Hi everyone,

Got a question concerning the police record of SO living and working in a different country. My wife was hired for contract work in Japan and the first stint was for 6 months and the second for 3 (Her mother was sick, so she came back early.) Does she need to obtain a police record from Japan, and if so, how would she go about getting it? Thanks.

The state department site makes no indication of minimum length of time in other places, but I have read in many places any where from 2-6 months is the minimum time in a place to require a certificate.

About Japanese certificate it can take up to 2-3 months to get one.

POLICE CERTIFICATE

Available. Japanese police certificates will not contain information about criminal convictions when:

1. The period of suspended sentence has ended;

2. The penalty of the crime was a fine, and the crime occurred more than five years ago;

3. The term of the prison sentence ended more than ten years ago; or

4. The conviction was vacated or the criminal was subject to a pardon or amnesty.

Persons convicted of crimes in Japan may obtain court conviction records indefinitely. The headquarters' records section of the Metropolitan or Prefectural police issues certificates which include a nationwide criminal records check.

Applicants Physically Present in Japan: Foreign nationals holding legal resident status and Japanese citizens must apply in person at the Metropolitan or Prefectural police headquarters having jurisdiction over their present place of residence in Japan. Processing time: approximately 3 weeks.

Applicants Outside of Japan: Former legal residents, former illegal aliens, and Japanese citizens, should apply at the nearest Japanese Consulate. Processing time: Two to three months.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/reciprocity/C...der/J/Japan.htm

It is best to error on the safe side and get that certificate, why risk a blue slip?

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

I glanced over the OF169 sample on CFL, and it states under police certificates, that the applicant must provide certificates of all other countries resided in for at least one year. She was in Japan for a total of nine months.

I glanced over the OF169 sample on CFL, and it states under police certificates, that the applicant must provide certificates of all other countries resided in for at least one year. She was in Japan for a total of nine months.

Yes that looks like the case, I have a copy of that form and also checked the Guangzhou Consulate site and that is what they indicate. So you should be OK there.

http://guangzhou.usconsulate.gov/iv_faq.html