DINING IN GUZ???

shutterme2

I would like a change from Chinese food, and I know that GUZ has many places to eat that are supposed to be good.

We are staying at the building next to the consulate which is called downtown area, if any of you have been here lately and have any good experiances with great places to have dinner that would be great.

If you are looking for an american type steakhouse, try Madison's.  They are located on the small street next to the garden hotel.  Very good steaks, but not cheap though in the 30-50 US dollar price range.

197447[/snapback]

fuman, thanks for the info..... We are going to be here till next thursday.... I would like to know if there are any good italian joints close by??

There is a terrific Italian restaurant on Tianhe Bei Rd. It is located near the Grand International Hotel. This hotel is on the same road as the restaurant. Unfortunately, I forgot its name. :hug: However, we were recommended to this place by the conceirge at the Grand International. Maybe, if you call them they can give you the name. Their number is (8620)3880333. In addition, this Italian restaurant is just a few doors down from an awesome Thai restaurant. Some of the best Thai food I ever had. If you are interested in going back to Chinese...try the dim sum food or as they call it the morning tea located next to the Grand International Hotel. This restaurant is called the Fortune Restaurant. Funny, it is the only place I kept the box of tissue you get when dinning in China. Finally, this hotel is an awesome and very reasonably priced hotel as well. Located close to the embassy. Well, I wish I could be of better help!! Oh, found a Starbucks and Diary Queen near the downtown movie theatre and shopping mall...good luck and "Buon Appetito". :P

Edited by chef4u (see edit history)
There is a terrific Italian restaurant on Tianhe Bei Rd.  It is located near the Grand International Hotel. This hotel is on the same road as the restaurant.  Unfortunately, I forgot its name. :P However, we were recommended to this place by the conceirge at the Grand International.  Maybe, if you call them they can give you the name.  Their number is (8620)3880333.  In addition, this Italian restaurant is just a few doors down from an awesome Thai restaurant.  Some of the best Thai food I ever had.  If you are interested in going back to Chinese...try the dim sum food or as they call it the morning tea located next to the Grand International Hotel.  This restaurant is called the Fortune Restaurant.  Funny, it is the only place I kept the box of tissue you get when dinning in China.  Finally, this hotel is an awesome and very reasonably priced hotel as well.  Located close to the embassy.  Well, I wish I could be of better help!!  Oh, found a Starbucks and Diary Queen near the downtown movie theatre and shopping mall...good luck and "Buon Appetito". :D

197458[/snapback]

chef4u,

The name of the restaurant is.... Di Matteo

Just minutes from the consulate, we had lunch their and it was a buffet, not too bad, also looked at the dinner menu and it looked good. We may try it for dinner before we leave.

Thanks for the info

Shutter,

If you are in the mood for some fantastic Thai food, there is a chain, called Banana Leaf, the same one in HK. THe curry is out of this world. There are at least 4 locations in GZ. There are 3 very close to the Friendship store across the street from the Garden Hotel. Give it a try,

The curry crab is to die for :D

• 2 weeks later...
When I'm in China, I prefer the Chinese food.  I don't like to be a tourist, as much as I can help it. 

Anyone got some great Chinese places, I'm sorry, I have not looked for posts on here regarding restaurants as yet.

Thanks,

Rick

201416[/snapback]

What type of Chinese food? Cantonese, Sichuan, Hunan, Yunan?

When I'm in China, I prefer the Chinese food.?I don't like to be a tourist, as much as I can help it.?

Anyone got some great Chinese places, I'm sorry, I have not looked for posts on here regarding restaurants as yet.

Thanks,

Rick

201416[/snapback]

What type of Chinese food? Cantonese, Sichuan, Hunan, Yunan?

201655[/snapback]

I'm curious; has anyone eaten any of them cute litttle black water beetles i saw in GZ? They looked scrumpteous and I was tempted to try them but I chickened out,,um, I mean I went out for chicken instead!....:)

Just curious to know!

So far, I think the cantonese food that I've had was the best. I was in shenzhen and there are many people from hong kong there. So, there are many nice cantonese restaurants owned by people from hong kong, and also are particular about the quality of the food.

I am open to all suggestions though, maybe a variety would be nice. I like to eat where many of the locals like to go, I'm not into the tourist type of thing. Also maybe a good chinese seafood restaurant.

I was tempted to eat those beetles. A guy at work tried them before and said they were horrible.

• 3 years later...

Moving to GUZ Info forum.

When we were in Guangzhou there was a very nice Spanish Restaurant not far from the Consulate.