Hawaiian Honeymoon

Once I get my visa, my husband wants us to honeymoon in Hawaii for a week or so before continuing on to the mainland. But because there are no nonstop flights from Shanghai to Honolulu, we first must fly to Osaka or Tokyo and then continue on to Honolulu.

Can we do this? Or must we take one of the nonstops directly from Shanghai to America (such as to San Francisco, Los Angeles or Chicago) and then backtrack to Honolulu?

So I guess I have two questions: (1) Must we fly nonstop to America? (2) Can we enter the United States thru the Honolulu POE?

As always, I want to thank all of you for your invaluable help. I am so grateful to all of you.

:angel:

You do not have to fly direct. A stopover in Japan is ok since they have a special waiting area for international passengers. As long as you don't leave that area, you don't need a visa.

I am real sure that Honolulu is a POE. If international flights arrive there, then there has to be facilities for handling entry for foreign nationals. Somebody needs to confirm that though.

http://www.k1poelist.com/

Not a complete list as I have seen government documents refer to there being over 300 POEs.

You do not have to fly direct.  A stopover in Japan is ok since they have a special waiting area for international passengers.  As long as you don't leave that area, you don't need a visa.

I am real sure that Honolulu is a POE.  If international flights arrive there, then there has to be facilities for handling entry for foreign nationals.  Somebody needs to confirm that though.

http://www.k1poelist.com/

Not a complete list as I have seen government documents refer to there being over 300 POEs.

Of course Honolulu is a POE...and an international gateway with immmigration and all

No problem arriving at any international U.S. airport. The only exception is when a visa states SPECIFICALLY that the visa holder must enter a designated POE. I've never seen a visa like that coming out of China, so it's pretty much a moot point.

Aloha from Beijing,

Yes, you do not have to go to the US Mainland before going to Honolulu.

The best way is through Japan and on to Honolulu. You do not need a

visa to transit through Japan. Have your baggage checked through to

Honolulu. Then you just wait in the secured area of the airport. The

shops there take Yen or US Dollars.

There are separate lines at immigration for US citizens and foreign

nationals. All you have to do is wait for the other person on the other

side of the booths.

I will be back in Honolulu on April 8. Let me know when you will be there.

Perhaps I can be of some help to you and your main squeeze.

Myles