Notarial and/or Notarized Copies of Certificates?

I need some clarity on these please:

Scheduled for K1 interview next week.

For K1 visa interview, am I supposed to notarize photocopies of my original notarial birth certicifate, notarial divorce certificate and notarial police certificate?

Or is an ordinary photocopy enough?

Thanks!

Edited by Santop (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew
I need some clarity on these please:

Scheduled for K1 interview next week.

For K1 visa interview, am I supposed to notarize photocopies of my original  notarial birth certicifate, notarial divorce certificate and  notarial police certificate?

Or is an ordinary photocopy enough?

Thanks!

214348[/snapback]

All Chinese notarial birth certificates need to be translated to English. There are many services throughout the country that specialize in doing so. Copies of these certificates are NOT acceptable. For the interview, you must present only original documents bearing official notarial seals and embossing.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

All Chinese norarial birth certificates need to be translated to English. There are many services throughout the country that specialize in doing so. Copies of these certificates are NOT acceptable. For the interview, you must present only original documents bearing official notarial seals and embossing.

214360[/snapback]

I'm not Chinese but will be interviewed for my K1 Visa is Guangzhou. All my documents are in English. Do I need to notarize the photocopies to be submited. I will take all my originals along with me.

Guest ShaQuaNew

If in English you're fine. But, again, copies of birth and divorce certificates are not acceptable. You MUST present only the original certified copy of these certificates. These originals will be either stamped with a seal, embossed, or both, depending upon the state issued.

If you don't have the originals of these documents, I suggest you get busy and start working getting them now.

If you don't have the originals of these documents, I suggest you get busy and start working getting them now.

214369[/snapback]

I have all the originals (in English). I thought I needed to make photocopies of the originals and notarize them for submission at the embassy since I CAN'T submit my originals. Really got confused!

We used copies of the original notatorial documents and took the originals to interview.  They were never asked for.

214370[/snapback]

Please can you explain further. I don't seem to get you. Do you mean photoccopies of the originals? What was never asked for, originals or photocopies?

Guest ShaQuaNew
I have all the originals (in English). I thought I needed to make photocopies of the originals and notarize them for submission at the embassy since I CAN'T submit my originals. Really got confused!

214372[/snapback]

Photocopies of original documents are acceptable when you first submitted your petition to the USCIS. The USCIS in fact recommends that you NOT send originals. But, as you stated, you are to have your interview next week. While many state that they have not been asked to present original copies of notarial documents at the interview, the VO is well within rights to request. The interview is the place that you are required to present ALL ORIGINAL documents.

Again, you may not be asked to present, but if you're asked to do so, and you're unable to, there is a strong possibility that adjudication will be delayed until the document is presented. The long and short of it is that it's not worth taking the chance to not have it on hand, but that's your decision.

214372[/snapback]

Photocopies of original documents are acceptable when you first submitted your petition to the USCIS. The USCIS in fact recommends that you NOT send originals. But, as you stated, you are to have your interview next week. While many state that they have not been asked to present original copies of notarial documents at the interview, the VO is well within rights to request. The interview is the place that you are required to present ALL ORIGINAL documents.

Again, you may not be asked to present, but if you're asked to do so, and you're unable to, there is a strong possibility that adjudication will be delayed until the document is presented. The long and short of it is that it's not worth taking the chance to not have it on hand, but that's your decision.

214377[/snapback]

Thanks. You don't seem to understand me. I guess I didn't explain myself well enough. I have all my originals in English which I will take to the embassy. Incase they need me to sumbit photocopies of the original documents, are they supposed to be notorized?

Put differently, do I need to take with me the originals and notarized photocopies of originals or ordinary photocopies.

214372[/snapback]

214377[/snapback]

Thanks. You don't seem to understand me. I guess I didn't explain myself well enough. I have all my originals in English which I will take to the embassy. Incase they need me to sumbit photocopies of the original documents, are they supposed to be notorized?

Put differently, do I need to take with me the originals and notarized photocopies of originals or ordinary photocopies.

214384[/snapback]

As ShaQuaNew said, they are within their rights to ask for it [in any way possible]... If it were me, I'd bring a notarized copy as well as the originals, so you don't have to lose an original if you don't have to.. cover your bases and bring both.

Guest ShaQuaNew

214384[/snapback]

It appears that nomenclature is a problem here. Let me clarify:

ORIGINAL--This is a first generation of a document. An example being a document printed by a state liscensed archivist, as in US birth, death, or divorce certificate. These facilities are normally affiliated with the state bureau of vital statistics. When creating these "original" copies, these facilities will certify / notarize the document with a color seal and / or embossing.

COPY--If I use a copy machine to make a copy of an "original" it becomes a copy. Actually, anytime a copy machine is used to make a copy of an official document is a copy, regardless whether it's notarized or not.

Certificates may not be copied for the interview. Other documents, like the I-134 may.