questions on fraud

david_dawei

A good thread!

Valid points are raised but ultimately visa seekers are left to prove to a government employee that no fraud is being committed according to current interpretation of the law. How this is assessed has already been suggested. It boils down to departmental procedure,training and the individual employees that check the file throughout the process.

I think that a good cover letter goes a long way to helping the case. I explained why I supported my fiancee in order for her to study English for our life together. I also gave a brief history of the relationship that led to the application. Our age difference (19) was never asked about. The interview was short. Only pictures were asked for, which she simply handed the VO a CD of a screensaver of our pictures I had made.

Investment in the relationship both financial and emotional seems to a large part of the screening but it is also about legality. We who are in love often forget that the governments position is simply to be enforcing laws and seeing they are not being violated.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a member here one time that was denied a visa because of the age difference between the couple.

I tried to find that thread one time awhile ago but couldn't. I can't remember the username but I do remember the thread.

They posted for awhile about the denial. I don't think they ever overcame it because they haven't posted since.

167414[/snapback]

Found it!!

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...indpost&p=34038

that thread is depressing.......

There was a member here one time that was denied a visa because of the age difference between the couple.

I tried to find that thread one time awhile ago but couldn't. I can't remember the username but I do remember the thread.

They posted for awhile about the denial. I don't think they ever overcame it because they haven't posted since.

167414[/snapback]

i remember that thread. It was about the time I first joined CFL. As I recall he was 70 something and she was in her twenties. No one knows if they overcame the denial or not. I suspect not.

167414[/snapback]

i remember that thread. It was about the time I first joined CFL. As I recall he was 70 something and she was in her twenties. No one knows if they overcame the denial or not. I suspect not.

167690[/snapback]

I was glad to see GUZ speak on this issue, and hopefully allay some fears. I couldnt reply directly to the post by GUZ (not enough rights) but I am not only relieved by the answer, but I am also really pleased to see GUZ interacting, and showing they care about our worries.

Thank you for that GUZ!

I am curious what the consulate has to say about the following situations in regards to a fraud profile, raising a red flag or an issue that might cause a VO to suspect something is not right:

1) For a K1 visa, if the couple frequently uses the terms "lao po" and "lao gong" (wife and husband) in email and correspondence ?

2) For a K1 visa, many couples have an 'unoffical' ceremony and pictures taken of this event. If these pictures were shown at the interview, would that be confusing to a VO (might think they got married) ?

167060[/snapback]

Seems GUZ answered the first two...

Dear CFL Member,

Although we for obvious reasons cannot disclose what fraud indicators we look for, we can tell you that accidentally saying wife or husband when describing your fiancé is not one of them. We ourselves occasionally make this mistake, because we might interview 10 applicants in a row, who are married and then might accidentally call someone’s fiancé wife or husband.

We are also aware that it is common in China for couples to take posed wedding photos before their wedding. Try to not to worry too much about little mistakes or slip ups in the interview, we realize that everyone is human

167727[/snapback]

Guest ShaQuaNew

Yes, I did see that response from GUZ. We'd all like to think that GUZ is not out to poke holes in all our hard work and hand us a rejection based upon a technicality. Unfortunately, one can read many stories here on Candle that illustrate the heartbreak of simple-minded rejections that are in sharp contrast to this reply.

Those of us that are legit, honest, and straight-forward expect that those that interview and assess our petitions will be reasonable. The fact is, we find that far too often that those doing the assessing do in fact make what can only be categorized as flippant and uncaring decisions that hurt everyone in the process.

What we need to know is how to see that a VOs actions, both good and bad will be officially documented. A VOs background should be publically available so that the public can see how they rule, previous reprimands and trends in the same way one can view a judge of the court in the US.

Most of you probably think I have been a little hard on VOs in my posts here. Perhaps because of my own experience I have been. To be fair most of them are just doing their job. There are a few though who have stepped over the line and should be held accountable. I can understand why they would not make their names known though. They work with sensitive national security issues and would be too vulnerable to their family being threatened or other nefarious schemes. There should be some system though where they could be identified internally should a complaint be appropriate. Perhaps there already is and we don't know about it. One would think that given your SO's name they would have a record of the VO who interviewed her. That is why I pointed out to GUZ they should take our complaints seriously. I noticed he/she never replied.

Yup. But there is something I wonder about. There are some CFL members that post often. These are the ones that come here and read every day, ask questions, and contribute to threads. Then, there are a few that join here and rarely post. You will see some that go through the entire visa process while being a member here and have fewer than 50 posts. Okay, while some of these folks might just be very busy in their lives, I do wonder about if some of them are part of the skamming network...... :(

167159[/snapback]

As my graduate advisor once observed, "this is not a system of thesis by the pound." (I hope he was referring to someone else's thesis).

It's quality, not quantity that matters. This applies to people's individual traits, as well.

Yup. But there is something I wonder about. There are some CFL members that post often. These are the ones that come here and read every day, ask questions, and contribute to threads. Then, there are a few that join here and rarely post. You will see some that go through the entire visa process while being a member here and have fewer than 50 posts. Okay, while some of these folks might just be very busy in their lives, I do wonder about if some of them are part of the skamming network...... :rolleyes:

167159[/snapback]

As my graduate advisor once observed, "this is not a system of thesis by the pound." (I hope he was referring to someone else's thesis).

It's quality, not quantity that matters. This applies to people's individual traits, as well.

169668[/snapback]

Did we have the same graduate advisor?! :unsure: