notarized certificate of the last marriage

Dear CFL members, I am from the Chinese forum 001. Lately many of our members are concerned about 2 questions regarding notarized certificate of the last marriage.

1. Some girls who have got P4 lately found it's pretty confusing that they are required as per the Chinese instruction in P4, to prepare and submit the notarized marriage certificate of their last marriage, instead of the notarial divorce certificate of the past marriage. And a girl was told by the notary office that it was unobtainable because the office can't notarize a marital status that is not exsiting due to the divorce.

So we wonder: is it because the inaccurate Chinese translation/ expression in P4 or is it the new regulation/requirement? They may really mean the notarized DIVORCE certificate instead of MARRIAGE certificate of the last marriage in Chinese. (I was thinking about posting this topic in GUZ Speaks but just to see if any luck here...)

2. Should the visa beneficiary take the notarial divorce certificate of the American citizen/petitioner with her at the interview? Some 001 girl is told by the American petitioner that he doesn't know where and how to get the divorce certificate notarized since the divorce certificate itself should be ok for the interview if needed.

Does any CFL member have similar experience? Did you get your marriage divorce certificate notarized for your girl's interview?

Thank you for your kind help in advance.

Edited by sweetpea (see edit history)
Dear CFL members, I am from the Chinese forum 001. Lately many of our members are concerned about 2 questions regarding notarized certificate of the last marriage.

1. Some girls who have got P4 lately found it's pretty confusing that they are required as per the Chinese instruction in P4, to prepare and submit the notarized marriage certificate of their last marriage, instead of the notarial divorce certificate of the past marriage. And a girl was told by the notary office that it was unobtainable because the office can't notarize a marital status that is not exsiting due to the divorce.

So we wonder: is it because the inaccurate Chinese translation/ expression in P4 or is it the new regulation/requirement? They may really mean the notarized DIVORCE certificate instead of MARRIAGE certificate of the last marriage in Chinese. (I was thinking about posting this topic in GUZ Speaks but just to see if any luck here...)

2. Should the visa beneficiary take the notarial divorce certificate of the American citizen/petitioner with her at the interview? Some 001 girl is told by the American petitioner that he doesn't know where and how to get the divorce certificate notarized since the divorce certificate itself should be ok for the interview if needed.

Does any CFL member have similar experience? Did you get your marriage divorce certificate notarized for your girl's interview?

220178[/snapback]

1. We used the notarized divorce certificate only for my wife without any issue. It helps to support the single certification showing she is able to marry.

1a. Now if you have a child as a k-2 or K-4 you should either have the notarized divorce decree showing custody of the child or a notarized statement from the EX giving permission to go to the US with the beneficiary.

2. As for the USC divorce papers, you should have them at the interview,they should be in the case file with the I-129F but often a copy was submitted, this should be an original to prove the copy is valid.

Also, it does help with the relationship issue demonstrating the the Chinese SO is fully aware of the past. These do not need to be notarized in the same way a Chinese document, they will be stamped or have a seal from a US court. Since it is already in English there is no need for a translation.

Hope this helps.

See Franks links below.

Edited by LeeFisher3 (see edit history)

The issue of a notarized prior marriage certificate has come up before.

Take a look at http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...topic=17867&hl=

Also the consulate has addressed the issue: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17903

Personally, I think that the current notarized divorce certificate satisfies the requirement, and that's what Jingwen gave the consulate. Her certificate referenced the prior marriage, noted the date of the divorce, and also stated that she had not registered another marriage since.

220178[/snapback]

as per the Chinese instruction in P4, to prepare and submit the notarized marriage certificate of their last marriage,

If your filing a CR1 or K3 for a spouse: Maybe they are asking if you to have a certified copy of your current marriage cert. In reality this would have been your last marriage.

Guest pushbrk

220178[/snapback]

The way I read it is that for a K1, only divorce and/or single certification documents are needed.

When the Chinese beneficiary is interviewing for K3 or CR1, the Notarial Marriage Certificate is the one for their Marriage to the Petitioner.

For any Fiance or Marriage based visa, the Petitioner's divorce decree is already in English. It should be a "certified copy" showing an official Seal of a State Government. No Notarizing in China is required and would serve no purpose.

I dug out the "Panel Physician Checklist" that was used for my wife and here are the required items for the sealed envelope:

K1 & K2

DS-156 & DS-157

Application Fee Receipt

Certification of Intent to Marry(K1 Only)

DS-156K

Supplimental Forms GNI-2

Birth Certificate

Divorce Certificate(if needed)

Unmarried Certificate(K1 Only)

Police Certificate(over 16)

Family Composition Sheet GIV-24(over 16)

Medical Report

K3 & V

DS-156 & DS-157

Application Fee Receipt

Birth Certificate

Marriage Certificate

Police Certificate(over 16)

Family Composition Sheet GIV-24(over 16)

Medical Report

I will try to scan this document and get it posted, but this should clear up the question of a K1 needing a marriage certificate.