No Veggie leftover

My Chinese wife is very picky about fresh food. She thinks cook veggies which are not eaten should be thrown away. She doesn't believe in refrigerating the veggies and eaten the next day. She and I got in a few arguments about this because she thinks the old veggies will cause her to be sick (even cancer). I told her that many people go hungry in the world and she shouldn't waste food.

Does your Chinese SO like that?

Edited by tonado (see edit history)

Exactly like that. My wife does not save leftover food. If there are leftovers, they get tossed and next time she cooks less. We have talked about this to no avail. But, she will eat our friend's 'leftover' chili beans because they are friends and the meal is cooked then left over nite to do whatever it does to taste better.

My wife is not so concerned about spoilage as she is flavor freshness. If it hasn't just been cookd she doesn't like it. Take in to account that she owned and cooked in a small restaurant near the local school offering at least 18 different fresh cooked things and many meals cooked to order each meal time.

My Chinese wife is very picky about fresh food. She thinks cook veggies which are not eaten should be thrown away. She doesn't believe in refrigerating the veggies and eaten the next day. She and I got in a few arguments about this because she thinks the old veggies will cause her to be sick (even cancer). I told her that many people go hungry in the world and she shouldn't waste food.

Does your Chinese SO like that?

Yes my wife is very similar she doesn¡¯t like to refrigerate cooked vegetables and eat them the next day, she now will make smaller portions that we can eat and enjoy them fresh.

my girl has no problems about re-heating veggies....

she did however mention the cancer thing the other day that i had heard before, i barbq'd some chicken and some skin got burnt...

i told her i loved that burnt flavor...

she mentioned that it was not good to eat that part and that it caused cancer :yahoo:

She did at first.

But after she spent time with her aunt here in

SF, she came home with a bunch of storage

containers.

It's like that with many things.

I suggest something and she says no.

Once it gets cleared by her aunt or cousins

its OK.

And yes; she tells me that BBQ will give me cancer.

I've been able to get around this somewhat by sealing

things in foil and/or using a water pan for slow cooking/smoke.

Repeated cooking and heating of vegetables (especially leafy vegetables) destroy all essential vitamins and nutrients. It's like you are eating food without any nutritional value. Chinese people like a great variety of fresh vegetables, which are hard to find here in the States.

I've heard of smoked food can be carcinogen, not grilled food.

Repeated cooking and heating of vegetables (especially leafy vegetables) destroy all essential vitamins and nutrients. It's like you are eating food without any nutritional value. Chinese people like a great variety of fresh vegetables, which are hard to find here in the States.

I agree. However, I was trying to find some hard facts. There are lots of such information in Chinese, but when I did a search on google for nutrition and vegetable, most I got are tips for fixing leftover vegetables to make a delicious and nutritious meal. :ph34r:

Here is one website talking about how to properly feed Guinea pigs.

http://www.aracnet.com/~seagull/Guineas/feeding.html

It mentioned that Vitamin C will break down quickly in water.

I agree. However, I was trying to find some hard facts. There are lots of such information in Chinese, but when I did a search on google for nutrition and vegetable, most I got are tips for fixing leftover vegetables to make a delicious and nutritious meal. :guitar:

Here is one website talking about how to properly feed Guinea pigs.

http://www.aracnet.com/~seagull/Guineas/feeding.html

It mentioned that Vitamin C will break down quickly in water.

Another source:

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/b...on?OpenDocument

Simply cooking or combining a food with other foodstuffs to create a recipe is also considered a form of food processing. Whatever the case, the nutrient value of any food is often altered by the processing.

My wife eats leftovers to the point of getting sick sometimes. She has stuff in the frig but also it sits out several nights till all eaten on a shelf in the kitchen. I was so surprised at what they let sit unrefrigerated. Of course she came from up North. I am sure the natural cold was there.

I know she loved having in-laws live with her for years and do most of the cooking. She has commented on my Mother who moved in with me and hopes to learn a lot from her. So I figure she will do what my Mom does, which is to throw anyt leftover away after 3 days.

My Moms favorite way is to cook enough for 2 eats. She cooks enough for two nights and we eat, then we eat left overs from 2 days ago, then new again, then leftovers of the previous cook. This way we don't eat the same meal twice in a row and she only cooks every other day. So all left overs are ate once 2 days later. Then trash it goes, if any. I lost 50lbs this way.

I cant wait for wife to show up and we cook all those vegies.

When one is hungry, eating leftover is better than not eating. My cousin said he used to eat salt in China because there was no food (60's).