Better get medical examination done early

When I posted my medical examination experience in Shanghai, some of CFL members responded that their SO intended to do medical examination in GZ just before the interview.

Today, I learned from 001, a lady had the medical done a day or two prior to interview at one of the Guangzhou hospitals, got an HIV positive report. So she could not provide the report to VO at the interview, and received "pink" slip (according to her description, I don't know why not "blue"). That is to say she was denied the visa. Later, more lab test were done, and it was proved that the hospital made a mistake.

So, I strongly suggest that the visa applicant get the medical done many days before the interview, just to avoid some unexpected and unnecessary difficulties.

Edited by Joanne (see edit history)
HIV positive is not a denial circumstance unless the examining surgeon makes a negative report. 

Phil

165814[/snapback]

But it seems the hospital held back the report when they performed the second test, or it could be that the lady was afraid to show the report. Whichever was the case, this is only one special incident to remind us the risk. Something else could happen to you.

Edited by Joanne (see edit history)

Seems GUZ can have the final word on it...

VJ: Medical Exam's by the USCIS: Everything you wanted to know

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?pg=medical

One vital thing that you need to understand is this: IF there are any irregularities regarding your medical exam, it is the CONSULATE (or the USCIS if you are filing adjustment while inside the U.S.) who has the final say on whether this allows you to get the visa. The consulate or USCIS may consult the doctor for answers to questions they may have, and while the doctor can make recommendations, the USCIS or consulate makes the final decision.

You can also read the 9FAM consular directives regarding medical examinations.

TECHNICAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR MEDICAL EXAMINATION OF ALIENS

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/downloads/med-inst.pdf

Comment in HIV section:

"A positive test result will mean that you may not be eligible to receive a visa."

HIV positive is not a denial circumstance unless the examining surgeon makes a negative report.?

Phil

165814[/snapback]

But it seems the hospital held back the report when they performed the second test, or it could be that the lady was afraid to show the report. Whichever was the case, this is only one special incident to remind us the risk. Something else could happen to you.

165816[/snapback]

Seems that it is possible that a second, even a third test could be ordered..

Tests for HIV Infection

"Any accepted HIV antibody screening test (e.g., ELISA test or equivalent) may be used. If the initial test is positive or indeterminate, it

should be repeated on the same serum specimen, and if still positive or indeterminate, a confirmatory test (Western Blot or equivalent) should be done on the same specimen before results are reported."

HIV positive is not a denial circumstance unless the examining surgeon makes a negative report.?

Phil

165814[/snapback]

165816[/snapback]

Seems that it is possible that a second, even a third test could be ordered..

Tests for HIV Infection

"Any accepted HIV antibody screening test (e.g., ELISA test or equivalent) may be used. If the initial test is positive or indeterminate, it

should be repeated on the same serum specimen, and if still positive or indeterminate, a confirmatory test (Western Blot or equivalent) should be done on the same specimen before results are reported."

165821[/snapback]

What happens if I test positive for HIV?

In the case of testing positive for the HIV virus, you must file a waiver application according to the above instructions. You must also show that your admission to the U.S.:

Poses minimal public health danger

Holds minimal possibility of spread of infection

Will not incur costs to any government agency without prior consent from that agency.

Note: Individuals seeking admission as refugees from outside the United States are not required to submit documentation of individual eligibility for HIV treatment or health care coverage with Form I-602. They are already considered to have the required consent based on their eligibility for Federally funded programs and the assurances provided to USCIS by HHS.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/files/I-602.pdf

Edited by hakkamike (see edit history)

Thank you, David, for the information.

The point I wanted to make is not about whether HIV positive is OK. I just want to point out that any kind of mistake can happen either caused by the hospital or by the applicant. We would better allow time for correcting it.

Thank you, David, for the information. 

The point I wanted to make is not about whether HIV positive is OK.  I just want to point out that any kind of mistake can happen either caused by the hospital or by the applicant.  We would better allow time for correcting it.

165825[/snapback]

Totally agree. You made a very good point.

I vaguely remember something from a couple years ago where one of the clinics in GZ was telling the beneficiaries they were HIV positive but for an extra fee they could give them shots to clear it up. Obviously a scam. Do any of you old timers remember any more about this?