do I need to wait 5 years?

Guest ShaQuaNew
Hi,

My soon to be chinese wife read on another forum that because I received my US citizenship through marriage (I am french, ex wife american) I must wait 5 years after I obtain us citizenship to apply for a K1 visa for my chinese fiance.

Any one?

212097[/snapback]

Both the US citizen and LPR have the same rights when it comes to immigration. But, I'm not able to determine from your post whether you're now a US citizen, or hope to become one soon

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)
Hi,

My soon to be chinese wife read on another forum that because I received my US citizenship through marriage (I am french, ex wife american) I must wait 5 years after I obtain us citizenship to apply for a K1 visa for my chinese fiance.

Any one?

212097[/snapback]

Both the US citizen and LPR have the same rights when it comes to immigration. But, I'm not able to determine from your post whether you're now a US citizen, or hope to become one soon

212100[/snapback]

what is a LPR?

I have been a US Citizen for 1 year now

Guest ShaQuaNew
Hi,

Any one?

212097[/snapback]

212100[/snapback]

what is a LPR?

212102[/snapback]

LPR = Legal Permanent Resident, or green card holder.

You know Jean, as I'm looking at this, it may well be that one must be a US citizen to apply for a K1. In your case, if you are a USC it won't matter. As a USC you're entitled to all the benefits of the US constitution.....

Hi,

Any one?

212097[/snapback]

212100[/snapback]

what is a LPR?

212102[/snapback]

LPR = Legal Permanent Resident, or green card holder.

You know Jean, as I'm looking at this, it may well be that one must be a US citizen to apply for a K1. In your case, if you are a USC it won't matter. As a USC you're entitled to all the benefits of the US constitution.....

212103[/snapback]

I think you must be a USC yes but I am so yes that's what I thought, no relation, this 5 year thing is a BS

Guest ShaQuaNew

I think you must be a USC yes but I am so yes that's what I thought, no relation, this 5 year thing is a BS

212104[/snapback]

Yes.

Hi,

Any one?

212097[/snapback]

Since you are an US citizen, you can start K1 visa right now. However, if you get married in China, then you will file for K3/CR-1 visa. K1 is only for fiancee visa.