Is I-864 still needed for the interview?

According to the Q&A from US Guangzhou Consulate:

"Affidavit of Support - I-864 and copies of the three most recent years' tax returns if not already submitted to NVC"

For CR1/IR1, does this mean that they don't need the I-864 and other financial supportive documents (tax returns, W-2...) for the interview?

Thanks.

I see your timeline mentions K3, which uses the I-134.

----

For CR1, you can see the below comments...

It appears that tax returns are the question. Meaning, that if you at the start of a year, even if you have not done taxes for the previous year, I have heard at least once of them asking to see the last year (when the USC had not even filed yet).

But in principle, if you were able to fill out the I-864 once electronically, then it is very easy to print, sign and notarize... Even if you have to re-fill it, I personally would not go without one on hand.

If your SO was asked for one, and she did not have one, she should state that it was turned into NVC and offer the taxes.

The worst that can happen is to get a denial requesting a more current I-864... easy to provide again, just a hassle to do it when it can be made available for your SO.

Q.4.3 I-864?

A.4.3.1

Filing at NVC:

If the I-864 went through NVC and is up to date for the current tax year nothing else is needed. IF it is not then the new tax return W/ W-2's is required. (Note: I did get a new I-864 w/ 2004 taxes notarized at the Shanghai Con. and they did NOT want it- just a copy of the 2004 tax return/W-2's.)

---

I see your timeline mentions K3, which uses the I-134.

----

For CR1, you can see the below comments...   

It appears that tax returns are the question. Meaning,  that if you at the start of a year, even if you have not done taxes for the previous year, I have heard at least once of them asking to see the last year (when the USC had not even filed yet).

But in principle, if you were able to fill out the I-864 once electronically, then it is very easy to print, sign and notarize... Even if you have to re-fill it, I personally would not go without one on hand.

If your SO was asked for one, and she did not have one, she should state that it was turned into NVC and offer the taxes.   

The worst that can happen is to get a denial requesting a more current I-864... easy to provide again, just a hassle to do it when it can be made available for your SO.

Q.4.3 I-864?

A.4.3.1

Filing at NVC:

If the I-864 went through NVC and is up to date for the current tax year nothing else is needed. IF it is not then the new tax return W/ W-2's is required. (Note: I did get a new I-864 w/ 2004 taxes notarized at the Shanghai Con. and they did NOT want it- just a copy of the 2004 tax return/W-2's.)

---

166092[/snapback]

My, David, your visa went through in a hurry! Lucky you.

I gave my wife copies of my last three years tax returns, with W-2's, (among other papers and documents) when I was visiting her a few weeks ago. We previously submitted the I-864 through NVC.

Does this mean we are probably all set?

It seems like they just do a perfunctory interview for some; and a real, in depth fishing expedition for others.

Does this mean we are probably all set? 

It seems like they just do a perfunctory interview for some; and a real, in depth fishing expedition for others.

166095[/snapback]

That's the million dollar question without a single answer... oh, actually the VO has the answer and he'll only let your SO the answer at the interview :P

your really close to getting a P4 for your interview at this point... Maybe that was your K3 entered on 8/11 .. but the CR1 will take precedence.

it seems to me that you are all set...

But, the only curve ball would be if the VO asked for 2005 taxes or proof of income for 2005 since that becomes the 'previous year' soon... Again.. it's up to the VO !

Thanks a ton!

It seems that it would be better to prepare another set of I-864 along with related supportive documents for the CR1/IR1 interview.

I called the USCIS NCSC the other day, they told me that CSC might approve my I-130 faster than K3 at MSC. Therefore, I would like to get prepared for both. Is it true that, if I-130 approval earlier than K3 or approximately at the same time, one should go for CR1/IR1 instead of K3?

BTW, what fees does one need to pay before the CR1/IR1 interview? I understand that for K3, 830 RMB needs to be paid before the K3 interview.

Thanks again your help.

If you go through all steps needed at NVC for the CR1, I would say you definitely want to finish up with that... With CR1, you don't have to do any Adjustment of Status step; your SO will enter the US as a permanent resident..

Here are the fees still ahead, taken from the FAQ... If something does not apply to the CR1, I hope someone will clarify.

A.1.23.3

Fees normally incurred by the Chinese beneficiary~{!/~}s steps, given in RMB

P3:

Translating various documents: 500 - 3000 RMB

P4:

Exam= 800 RMB; expedited service=100 RMB.

Non-immigrant visa: K1-4 visa is 830 RMB, per visa

Immigrant visa: CR-1/IR-1 = 3,154 RMB, per visa

Interview:

Biometric fee = $45 USD

Visa pickup=20 RMB.

Thank you so much, David.

BTW, when and where to pay Immigrant visa: CR-1/IR-1 = 3,154 RMB?

166158[/snapback]

They mail the petioner (that's you) everything. You will be notified a few months after the case goes from CSC to NVC. 1st you'll get the DS-3032, then the 864. The 864 goes to St. Louis, not NVC VT.

166158[/snapback]

Here are the basic steps through NVC as in our FAQ:

CR1/IR1:

A.1.10.4

If you are going strictly with the I-130:

The NVC would have sent you and your wife a DS3032 (also known as a Choice of Agent Doc).

This must be signed by your wife and returned by her before the NVC will proceed.

Then they send you an Affidavit of Support Fee Bill, and freeze everything until your check clears the bank.

Then they ask for your Immigrant fee bill (around $365). Again, freeze frame until the check clears.

After that you get the P3, assuming your wife has named you agent of choice in the DS3032.

Send that back, and get P4 and invitation.

166158[/snapback]

They mail the petioner (that's you) everything. You will be notified a few months after the case goes from CSC to NVC. 1st you'll get the DS-3032, then the 864. The 864 goes to St. Louis, not NVC VT.

166216[/snapback]

From My understanding, once the National Visa Center receives Your case: They will send your SO a DS 3032, This is the form that she declares an "Agent".

After that, all future letters and forms goes to the "Agent." However the I864 goes to the "Petitioner" The fee for the I 864 goes to the "Petitioner". So therefore, as the petitioner, and then selected as the agent, you will receive everything. This being said, you will have to work out everything she needs on your own. Good Luck.

Edited by obxtrainman (see edit history)
According to the Q&A from US Guangzhou Consulate:

"Affidavit of Support - I-864 and copies of the three most recent years' tax returns if not already submitted to NVC"

For CR1/IR1, does this mean that they don't need the I-864 and other financial supportive documents (tax returns, W-2...) for the interview?

Thanks.

166088[/snapback]

It would'nt hurt to have one on hand at the interview.

There easy to fill out.

The pros and cons of early completion of forms has been discussed here before. In some instances, the NVC instructed petitioners/beneficiaries not to use downloaded forms when filling out the DS-230 P1. That may or may not apply to the I-864 or the DS-3032. Both can be downloaded; the I-864 from the USCIS website and the DS-3032 from the DOS website as well as the DS-230 P1. My thoughts is go ahead and do what you've stated and wait to get the official package/forms. Read the instructions to see if any of what I said is mentioned. If not then mail off your prepared and signed form(s) and if so, you better heed to it.

Just my opinion on the matter.

BTW, there was posted here several weeks ago instructions on a "do-it-yourself way" of doing immigration forms. I don't know how safe that would be.

Again, MHO

-good luck