i have a 50%/50% chance of getting it or lossing it in the mail system.

But i always get the wrong 50% Thats what I'm woriied about!!!!!!!

Plus The extra money from the return would be nice right about now!!!

Trust me: I have run the numbers many times in the pass few days and filing married-jointly

is the way to go!!

Edited by NUWORLD (see edit history)

Duke: Thanks for the help!!

As for the piblic charge, That is not a problem, I'm well above the 125%

I just want everthing to look good for the interview.

All this stuff with the visa process and now TAX time makes one head hurt

and makes the STRESS even more!!!

Like in my last post, I can take the chance and get my wifes passport sent to me!

I figure i have a 50%/50% chance of getting it or lossing it in the mail system.

But i always get the wrong 50% Thats what I'm woriied about!!!!!!!

Plus The extra money from the return would be nice right about now!!!

Trust me: I have run the numbers many times in the pass few days and filing married-jointly

is the way to go!!

Don't forget you can do what Duke did - file singly now, and then when your wife gets here file an amended return, married, with the W-7. You'll get a refund of the difference at that time.