chinese marriage visa

Guest pushbrk

Either way, the visa stipulations are a significant change from the thing we are most used to, and spouses who have obtained a CR-1 visa and filed an Affadivit of Support become finiancially obligated to their spouse basically forever (if they stay in the US).  Even divorce will not end that obligation, theoretically.

209653[/snapback]

Hi, I do not believe this point is correct. I remember specifically reading that once your spouse becomes a US citizen that you are no longer responsible for that spouses financial support. Even if there's no divorce, she can get public benefits if you two are poor enough. No where does it say you're liable for her finances forever. When she becomes a US citizens, she's entitled to the full responsiblities and glories of being a US citizens and that includes welfare benefits.

209944[/snapback]

You are correct. Once your spouse becomes a US Citizen (Naturalizes) your legal obligation under the I-864 is terminated.

209992[/snapback]

Is it necessary to sign an affidavit of support if you apply for the fiance visa?

If a couple breaks up before visa approval, is the AOS still binding?

210364[/snapback]

If the couple breaks up before visa approval the beneficiary never comes to the US. The affidavits of support are for people IN the US.

Either way, the visa stipulations are a significant change from the thing we are most used to, and spouses who have obtained a CR-1 visa and filed an Affadivit of Support become finiancially obligated to their spouse basically forever (if they stay in the US).  Even divorce will not end that obligation, theoretically.

209653[/snapback]

Hi, I do not believe this point is correct. I remember specifically reading that once your spouse becomes a US citizen that you are no longer responsible for that spouses financial support. Even if there's no divorce, she can get public benefits if you two are poor enough. No where does it say you're liable for her finances forever. When she becomes a US citizens, she's entitled to the full responsiblities and glories of being a US citizens and that includes welfare benefits.

209944[/snapback]

You are correct. Once your spouse becomes a US Citizen (Naturalizes) your legal obligation under the I-864 is terminated.

209992[/snapback]

Is it necessary to sign an affidavit of support if you apply for the fiance visa?

210364[/snapback]

If the couple breaks up before visa approval the beneficiary never comes to the US. The affidavits of support are for people IN the US.

210371[/snapback]

thank you pushbrk, you have been very helpful. I have another question. How long does or can it take for someone from China to obtain a visitor's visa to the US, and can that be applied for while the process for procuring a marriage visa is being undertaken. I hope I am clear enough here. I do not know the termsA, and I am not sure about the difference between these two visas.

All I know is that I would like to find a means of getting my girlfriend here sooner, rather than later.

Thanks again.

Guest pushbrk

Either way, the visa stipulations are a significant change from the thing we are most used to, and spouses who have obtained a CR-1 visa and filed an Affadivit of Support become finiancially obligated to their spouse basically forever (if they stay in the US).?Even divorce will not end that obligation, theoretically.

209653[/snapback]

209944[/snapback]

209992[/snapback]

210364[/snapback]

210371[/snapback]

thank you pushbrk, you have been very helpful. I have another question. How long does or can it take for someone from China to obtain a visitor's visa to the US, and can that be applied for while the process for procuring a marriage visa is being undertaken. I hope I am clear enough here. I do not know the termsA, and I am not sure about the difference between these two visas.

All I know is that I would like to find a means of getting my girlfriend here sooner, rather than later.

Thanks again.

210392[/snapback]

The chances of an unmarried Chinese woman obtaining a visitor visa to the USA are slim and none. You'll be doing all the visiting.

Once the Fiance or Spouse visa process is begun there is not ANY chance of her obtaining a visitor visa. I should add that if you somehow did obtain a visitor visa for her with the intention of marrying in the US, that is Visa fraud, and she can be deported and permanently barred from entry to the US. Then you'll not only be doing the visiting, you'll be moving to China to be with your wife.

Edited by pushbrk (see edit history)

The chances of an unmarried Chinese woman obtaining a visitor visa to the USA are slim and none. You'll be doing all the visiting.

Once the Fiance or Spouse visa process is begun there is not ANY chance of her obtaining a visitor visa. I should add that if you somehow did obtain a visitor visa for her with the intention of marrying in the US, that is Visa fraud, and she can be deported and permanently barred from entry to the US. Then you'll not only be doing the visiting, you'll be moving to China to be with your wife.

That is perfect advice. Mike (pushbrk) is well worth listening to on this, and many other matters.

The chances of an unmarried Chinese woman obtaining a visitor visa to the USA are slim and none.  You'll be doing all the visiting.

210435[/snapback]

With all due respect, no, this is not correct. The Chinese are getting wealthier and wealthier by the day and in cities such as Shanghai and Beijing, there are many wealthy individuals with homes and cars and other assets which would demonstrate ample evidence to the VO that a visitor visa would and should indeed be issued.

What it boils down to is whether the person seeking a visitor visa can demonstrate whether s/he has enough funds to travel to the USA and support his or her trip and whether or not that individual has sufficient ties to China to compel that person to come back to China once the US visit has concluded.

I have seen many educated Shanghai females with sufficient means obtain tourist and business visas to visit the US. It is not at all a slim or nil chance endeavor.

However if the female in question is rather poor and from a poor province (for example: GuiZhou or GuangXi) then indeed it would be pretty darn hard to obtain a visitor visa--still it's not impossible.

Lastly, as it pertains to a K-1 visa application, then it would be almost impossible to obtain a regular tourist visa once you're already in the K-1 visa process. Because the K-1 visa application is based on the intent of eventual immigration, then no toursit visa will be issued as one has to prove that one is not interested in immigrating to the US if issued a visitor visa. But a K-1 visa application would directly counter that.

Guest pushbrk
The chances of an unmarried Chinese woman obtaining a visitor visa to the USA are slim and none.  You'll be doing all the visiting.

210435[/snapback]

With all due respect, no, this is not correct. The Chinese are getting wealthier and wealthier by the day and in cities such as Shanghai and Beijing, there are many wealthy individuals with homes and cars and other assets which would demonstrate ample evidence to the VO that a visitor visa would and should indeed be issued.

What it boils down to is whether the person seeking a visitor visa can demonstrate whether s/he has enough funds to travel to the USA and support his or her trip and whether or not that individual has sufficient ties to China to compel that person to come back to China once the US visit has concluded.

I have seen many educated Shanghai females with sufficient means obtain tourist and business visas to visit the US. It is not at all a slim or nil chance endeavor.

However if the female in question is rather poor and from a poor province (for example: GuiZhou or GuangXi) then indeed it would be pretty darn hard to obtain a visitor visa--still it's not impossible.

Lastly, as it pertains to a K-1 visa application, then it would be almost impossible to obtain a regular tourist visa once you're already in the K-1 visa process. Because the K-1 visa application is based on the intent of eventual immigration, then no toursit visa will be issued as one has to prove that one is not interested in immigrating to the US if issued a visitor visa. But a K-1 visa application would directly counter that.

210608[/snapback]

My intent was to set the proper expectation for the USC who asked the question. A business visa was not mentioned or addressed.

The chances are "none" for the vast majority and "slim" for a small minority of unmarried Chinese women.