Quick question on finance

Before I begin let me say how impressed I with this site and with all of it's members, the willingness to help others and answer questions is inspiring.

My wife and I have recieved our interview for her spouse visa to come to the US. Everything so far has gone very smoothly and if we pass, we'll have gone from start to finish in just over 6 months. (much faster than expected)

Here's the catch, we have a sponsor from the US for our financial support. If we have a sponsor do I as my wife's spouse still need to file an I-864 or are we covered with the one sponsor???

Another catch, Over the past 3 years I have been either enrolled as a full time student or living abroad because of this I haven't filled taxes for these years. Does anyone know how this will effect things? Also does is anyone clear on exactly what I can provide that might help?

Thanks so much for any feedback.

Jason

Guest pushbrk
Before I begin let me say how impressed I with this site and with all of it's members, the willingness to help others and answer questions is inspiring.

My wife and I have recieved our interview for her spouse visa to come to the US. Everything so far has gone very smoothly and if we pass, we'll have gone from start to finish in just over 6 months. (much faster than expected)

Here's the catch, we have a sponsor from the US for our financial support. If we have a sponsor do I as my wife's spouse still need to file an I-864 or are we covered with the one sponsor???

Another catch, Over the past 3 years I have been either enrolled as a full time student or living abroad because of this I haven't filled taxes for these years. Does anyone know how this will effect things? Also does is anyone clear on exactly what I can provide that might help?

Thanks so much for any feedback.

Jason

215616[/snapback]

Yes, you'll need to file the I-864 for yourself in addition to the one from the co-sponsor. Write a letter explaining why you haven't filed taxes. Your reasons are legitimate and will be understood as such if clearly and directly stated.

I assume that you two are DCF.  You'll need a co-sponser if you income does not meet 125% of the poverty level.  People in this situation typically are able to get their parents to help them out with this.

215617[/snapback]

YuanYang thanks for the reply.

"we have a sponsor from the US for our financial support. If we have a sponsor do I as my wife's spouse still need to file an I-864 or are we covered with the one sponsor???"

We already have a sponsor that meets the 125% requirement, the question is do I still need to file an I-864 and will it be a problem that I haven't filed taxes for the past 3 years?

I assume that you two are DCF.  You'll need a co-sponser if you income does not meet 125% of the poverty level.  People in this situation typically are able to get their parents to help them out with this.

215617[/snapback]

YuanYang thanks for the reply.

"we have a sponsor from the US for our financial support. If we have a sponsor do I as my wife's spouse still need to file an I-864 or are we covered with the one sponsor???"

We already have a sponsor that meets the 125% requirement, the question is do I still need to file an I-864 and will it be a problem that I haven't filed taxes for the past 3 years?

215619[/snapback]

It's important to make clear that YOU are the sponsor. Both, you and the co-sponsor will need to fill out the I-864 "Affidavit of Support" form. If you look at the form under "Part 2" you will see which box applies for you and the joint or co-sponsor. Yes, you will need to file I-864.

Because you haven't filed taxes, you will need a written an explanation and evidence. I'm not 100% on this particular subject, so I'll pose a few questions here and maybe some can help out.

1. Does the written explanation require to be notarized?

2. Should the explanation be attached to the I-864?

I hope some of this info helps out.

Edited by change2marrow (see edit history)