CR-1 Visas

I have actually stayed away from Candle for 4 days or so. It seems like an eternity! Now that the hubbie is here, there are new challenges, but at least we can face them together!

I-551 anyone? What does this mean, where and when do we get it, can we apply for a soc sec number without it,etc?

I think 5 different people over helplines gave me 5 different answers to these questions.

Another tidbit was that because of the disappearance of the INS, there is a huge processing backlog, and even if I apply for a soc sec number, it aint happening for months. Good-bye work! Hello poverty! Anyone have any experiences or info to share?

Ana we hope to be in America together in July, if GZ can ever find our forms that is. Anyway your experiences from here on our would help us a lot in knowing what to do. As you already know I haven't gotten a straight answer from anyone stateside who is supposed to answer these k ind of questions.

Guest nonoa

actually i-551 is the name of the green card. at the poe, the ins officer should have already stamped it on your passport. you are entitled to work with an I-551 stamp on your passport. you can go ahead to apply for ssn with the passport and the stamp.

ahhh!

well, the last woman i talked to over the social security line told me that the stamp in his passport that said, 'processed for I-551' was not enough to get a ssn, and that she had no idea how to process this form.

the important thing is that another woman told me that i shouldnt apply immediately for an ssn even if i have the I-551 because, due to backlog, his name wont even be on the computer system and so it will take 3-4 months for them to go through the process of writing to the ins. she said i should wait at least 1 month before applying.

then i have gotten contradictory answers about whether or not it is legal for him to work before ssn. some say yes, some say no.

any insights?

Guest nonoa

yes, he can certainly work with an i-551 stamp on his passport. but the problem is that not too many employees are willing to hire somebody without an ssn.

the last lady is wrong. go to the local ssa and talk to someboday in person there. if he/she still gives you negative answers, ask to talk to the supervisor. been there, done that.

as to the processing time, plz read the following.

"Thirty-Day Rule

The procedure for issuance of a Social Security Card varies based upon how long one has been in the U.S. If it has been fewer than 30 days, the SSA will look at the documents and process the application, provided that the documents appear valid. If there are questions of validity, the SSA will request INS verification.

If one has been in the U.S. for more than 30 days, the SSA routinely will obtain INS verification of the documents. The reason for this differing treatment is that the system used to verify the information generally does not include information for persons who have been in the U.S. fewer than 30 days. The inquiry system, known as SAVE (INS Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements) enables online verification for persons with INS "A" numbers (alien registration numbers). The A number is issued in a variety of cases including applications for adjustment of status, employment authorization documents (EADs), removal proceedings, asylum applications, and others.

Many non-immigrants, persons on H1B status, for example, do not receive A numbers.

How Long Does the Process Take?

If one has an A number and has been in the U.S. for more than 30 days, the SSA will perform an online SAVE inquiry at the time the individual makes the application for a social security number. If eligibility is verified, the Social Security Number (SSN) application is processed. A receipt can be supplied upon request. The social security card should be issued within two weeks, according to the SSA.

If the person has been present for more than thirty days but the status cannot be verified on line, the SSA will manually request verification from INS. This procedure is followed whether or not the person has an A number. The applications are held for INS response and then processed after verification is received. The timeframe for card issuance in these instances is about six weeks.

For persons who have been in the U.S. fewer than 30 days, the SSA will process the application if the documents appear valid. SSA says that, in such cases, the processing time will be two weeks."

When my wife picked up her papers for her IR-1 visa she was also given a notice from the Social Security Administration. It reads:

We are pleased to welcome you to the United States. By law, each immigrant or refugee admitted to the U.S.A. must obtain a Social Security Number.

You will need a Social Security Number to work in the U.S.A., to open a bank account, to pay taxes, and for many other purposes.

Wehn you are settled in your new home, please telephone the Social Security Office to find out where to apply for a Social Security Number. The telephone number is listed in the local phone directory under "United States Government".

Take the passport or travel document, "Alien Registration Receipt Card" (Form 1-551) if any, and birth certificate (if you have one) for each family member to the Social Security Office. A Social Security representative will help you complete the Social Security Number Application Form. A social security coard for each individual will be mailed to your home approximately 2 weeks after the Social Security Office has everything it needs. If the social Security Office needs to verify documents with the issuing agency, it may take longer.

end quote/

A couple of notes: Her IR-1 documentation has the "A" alien registration number listed on it.

The fact that Michigan has passed a law making it legal for illegal aliens to work only applies to State matters, not federal. They still cannot work legally by federal law. Federal law takes precedence over State law. That was one of the matters settled by our Civil War. The State of Michigan may not pursue any action, but the Federal government still can, although they are so overwhelmed by numbers of illegal aliens that they usually don't.

When my wife picked up her papers for her IR-1 visa she was also given a notice from the Social Security Administration.  It reads:

We are pleased to welcome you to the United States.  By law, each immigrant or refugee admitted to the U.S.A. must obtain a Social Security Number.

You will need a Social Security Number to work in the U.S.A., to open a bank account, to pay taxes, and for many other purposes.

Wehn you are settled in your new home, please telephone the Social Security Office to find out where to apply for a Social Security Number.  The telephone number is listed in the local phone directory under "United States Government".

Take the passport or travel document, "Alien Registration Receipt Card" (Form 1-551) if any, and birth certificate (if you have one) for each family member to the Social Security Office.  A Social Security representative will help you complete the Social Security Number Application Form.  A social security coard for each individual will be mailed to your home approximately 2 weeks after the Social Security Office has everything it needs.  If the social Security Office needs to verify documents with the issuing agency, it may take longer.

end quote/

A couple of notes:  Her IR-1 documentation has the "A" alien registration number listed on it.

The fact that Michigan has passed a law making it legal for illegal aliens to work only applies to State matters, not federal.  They still cannot work legally by federal law.  Federal law takes precedence over State law.  That was one of the matters settled by our Civil War. The State of Michigan may not pursue any action, but the Federal government still can, although they are so overwhelmed by numbers of illegal aliens that they usually don't.

Hmmm.. they really sent a note saying this??? I would love to find a reference to this law. They then state a number of incorrect things, you do not need a SSN to open a bank account or pay taxes, or for many other purposes then work in a job that you are required to pay FICA. They seem to get a lot wrong in a short note!

Also, the civil war did not give federal law precedence over state law, in fact there are many areas state law has precedence, and the constitution itself says that powers not enumerated by it are reserved to the states. The feds have manged to stretch the commerce clause to the max though. The civil war settled that the states do not have the rights to succeed from the union they entered when joining as a state (or commonwealth).

Odd they would mention this in a letter from the SSN, this letter seems highly misleading.