Indistinguishable

Most Chinese don't distinguish between the two.

They can handle "pizza", but the common reaction to spaghetti is identical to what most Americans would think if you squeezed a bottle of Del Monte all over a plate of noodles: you could force yourself to eat it, but you wouldn't necessarily enjoy it...

Discuss.

Guest pushbrk

They can handle "pizza", but the common reaction to spaghetti is identical to what most Americans would think if you squeezed a bottle of Del Monte all over a plate of noodles:  you could force yourself to eat it, but you wouldn't necessarily enjoy it...

Discuss.

212337[/snapback]

I had some decent spaghetti in Nanning but it was a little ketchupy.

Thoroughly frustrated, I brought several cans of tomato paste and stewed tomatoes to (attempt) to make some spaghetti.

First joke was opening the cans with a meat clever...no, they do not have canned foods; therefore no need for a can opener!

The family ate the meal; but I could tell that they were not clamoring for my recipe nor wanting me to ship over or bring with me any more tomato paste.

In Guilin, my SO had spaghetti for breakfast! Closest thing to noodles.

OK OK - just get used to enjoing those Guilin flower noodles.

yes, I do miss them....and her...

Phil

My wife distinguishes this way:

Ketchup... somewhat likes, only with her favorite USA food (french fries)

Spaghetti sauce: No like

She cooks me noodles almost everyday in many different ways. I think it was almost an insult when I made her spaghetti with Italian Sausage. Haven't had it since.

She really likes pizza and that's a marinara sauce. I think it's just the noodle thing and she does not like pasta noodles. It has to be rice noodles.

Yeah, the red sauce seems to be okay with them on pizza, but only on pizza.

There are exceptions, of course.

Leiqin is a true spice queen. Her use of Chinese spices (I especially love her use of ginger and garlic) are truly remarkable. She's even learned to cook many American dishes as well. One afternoon, while she was cooking beef stew, I noticed she pulled the bottle of ketchup and began squeezing it into the pan. To her, it was just tomato sauce. I later introduced her to true tomato sauce and paste and she's been very appreciative. However, I still loved her beef and ketchup stew! :smartass:

(God, I love writing about her.... :whistling: )

Edited by Dennis143 (see edit history)
I noticed she pulled the bottle of ketchup and began squeezing it into the pan. To her, it was just tomato sauce.

That was the point I was trying to make!!! Thanks! :whistling:

They can handle "pizza", but the common reaction to spaghetti is identical to what most Americans would think if you squeezed a bottle of Del Monte all over a plate of noodles:  you could force yourself to eat it, but you wouldn't necessarily enjoy it...

Discuss.

212337[/snapback]

Ketchup vs. Spaghetti sauce. My wife uses ketchup when she cooks a pork chop dish. She uses ketchup, tomatoes and onions together, it is very tasty.

Well, my Chinese lady knows the difference and loves both. She will put ketchup on fries, hot dogs, etc. and has even used it in some dishes she made. Spagetti, she first called American noodles but now asks for it by name. Every time I have made it, she happily cleans her plate. :roller: