You haven't meet her yet and you discussing marriage in HK ? That's planning ahead !!

You can confirm that she lives in china (or HK) and you are working stateside?

Normally you have to file a I-130 either stateside or directly to a consulate, if you meet certain conditions...

can you share a link about filing DS-156 eform?

Guest pushbrk
Hello, Newbie here.

Do I understand correctly that if we get married in Hong Kong, then we file the DS-156 eform online for the nonimmigrant visa. Or do I still file a patition I-130 locally or both?

Mat

176267[/snapback]

The I-130 CR1 type visa is a general procedure for bringing a spouse to the USA that cannot currently enter the USA legally. The operative criteria is her country of residence and/or citizenship, not the location of your marriage.

For instance, you could have met and married a Chinese girl in, say Singapore while you were both there working. You would still need an I-130 process for her to immigrate to the US. Where you would file and where the I-130 would be processed can change based on your residence at the time of filing but not specifically based on the location of your marriage, to my knowledge.

If I remember correctly from your earlier posts, your girlfriend live in Mainland China but you are both traveling to HK for your first meeting. Is this correct? All these things are pertinent to the advice for which you ask.

Guest pushbrk
Big difference between an interview on an I-130 and a K-3. A mainlander who married in HK (or anywhere else - excluding the US) would have their I-130 interview in their place of residence. If they rseide on the mainland, that would be Guangzhou.

A k-3 normally interview in the country where the marriage took place. There are a few exceptions. Since a mainlander's access to HK isn't that difficult (they got married there didn't they) HK would be where the K-3 interview takes place. Doing so could shave 6 ~ 12 months off the time from petition to visa.

176330[/snapback]

I was curious about what is required to actually marry in Hong Kong. It would appear that if Matt wants to do so on the first trip, he and his SO will need to do significant planning and execution (no pun intended) before either of them arrives in Hong Kong.

http://www.lovetripper.com/article/wedding.../hong-kong.html

How to Get Married in Hong Kong

Residency Requirements: none

Waiting Period: Fifteen days, during which the notice will be exhibited at the Marriage Registry and also at the Marriage Registration & Records. During this period, anyone who wishes to object to the proposed marriage may do so.

If neither you nor your fiancée are a resident of Hong Kong, you will need to give Overseas Notice by obtaining a "Notice of Marriage Form" from the Marriage Registration and Records Office. You will then need to have it notarized by a Notary Public of the country in which you reside, and returned to Hong Kong by registered airmail.

To complete the Notice of Marriage Form, you will both need to supply the following information:

Full name

Marital status

Rank or profession

Dwelling places

In the case of a divorced person, proof of the dissolution of the former marriage by decree pronounced by a competent court is required; and before the marriage takes place, a sealed, certified copy of the court's final decree must be produced to the Registrar.

In the case of a widower or a widow, proof of former marriage and death certificate of former spouse are required.

Please note: If the divorce documents or death certificates are not written in English or Chinese, certified translations of them are required.

Appointments for marriage ceremonies are given on a first-come-first-served basis, and a request can be made when you return the completed Notice of Marriage.

A reply letter will be sent to you to confirm the appointment for marriage ceremony.

You should plan to arrive at the wedding ceremony at least 15 minutes before the scheduled time.

You will need to bring two adult witnesses to the ceremony.

Guest pushbrk
If you file for:

I-130 of IR1/CR1, it will be processed in the Consulate that has a jurisdiciton in the Country of your residence.

I-129F or K3 will be process in the Country where your marriage took place.

Just like mine, look at my timeline

176369[/snapback]

Yours is a Hong Kong marriage?

You haven't meet her yet and you discussing marriage in HK ?  That's planning ahead !!

You can confirm that she lives in china (or HK) and you are working stateside?

Normally you have to file a I-130 either stateside or directly to a consulate, if you meet certain conditions...

can you share a link about filing DS-156 eform?

176276[/snapback]

Here's the link.

http://evisaforms.state.gov/

Hello, Newbie here.

Do I understand correctly that if we get married in Hong Kong, then we file the DS-156 eform online for the nonimmigrant visa. Or do I still file a patition I-130 locally or both?

Mat

176267[/snapback]

I live in the US, SO lives in Shenzhen but has HongKong ID and is free to travel there.

Mat

So, if I'm reading the replies correctly...

The USC files the I-130 (CR-1) in his/her country of residence. The interview is conducted in the country where the alien resides.

The USC files the I-129F (K-3) in his/her country of residence. The interview is conducted in the country where the marriage took place.

You get married in Hong Kong and then you file the I-130 and I-129 when you return to the US.

The DS-156 form comes later, at the P-3 stage, just before the interview.

If you're planning on getting married in Hong Kong do a search for marriage requirements, the US Consulate in HK may have some information or links.

You would need a dual entry visa to China, meet in HK, file the papers, return to China during the 2 week waiting period, return to HK to marry if you two have decided it's the thing to do, then possibly returning to China again. If you've been married before you will need official court copies of your divorce decrees.

Just saw your other thread that you'll be in HK Feb 8-16. Forget getting married there, not enough time. Best bet is to do the I-129F fiancee visa like most people do.

176416[/snapback]

I was thinking maybe we could file the paper work required to get married in HongKong before I get there. So as to be approved to get married when I am there. Is that possible?

Mat :angry:

Guest pushbrk
Just saw your other thread that you'll be in HK Feb 8-16. Forget getting married there, not enough time. Best bet is to do the I-129F fiancee visa like most people do.

176416[/snapback]

I was thinking maybe we could file the paper work required to get married in HongKong before I get there. So as to be approved to get married when I am there. Is that possible?

Mat :huh:

176514[/snapback]

Yes, it is but if you are going in February, you will have to get started right away. I posted the requirements earlier in the thread but they are at this link.

http://www.lovetripper.com/article/wedding.../hong-kong.html

You will have to provide the needed documents to your SO and she can get them translated and notarized in China. Then she can send yours and hers. If all is in order on the first try, you'll be ok but you'll have to start now and hurry.