SSN experience

We just came back from SS Office to apply for the SSN, and were told that it would take 6 weeks to be issued after the documents check with immigration. From our understanding, the advertised 2 weeks is for US nationals only...

The SSA memo EM-00154 of 11/00 says that you can now apply for a SSN without EAD ( which we did ), but of course you still need an EAD to actually work.

Sooo more waiting here, but since together with my honey, I don't care :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

oops.. sorry. I guess this topic can be moved to the immigr challenge forum..

thanks

add on to the above post from Yuhui

...from the SSA website

"If you’re a noncitizen, we must verify your documents with the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) before we issue a SSN card. We will issue the card within two days of receiving verification from INS. Most of the time, we can quickly verify your documents online with INS. If INS can’t verify your documents online, it may take several weeks or months to respond to Social Security's request"

We just came back from SS Office to apply for the SSN, and were told that it would take 6 weeks to be issued after the documents check with immigration. From our understanding, the advertised 2 weeks is for US nationals only...

The SSA memo EM-00154 of 11/00 says that you can now apply for a SSN without EAD ( which we did ), but of course you still need an EAD to actually work.

Sooo more waiting here, but since together with my honey, I don't care :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Thank You,I will soon be going that route myself.