Applying for a Fiance Visa and Terrified

I'm not a very experienced member but I think the problem would be before the interview you need to get copies of birth certificates, police certificates, ect. from yous SO's hometown.  These are only good for a certain amount of time.  I might be wrong, and one of the other members could chime in here and tell you exactly but I think those are good for a year after you get them.  But, I'm really not sure so I hope some other members can tell you exactly how long these documents are good for. 

194640[/snapback]

Yes.... some expire at a year (ie: police certificate) and some don't expire (ie: birth certificate)...

would you move, setup work in Korea and file at the embassy there (if they allow it)? Or you'd still file at embassy in China?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to CFL. We will be your extended dysfunctional family for the remainder of your visa process. Frank gave you the best advice. If you are eligible to live and work in China a DCF will get you the fastest visa. Probably around 6 months. As far as moving to Korea I would ask smilingasia she may have more information in that regard since she works in the visa industry in GZ.

Okay, I'm an American living in Guangzhou and about to start this journey. I'm not at all looking forward to it. Frankly, I just wish I could go for an interview with my fiance and be done with it, but nothing is ever that easy.

The first set back was that the consulate in Guangzhou gave me information and forms that were outdated and invalid. Am I the only one less than thrilled with their service?

The big point for me is that I've heard this process will take anywhere from 4 months to 2 years. Quite frankly, I'm not sure if I can make it in China for 2 more years (I've been here for 1 now). I haven't adjusted well and last night I had a panic attack at the thought.

Here's my first question, is it faster to get married in the States or in China (she's from Guangzhou, so at least there wouldn't be any trips to a home province). I understand that answers come only in generalities, but I appreciate any guidance you have.

194295[/snapback]

I think it is faster to just get a K1, and marry within 90 days of her getting there. K3 is just too much work in my opinion!

At least registering a marriage is a lot easier in the US in my opinion.

Perhaps, it is because I do not know what to expect overseas and so it seems like an unknown to me.

Okay, I'm an American living in Guangzhou and about to start this journey. I'm not at all looking forward to it. Frankly, I just wish I could go for an interview with my fiance and be done with it, but nothing is ever that easy.

The first set back was that the consulate in Guangzhou gave me information and forms that were outdated and invalid. Am I the only one less than thrilled with their service?

The big point for me is that I've heard this process will take anywhere from 4 months to 2 years. Quite frankly, I'm not sure if I can make it in China for 2 more years (I've been here for 1 now). I haven't adjusted well and last night I had a panic attack at the thought.

Here's my first question, is it faster to get married in the States or in China (she's from Guangzhou, so at least there wouldn't be any trips to a home province). I understand that answers come only in generalities, but I appreciate any guidance you have.

194295[/snapback]

I think it is faster to just get a K1, and marry within 90 days of her getting there. K3 is just too much work in my opinion!

At least registering a marriage is a lot easier in the US in my opinion.

Perhaps, it is because I do not know what to expect overseas and so it seems like an unknown to me.

195083[/snapback]

For those who have a visa to live and work in China a direct consular filing (DCF) is the fastest visa possible. It pretty much side steps the USCIS and eliminates the processing time at one of the service centers. A DCF filing usually results in a visa in 6-8 months.

For those who have a visa to live and work in China a direct consular filing (DCF) is the fastest visa possible.  It pretty much side steps the USCIS and eliminates the processing time at one of the service centers.  A DCF filing usually results in a visa in 6-8 months.

Also eliminates a possibly long and/or messy Adjustment of Status process ONCE here in the US. :(

195095[/snapback]

Are those of you saying a "DCF" is faster saying that it's faster to get married in China, i.e. a K-3?

Guest pushbrk
For those who have a visa to live and work in China a direct consular filing (DCF) is the fastest visa possible.  It pretty much side steps the USCIS and eliminates the processing time at one of the service centers.  A DCF filing usually results in a visa in 6-8 months.

Also eliminates a possibly long and/or messy Adjustment of Status process ONCE here in the US. :)

195095[/snapback]

Are those of you saying a "DCF" is faster saying that it's faster to get married in China, i.e. a K-3?

195368[/snapback]

What is being said is that if the USC is a resident of China, marrying in China and filing DCF for a CR1 is the fastest way to a visa and to a green card. DCF is for CR1. Not for K3.

Also eliminates a possibly long and/or messy Adjustment of Status process ONCE here in the US. :)

195095[/snapback]

195368[/snapback]

A K-3 visa is filed stateside. It is dependent on filing an I-130 first. This is the type of visa you would be filing for if you didn't have a visa to legally live and work in China but got married there. Here is how it works. A US citizen goes to China to visit his fiancée and while there he marries. Since he only has a tourist visa he must file an I-130 through the USCIS stateside. The government has recognized that CR-1 visas are sometimes too slow so they came up with the K-3 visa. Once the petitioner gets the NOA-1 which is basically a receipt showing they got the I-130 petition the USC can file an I-129F for a K-3 visa. The K-3 visa allows the beneficiary to wait in the US until the I-130 is approved . Time lines for a K-1 (fiancée) visa is anywhere from 8-12 months depending on which service center you file through and if you are lucky to not be delayed in name checks etc. K-3 visas are generally 10-14 months. CR-1 visas are usually a little longer than K-3 but not always. A DCF bypasses the USCIS stateside and goes directly to the consulate. Shaving off at least a month of the process. Usually DCF results in a visa in 6-8 months.

A CR-1 visa is the type of visa you get if you file an I-130. An I-130 is the form you fill out if you marry in China.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-130.htm

Here is a link that will help you find a lot of useful information here on CFL

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16183

Edited by warpedbored (see edit history)

I am, for lack of a better term, poor in the eyes of the United States (since I left the country almost immediately after graduating college).

Will it be difficult or add major complications if my parents sign some kind of affidavit of financial support?

Will it be difficult or add major complications if my parents sign some kind of affidavit of financial support?

195623[/snapback]

Not really a major complication, just another form to be filled out by the parent. A number of USCs residing in China don't satisfy the minimum income requirements and have had to ask a parent to provide an affidavit of support. The type of visa will dictate which form will be used. For the K visas, it's the I-134; for immigrant visas (CR/IR-1), it's the I-864.

Ryleeys,

I will also tell you something else. When I went to file my I-130 (DCF) at the consulate the visa officer told me that after filing the I-130 I am free to return to the U.S. and everything else will keep going just as if I were there. So, if you really can't stand China and you've just got to get out the best way to get your SO home to you in the fastest way is to get married in China, file the I-130 (DCF) at a consulate, then you can return to the U.S. and wait for her to finish the process.

Many, many people also file with a joint sponsor. It is ok to ask one of your parents to help you with the financial proof. It's not a problem. I know the process seems complicated now but it will get easier to understand. Don't lose heart. It's not as bad as it seems in the beginning.

Yet another question...

My friend (an American woman that is looking into this process) says that getting married in China and filing for a visa may be shorter, but is much more difficult because you have to deal with the Chinese government.

Any thoughts on this?

(You guys are great. I appreciate your experience and openness.)