Getting mariage certificate translated

Hi,

I am getting married in China and will have to get the wedding certificate translated to be able to send in with I-130 can anyone help with how and where they got theirs done and how long it took? My SO thinks it needs to be done in her home town, is that correct?

Thanks,

Rick & Liyan

Guest pushbrk
Hi,

I am getting married in China and will have to get the wedding certificate translated to be able to send in with I-130 can anyone help with how and where they got theirs done and how long it took? My SO thinks it needs to be done in her home town, is that correct?

Thanks,

Rick & Liyan

210709[/snapback]

It will be done at a government Notarial office. If there is one in her home town that's good. In my experience it was done in a matter of an hour or so.

Some other translations took longer or required a significant additional fee to expedite.

Hi,

Thanks,

Rick & Liyan

210709[/snapback]

Yes, that should be where your SO is registered and where her records are located.

After we were married in Shenzhen, we went to a certified notary and translation service and got notarized, translated documents for the marriage certificate, her divorce papers, and her police report. (I have since read on CFL, that it is too early for the police report, because it expires after 6 months, and she won't need it until the interview, which in our case will be at least 9 months in the future)

My wife knew in advance, by asking locally, where the notary-translation service was located. In our case, it took 2 or 3 days.............one trip to get it started, then another to pick up the documents. I don't know if they could have done it while we waited or not.

Edited by hankster (see edit history)
Hi,

Thanks,

Rick & Liyan

210709[/snapback]

PS ........I just noticed from your profile that your SO is from Shenzhen, also. If you want I'll get the address from my wife and let you know.

Hank

Edited by hankster (see edit history)
Hi,

Thanks,

Rick & Liyan

210709[/snapback]

It will be done at a government Notarial office. If there is one in her home town that's good. In my experience it was done in a matter of an hour or so.

Some other translations took longer or required a significant additional fee to expedite.

210717[/snapback]

Carefully review the English in the documents, the Offical Translators put "divorce" on ours instead of "marriage". :)

In my case, my marriage took place in Shenyang, and the civil authority there had an english translation included as a matter of course, along with a notarized form stating it was true to the original. You might ask about that at the office you do your paperwork at, it sure made things easy!

Hi,

Thanks,

Rick & Liyan

210709[/snapback]

PS ........I just noticed from your profile that your SO is from Shenzhen, also. If you want I'll get the address from my wife and let you know.

Hank

210723[/snapback]

Hi Hank,

My SO lives in Shenzhen but we have to go to her home town to get married. We have to go to Hohhot to get the wedding book.

Thanks,

Rick

Hi,

Thanks,

Rick & Liyan

210709[/snapback]

Hank

210723[/snapback]

Hi Hank,

My SO lives in Shenzhen but we have to go to her home town to get married. We have to go to Hohhot to get the wedding book.

Thanks,

Rick

210984[/snapback]

Again thanks everyone I will have my SO check with her hometown then and see if they include or can do the translation for us.

Thanks,

Rick

Guest pushbrk
Hi,

Thanks,

Rick & Liyan

210709[/snapback]

Hank

210723[/snapback]

Hi Hank,

Thanks,

Rick

210984[/snapback]

Again thanks everyone I will have my SO check with her hometown then and see if they include or can do the translation for us.

Thanks,

Rick

210985[/snapback]

The people in the local office that will certify a marriage to foreigner can give your SO all the information she needs about where to get a notarial translation of the red book.