Hello to everyone, I,m new here, My name is Mat. I have found reading the posts here to be very informative. Looks as though I have a challenging journey ahead of me. I met a wondefull woman online who lives in China, Her name is SongHongmin, We have been writing about three months now and I am going to Hong Kong to finally meet her in Feb. We both have a very good feeling about each other and I will no doubt come home engaged. I am in the process of learning mandarin and she is trying to learn english as much as she can afford to in her spare time. I have no doubts that we will commuicate just fine with translators and electronic dictionaries, my biggest concern is the Guangzhou consulate video tape thing. I'm a government employee so I understand they are just doing their job. One of the guys I work with has a brother who works at Guangzhou, Hoping he can be of some help but not counting on it. Any advice would be greatly appriciated. Hope to meet some wounderful people here!

Mat :rolleyes:

Mat,

Welcome to CFL. You should read the CFL links. Since you haven't start the process yet, you shouldn't worry so much about the video tape thing yet. You should make sure you do the paperwork correctly and also keep track of relationship evidences stuff (photos, phone logs, snail mails, etc). Most interviews do not require the petitioner to provide the video tape. Good luck.

http://candleforlove.com/list/index.php

Hello to everyone,  I,m new here, My name is Mat.  I have found reading the posts here to be very informative. Looks as though I have  a challenging journey ahead of me. I met a wondefull woman online who lives in China, Her name is SongHongmin, We have been writing about three months now and I am going to Hong Kong to finally meet her in Feb. We both have a very good feeling about each other and I will no doubt come home engaged. I am in the process of learning mandarin and she is trying to learn english as much as she can afford to in her spare time. I have no doubts that we will commuicate just fine with translators and electronic dictionaries, my biggest concern is the Guangzhou consulate video tape thing. I'm  a government employee so I understand they are just doing their job. One of the guys I work with has a brother who works at Guangzhou, Hoping he can be of some help but not counting on it. Any advice would be greatly appriciated. Hope to meet some wounderful people here!

Mat :)

175318[/snapback]

Welcome aboard, yes it is a very long and at time frustrating journey but at the end it is worth it as many here have written. Based on this site advice and knowledge on my second time to China I took a Video camera and did a 5 to 10 mintue video of myself and my SO communticating. While it appears rarely wanted by Guangzhou it is something that seems to come up , so I decided to be prepared when my turn comes to go to Guangzhou. We basically video taped ourselfs talking about how we met, our mutual families, life in USA and China , what she likes and don't like , I speak some Chinese and she speaks some English , however , the purpose is to show we can communicate using various methods, ...

Red

Welcome aboard Mat. What's ahead of you is nothing like you've ever experienced before. Here's my suggestion. Don't worry about communication issues at this early stage. Focus on getting to know your SO and if she's the one, start the process. Communication will only get better during the next year and may not even be a problem when it's time for the interview.

Jingwen spoke no English when we met, and I spoke only a little putonghua, but we both learned how to communicate. And remember, not all communication is verbal. For example, if your SO brings a mop out of the closet for no reason, she's about to tell you something. Just ask Trigg.

Enjoy the ride.

Welcome aboard Matt!!

You are in for quite an experience, but also quite a treat, including the support and advice available here at CFL!!

At this point focus on the relationship! All the rest of the visa process stuff can wait till later. Just take some pictures of you together, keep good records and all receipts during your trip. Video is rarely required.

Since it hasn't been mentioned by the vet's, let me be the first to recommend you stock up well on Cheetos for the long ride!! :)

Best of luck and welcome aboard!!

Welcome to CFL !

My SO didn't really speak her first english till about 4 months into our relationship, but we were able to communicate good enough with measures as you mention.

When I first started the process, I thought the exact same way as you; I was solely concerned and focused on the interview issues.. it seems that about a year ago, the video was asked for more frequently, but not as much anymore... My SO did the interview in chinese as some others have in the past few months as well.

I do agree that you should focus on your SO and decide if this is what you two want.. it is a long, but worthwhile wait. Then clearly get the paperwork in order, etc.

One consideration is whether you two decide to get married, you might consider, if possible, Hong Kong since you would trim a number of months and bypass Guangzhou for a K3 visa. Just a forward thinking thought ; certainly don't want to rush you !! Good luck.