Case Complete at NVC - Priority Date

Hi all,

Well, it has been almost a full year since I married Wenzhen in Chongqing, and I miss her like crazy.

NVC has completed our case, and the letter I just received from them told me to check priority dates. While that site left a lot of ambiguity as to whether these related to me.

My heart sank when I read the prioiry date was Apr 22, 2001. My priority date (the date I filed) is Mar. 11, 2005.

I have read some posts that seem to indicate that the spousal priority date listed does not refer to an US Citizen and their spouse.

What is the truth here ? Any hints on when we might see an interview ?

Way out in the Sea of Red Tape... anyone gotta lifesaver ?

thanks

Are you K3 or CR1? I guess it does not matter which one... The priority date at NVC site don't make sense to me neither. If your case is on its way to GZ, say K3 for example, you could be expecting P3 in about 3 months. For CR1, about 3 months to know something from DOS if the name/security check go smoothly. other than what I had experience from my cases, I can not help you much.

Edited by ckhang (see edit history)
Are you K3 or CR1?  I guess it does not matter which one...  The priority date at NVC site don't make sense to me neither.  If your case is on its way to GZ, say K3 for example, you could be expecting P3 in about 3 months.  For CR1, about 3 months to know something from DOS if the name/security check go smoothly.  other than what I had experience from my cases, I can not help you much.

185115[/snapback]

Sorry I didn't say. Our case is CR1.

thanks for the input

Which center did you send it to? NSC and TSC go to CSC so ignore what they say for the 130 and look at the CSC timelines.

It's still not good that you're waiting so long for a NOA1 or even a NOA2 - might be worth calling DOS or emailing NVC with your case #:

NVCInquiry@state.gov

Good luck to you.

Guest pushbrk
Hi all,

Well, it has been almost a full year since I married Wenzhen in Chongqing, and I miss her like crazy.

NVC has completed our case, and the letter I just received from them told me to check priority dates. While that site left a lot of ambiguity as to whether these related to me.

My heart sank when I read the prioiry date was Apr 22, 2001.  My priority date (the date I filed) is Mar. 11, 2005.

I have read some posts that seem to indicate that the spousal priority date listed does not refer to an US Citizen and their spouse.

What is the truth here ?   Any hints on when we might see an interview ?

Way out in the Sea of Red Tape... anyone gotta lifesaver ?

thanks

185112[/snapback]

"Priority dates" do not apply to the Spouse or Children of a US Citizen. You got a form letter. Ignore the "priority dates".

Check CFL timelines for timelines to project an interview time. You would give back some help if you would post your own timeline.

Edited by pushbrk (see edit history)
"Priority dates" do not apply to the Spouse or Children of a US Citizen.  You got a form letter.  Ignore the "priority dates".

Check CFL timelines for timelines to project an interview time.  You would give back some help if you would post your own timeline.

185137[/snapback]

Not quite true. It may have an impact on the ability to apply for a K-3. If you remember, a K-3 is available only when an immigrant visa is not "immediately available". The priority date indicates when an immigrant visa is technically available. Despite this technicality, the various consulates use a slightly more reasonable approach to deciding when a K-3 can be filed by looking to when the I-130 paperwork actually gets to the consulate:

"...May IR1 Petition Beneficiaries Opt for K3 Processing?

-----------------------------------------------------

30. According to the LIFE Act, a K3 visa may be issued

when "an immigrant visa is not immediately available to

the alien." To maximize the number of aliens who may

benefit from the LIFE Act provisions, VO has determined

that an immigrant visa is "available" only when the actual

approved I-130 petition has been received by the IV-

issuing consular post. If the I-130 petition is at post,

or the applicant has already been interviewed and denied

the IR1 by a consular officer, perhaps due to lack of the

I-864 AOS, that applicant must proceed with IR1 processing

and may not choose to apply instead for the K3. If the I-

130 petition remains at or is in transit from NVC, or the

applicant has already commenced K3 application (by

returning Packet 3 forms) when the I-130 petition arrives

at post, he/she may continue to process the K3 rather than

switch to IR1 processing. K3 applicants may opt at any

time to process as IR1s rather than continue the K3

application..."

Special thanks to tywy for finding this. His original post is contained in this thread: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...opic=11681&st=0

Guest pushbrk
"Priority dates" do not apply to the Spouse or Children of a US Citizen.  You got a form letter.  Ignore the "priority dates".

Check CFL timelines for timelines to project an interview time.  You would give back some help if you would post your own timeline.

185137[/snapback]

Not quite true. It may have an impact on the ability to apply for a K-3. If you remember, a K-3 is available only when an immigrant visa is not "immediately available". The priority date indicates when an immigrant visa is technically available. Despite this technicality, the various consulates use a slightly more reasonable approach to deciding when a K-3 can be filed by looking to when the I-130 paperwork actually gets to the consulate:

"...May IR1 Petition Beneficiaries Opt for K3 Processing?

-----------------------------------------------------

30. According to the LIFE Act, a K3 visa may be issued

when "an immigrant visa is not immediately available to

the alien." To maximize the number of aliens who may

benefit from the LIFE Act provisions, VO has determined

that an immigrant visa is "available" only when the actual

approved I-130 petition has been received by the IV-

issuing consular post. If the I-130 petition is at post,

or the applicant has already been interviewed and denied

the IR1 by a consular officer, perhaps due to lack of the

I-864 AOS, that applicant must proceed with IR1 processing

and may not choose to apply instead for the K3. If the I-

130 petition remains at or is in transit from NVC, or the

applicant has already commenced K3 application (by

returning Packet 3 forms) when the I-130 petition arrives

at post, he/she may continue to process the K3 rather than

switch to IR1 processing. K3 applicants may opt at any

time to process as IR1s rather than continue the K3

application..."

Special thanks to tywy for finding this. His original post is contained in this thread: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...opic=11681&st=0

185177[/snapback]

Without further explanation I don't see how the above relates to "priority dates". It DOES seem clear that a completed CR1 applicant may not be able to file for a K3.

priority date is meaningless to fiance/spouse visa applications. dont worry. the consulate in guangzhou will process your wife's case when they receive your file, but usually it takes two months for them to receive your file. so it means perhaps they will tell you they have received your file in march.

Frank, it seems you started your case about a month after me but you are a good ways behind me. It seemed my case was moving on the faster end of things, get past the namecheck and the brakes seemed to go on. I would think getting to Guz means you are half way there, just wait on the namecheck then the interview.

The priority dates scared the hell outta me at first to. They dont seem to apply to us as mentioned already. Just grab some cheetos and mingle. We are all in the same line. And there is a light at the end. I can see it now, just hoping it isnt the proverbal train!

Frank, it seems you started your case about a month after me but you are a good ways behind me.  It seemed my case was moving on the faster end of things, get past the namecheck and the brakes seemed to go on.  I would think getting to Guz means you are half way there, just wait on the namecheck then the interview. 

The priority dates scared the hell outta me at first to.  They dont seem to apply to us as mentioned already.  Just grab some cheetos and mingle.  We are all in the same line.  And there is a light at the end.  I can see it now, just hoping it isnt the proverbal train!

185949[/snapback]

Chad,

When I read your comment, I realized I had left the fact that the DS-230 (or as I understand P3) was already sent and processed. So, I added this to my timeline.

In my case the CSC in California just sat on my application for 5 months without even a touch. I had to contact my Senator Harry Reid, to get them moving. The NVC was also quite slow, but not as bad as the CSC.

Now, I only hope that GZ is a bit better. Our anniversay is in a couple weeks, I know we wont hear anything by then. My daughters wedding is April 15 (I have the honors to conduct the ceremony), and it is my prayer that she can be here. It seems like it would take a miracle, but miracles happen.