We're In Guangzhou

Sherry and I made it to Guangzhou this afternoon. We are staying at the Tian Lun International Hotel, just two blocks or 5 minutes walk from the US Consulat. We walked down theren this afternoon and looked around, but the Consulat was closed for the holiday.

Does anyone know if there is more than one entrance? We went in the door directly in line with the small police station, but all that was inside was an elevator, no escaltors as descibed in an earlier post we had read.

Our interview time is at 7:15 AM..................keep your fingers crossed for us and think good thoughts.................we'll update you Tuesday! :rolleyes:

The main entrance to the building was where we entered 3 months ago, they had a number of metal barricades where people would line up to enter the main lobby. I believe there were about 4 or 5 sets of glass doors to enter the lobby. The building faces a large park.

What you describe sounds like the entrance to one of the apartment buildings.

Sherry and I made it to Guangzhou this afternoon.  We are staying at the Tian Lun International Hotel, just two blocks or 5 minutes walk from the US Consulat. 

Our interview time is at 7:15 AM..................keep your fingers crossed for us and think good thoughts.................we'll update you Tuesday! :blink:

183086[/snapback]

Hello Kurt, how is this Tian Lun hotel? What are the rates there? My SO and I will go to GZ to visit and familiarize her with the consulate area there in March, before she goes there for interview, likely in April. Maybe this would be a good hotel to stay for us when we go there to check things out before I return to USA. Thanks for any information you can share with me!

Best of luck with the Interview!!!

Jim

Sherry and I made it to Guangzhou this afternoon.  We are staying at the Tian Lun International Hotel, just two blocks or 5 minutes walk from the US Consulat. 

Our interview time is at 7:15 AM..................keep your fingers crossed for us and think good thoughts.................we'll update you Tuesday! :D

183086[/snapback]

Hello Kurt, how is this Tian Lun hotel? What are the rates there? My SO and I will go to GZ to visit and familiarize her with the consulate area there in March, before she goes there for interview, likely in April. Maybe this would be a good hotel to stay for us when we go there to check things out before I return to USA. Thanks for any information you can share with me!

Best of luck with the Interview!!!

Jim

183129[/snapback]

Jim,

The rate here at this hotel for a single room is $650 RMB a night, a little steep for what you get. It's worth it though for the location. You are a five minute walk to the consulat. I will see if I can get some additional and a web site for you to look at.

Here is a link to the floor plan and a step by step process inside the consulate. It's in Chinese but it should be very helpful to all that will walk this road soon.

Maybe one of our nice admins will put it in the links section if it isn't already!

http://www.laogonglaopo.com/001files/public/Interview_ML.htm

183235[/snapback]

I remember visiting Guz in august of last year. I was told they were open on Sundays and I thought this was strange but went anyway. They are not open on Sundays as everybody in the world knows. I was shocked because my expectations were the office would have the American seal and flag and the trappings of America. Wrong again. 2 big black doors. The escalator was not turned on. No one around except people trying to sell a quick visa service which would be guaranteed of course. I left depressed. It was worth the trip from Zhuhai because I wondered what this powerful place looked like. Nothing special I learned but until you see it you don’t know. I had my wife take a picture of me in front of the doors posing like those women on “Let’s make a Deal” or the “Price is Right.’ I can’t find the photo or I would use it on my cfl image. Go and have fun with your wife. I hope the best for you.

Jim,

The rate here at this hotel for a single room is $650 RMB a night, a little steep for what you get.  It's worth it though for the location.  You are a five minute walk to the consulat.  I will see if I can get some additional and a web site for you to look at.

183263[/snapback]

Thanks for the info Kurt! That is pretty steep, but if it is a nice place, it would be worth it for our last couple nights before I head home. The location is definitely great.

Appreciate the info!

Jim

650 RMB? That is not cheap. I expect a 5 star hotel for that price.

Why not just find a hotel that is a 5 minute taxi-cab ride away instead.

The taxi will just cost you less than 20 RMB.

183340[/snapback]

Jonathan, I agree with you. Do you know a better alternative hotel that is in the same general area of Guangzhou as the Consulate? Even a 10 minute cab ride is no problem. I'm just not familiar with GZ to know what are good hotels within reasonable distance. I appreciate any help in advance!!

Jim