Hi Patrick. Welcome to CFL.

My wife is also from Shanghai.

I'd give you our phone number so our ladies could talk to each other except that:

A. Amy already spends most of her free time on the phone as it is, and

B. You would probably kill me as the result of your SO spending all her free time talking to Amy!! :banned:  :lol:

If she does want to talk to a fellow Shanghaiese who has already gone through the process, Amy can be reached on a website called 001.com.cn

Her handle is coconuthead B)

189954[/snapback]

Hello Cosmiclobster:

Thank you for your warm welcome. I just finished sending an email to my girlfriend Feng. She doesn't have a computer and has no skill for it. I am a computer IT and am planning on teaching her about them. I have four in my house.

Feng is in school for English but she has expressed her difficulty with learning and practicing. I set up an online email account for Feng at <address deleted> I hired a translator with computer skills in Shanghai to pick up the emails for Feng, translate them and give them to Feng. She writes her responses, which are then translated back into English and sent back to me. I practice Mandarin with the Pimsleur Mandarin CD's and I practice with some of my Chinese students (Tai Chi) On my 4th lesson, I actually understood the dialog between two Mandarin speakers. I was very happy. I have 90 - 45 minute lessons, so I have 86 more to go.

I will post more information soon. I have to figure out how to post my timeline. Thank you for your kindness.

Patrick (Chinglung)

Edited by frank1538 (see edit history)
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Patrick. Welcome. My SO is Shang hai too.

Don't be suprised if the E-mail address gets clipped.

But ,

190005[/snapback]

Sorry, Patrick, best to keep personal contact information away from public view. :)

190012[/snapback]

Shei Shei Ni Frank, I didn't know.

Patrick

But ,

190005[/snapback]

Sorry, Patrick, best to keep personal contact information away from public view. ;)

190012[/snapback]

Shei Shei Ni Frank, I didn't know.

Patrick

190019[/snapback]

Shei Shei. Nice! :)

But ,

190005[/snapback]

Hello Yuan Fen:

I thougjt Shanghai was great. I have told my girlfriend Feng, that I thought it would be a nice place to retire to. Probably by the time I am ready to retire, my Mandarin will be improved. Wo shi de bu hao.

Chinglung

Jie and I have talked of retirement in China as well.

Shang hai is a fun place, but expensive.

We've talked of a summer place up north, Ha er bing, and a winter place down south, maybe not too far south, Hangzhou. Close enough to Shang hai when we want to go.

Looks like you've got some pinyin "skeels". hehehe

Chalk it up to dialect, thats right its just a different dialect.

The people are here are great. Best thing I've found was reading FAQs. If it's not there I would be suprised.

Welcome again,

Eric

P.S. Does this have spell check?

chinglung

189503[/snapback]

There is a link to the Triggictionary somewhere, but no direct spell check. B)

Trigg might be along to tell you where to find that Triggictionary... :angry:

189505[/snapback]

For those of you whose digits have a mind of their own, you can try http://www.iespell.com/download.php - not a bad spell checker for IE.

I offered this to Trigg once, but it contained none of his words, so he axed it.

189538[/snapback]

BZZZZZZZZ, wrong!! I use it avery day. it wurks gooder than most!

Hello Everyone:

I joined your group today and this is my first post. I've been trying to find my way around the forum, reading posts from the members and absorbing information and comments. My name is Patrick and I am from Chicago. My girlfriend lives in Shanghai and her name is Feng. She went for her interveiw on October 24th, 2005 and was denied her K1 Visa. She hired some Consultants in Guangzhou, who went for her Visa yesterday and was denied again. I have to wait for the paper work to find what their reasons were and start again.

I have patience as I am a Chinese gung fu and tai chi chuan teacher and having been practicing for 35 years. I have a web page at http://farsnott.tripod.com

I have to read more posts so that I can learn what the initials mean in the time lines that I see. I feel very lucky to find this web site, as having the experience of so many people available to read does feel like a candle in the darkness.

Thank you for reading this.

189248[/snapback]

Stay close. There is a world of experience on CFL. Welcome :clapping:

Welcome.

190030[/snapback]

Hello Shaffja:

Thank you for your welcome. How was your trip?

chinglung