Job Searching

After some time looking, my wife got an email today for a job opening that she could perform. It is a customer service representative for a call center and they must speak Mandarin.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? What is it and what do they do? any input and replies will be appreciated.

Thanks,

-TY

We have a few call centers in a nearby town because our labor is 'cheap.' CSR's generally solicit (reading a script), or they are who you get when you call. It could be Dell-China or Dell-Taiwan they work for, or it could be calling to get people to join some scheme. I would investigate the company as best you can, find out where the call center is, and if possible, speak with other CSRs about the working conditions and such.

Ours are set up for medical billing. People call what they think is blue cross, and they get the call center. They ask the questions off the card, and route the call accordingly, or use their 'stock' answers.

I would hesitate pursuing anything you receive from email, unless you specifically signed up for some sort of legit job service and they emailed you. Anything unsolicited is probably not worth pursuing as it is likely a scam.

Thanks for the replies mercator and Joanne.

The email was sent by the Greensboro Chinese Association. They put me on their mailing list after I asked for some advice about my stepdaughter. By the way, things have quieted down a bit on that front.

The GCA stated that they have no responsibility for the activities. Maybe it's not worth persuing, I guess. It's just that we've been looking so hard the last few weeks for a job for her that I about jump on anything that comes our way. Hopefully we'll find a job for her soon. I got my eye on a new Wal-mart they're building not far from us. That would be perfect!

Thanks again for the replies!

Thanks for the replies mercator and Joanne.

The email was sent by the Greensboro Chinese Association. They put me on their mailing list after I asked for some advice about my stepdaughter. By the way, things have quieted down a bit on that front.

The GCA stated that they have no responsibility for the activities. Maybe it's not worth persuing, I guess. It's just that we've been looking so hard the last few weeks for a job for her that I about jump on anything that comes our way. Hopefully we'll find a job for her soon. I got my eye on a new Wal-mart they're building not far from us. That would be perfect!

Thanks again for the replies!

169213[/snapback]

Don't give up. There is no harm checking into the situation. I think a job is important to your SO. If nothing else, it will at least give her some confidence, and it can get her to know different people and provide opportunities for future career. I suggest don't be too picky about the first job. (Of course you would n't want her to get trapped like a slave)