A White horse is not a horse

The premise of this post is to explore if we really understand and know our chinese SO's culture and heritage as much as we should...

---

It is once said that when Kung-Sun Lung was passing the frontier, the frontier guard said: "Horses are not allowed to pass".

Hung-Sun Lung replied: "My horse is white, and a white horse is not a horse". And so saying, he passed with his horse.

---

I recently asked a chinese lady member of CFL (Vette), well articulate in english language, to state her "top 10" for an american man to understand about their chinese lady... here is a wonderful list produced immediately upon asking:

1. her personalities

2. her thoughts

3. her family

4. her education

5. her friends

6. the city where she lives

7. if she's adapt to change

8. is she's a quick learner

9. can she well manage pressure and challenge

10. is she willing to compromise

---

As for the topic title... I told my wife tonight about the items to be posted on this thread and then stated the herein quote ("A white horse is not a horse"). She jumped up and exclaimed, "this is very famous" and jumped about me.

I think that you can choose: Either work on this list or work on understanding the enigmatic quotes of ancient chinese philosophy. They both will most likely lead you to a path travelled by your SO...

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)
The premise of this post is to explore if we really understand and know our chinese SO's culture and heritage as much as we should...

170169[/snapback]

To me the short answer is no, but that won't stop me from continuing to learn and to better understand.

170242[/snapback]

It is impossible to learn the SO's culture because it is constantly changing. You think you got it right and then she does a 180 degrees. Sometimes it is not culture but her beliefs.

Edited by ttlee_99 (see edit history)

I don't quite agree with the idea that it's impossible to learn our SOs culture... which I think contributed towards who she is, why she thinks and believes in certain issues the way she does.

We talked a little about this issue today.. since she knew nothing about american culture and didn't even know english when we first meet... Yet, she adapts more easily than I would of imagined.

She said that when we first meet in china, she could see that I was a person who adapted quickly to the environment... She said that if I was to go over to china and insist on eating hamburgers or different food all the time, then it would of ended without a word.

Today, I asked her what would happen if she did not like the US? She replied, "I followed you here... if it doesn't work out, I always believed you would follow me as well"...

---

So, I wonder if all that we are asking of our SOs is the same that we would be willing to do for them as well ?

Also, who gets more frustrated between the two, and what is the source of that? Is it simply not knowing them, being inflexible on one side, or what?

I don't quite agree with the idea that it's impossible to learn our SOs culture... which I think contributed towards who she is, why she thinks and believes in certain issues the way she does.

We talked a little about this issue today.. since she knew nothing about american culture and didn't even know english when we first meet... Yet, she adapts more easily than I would of imagined.

She said that when we first meet in china, she could see that I was a person who adapted quickly to the environment... She said that if I was to go over to china and insist on eating hamburgers or different food all the time, then it would of ended without a word.

Today, I asked her what would happen if she did not like the US?  She replied, "I followed you here... if it doesn't work out, I always believed you would follow me as well"...

---

So, I wonder if all that we are asking of our SOs is the same that we would be willing to do for them as well ?

Also, who gets more frustrated between the two, and what is the source of that?  Is it simply not knowing them, being inflexible on one side, or what?

170317[/snapback]

I'm willing to learn, It's my willingness to learn asian art that got us together and she knows I'm willing to move to her,

Because of my classes and my mother she knows we need to stay in the states for a while once my duties are done here we will move to asia where ever my degree will give me a good job, be it viet nam or china

Robert

here is a wonderful list produced immediately upon asking:

1. her personalities

2. her thoughts

3. her family

4. her education

5. her friends

That list applies to women (and men) from Texas, France, and Brazil too.

here is a wonderful list produced immediately upon asking:

1. her personalities

2. her thoughts

3. her family

4. her education

5. her friends

That list applies to women (and men) from Texas, France, and Brazil too.

170937[/snapback]

Personalities??? Isn't that plural??? Is my wife suffering form MPD???? No wonder she is so hard to win an arguement with---I'm outnumbered!!!!

Last I looked a white horse was still a horse but then I didn't look him in mouth either.

170997[/snapback]

Yes.. and there is a bit of a silly discourse written on the topic from ancient times, although consistent with the prevailing philosophy of the time...

The premise is that white denotes color and horse denotes shape/form...

---

It is once said that when Kung-Sun Lung was passing the frontier, the frontier guard said: "Horses are not allowed to pass".

Hung-Sun Lung replied: "My horse is white, and a white horse is not a horse".    And so saying, he passed with his horse.

---

I recently asked a chinese lady member of CFL (Vette), well articulate in english language, to state her "top 10" for an american man to understand about their chinese lady... here is a wonderful list produced immediately upon asking:

1. her personalities

2. her thoughts

3. her family

4. her education

5. her friends

---

As for the topic title...  I told my wife tonight about the items to be posted on this thread and then stated the herein quote ("A white horse is not a horse"). She jumped up and exclaimed, "this is very famous" and jumped about me. 

I think that you can choose: Either work on this list or work on understanding the enigmatic quotes of ancient chinese philosophy. They both will most likely lead you to a path travelled by your SO...

170169[/snapback]

Pretty cool post David. I've been thinking about it since you posted it the other day, especially the part about the the white horse.

I went back to my original post and gave credit to Vette for the list.. the spoken author... B)

I think Vettes list is very insightful...

Frankly, I see that my wife possess the last four extremely well.. and continues to validate to me that she is the real reason the relationship is going well... despite all my faults...

• 1 year later...