SLOW BOAT TO CHINA- MAIL SERVICE

Well it's been 20 days for a FedX package and 10 days for a US MAIL"GLOBAL EXpress" package that are still in transit

So if I want for something important to get to MY SO Emailing seems to be the only alternative .

I hope No one else has my experience - it's both money and Time wasted and My So is worried

There Must be someone who is reliable and fast but it sure isn't these two !!!! :huh:

special handling sometimes makes the process take longer... everyone has to sign off at every point, coming and going....

Usually global express can deliver within 3 days, or else they refund your money.. I had this happen, it was delivered in 4 days and I got my $32.00 back from the USPS...

special handling sometimes makes the process take longer... everyone has to sign off at every point, coming and going....

Usually global express can deliver within 3 days, or else they refund your money.. I had this happen, it was delivered in 4 days and I got my $32.00 back from the USPS...

165785[/snapback]

You Got your Money BACK ?

that seems incredible -Did you threaten to "GO POSTAL "

:huh:

165785[/snapback]

You Got your Money BACK ?

that seems incredible -Did you threaten to "GO POSTAL "

:)

165790[/snapback]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

actually I didn't "go postal", but I loved your quip!!

:blink:

Edited by HanLi (see edit history)
Well it's been 20 days for a FedX package and 10 days for a US MAIL"GLOBAL EXpress" package  that are still in transit

So if I want for something important to get to MY SO  Emailing seems to be the only alternative .

I hope No one else has my experience - it's both money and Time wasted and My So is worried

There Must be someone who is reliable and fast but it sure isn't these two !!!! :blink:

165783[/snapback]

I recommend DHL they are more costly yes, but you can track on line and they call my SO to make delivery arrangements. If it is important information (documents) I feel they are far superior, my SO always tells me send DHL..

Any recommendations on whether and what limit to put on the price of the goods ? I've heard where an amount over something can hold up the item (?)

165815[/snapback]

Hello,

I have never had a problem with EMS, and now the USPS is offering guarantee days for China (since July). This is trackable online.

http://www.usps.com/global/globalexpressmail.htm

For documents the export slip should say documents and give a 0 value.

The Guaranteed Expess mail is actually FedEx, but I have never used it.

Global Priority Mail offers improved service times (usually), but no guarantees or tracking.

I have used DHL for importing samples from the Philippines and it was a real pain.

I believe that an address in Chinese is the real key to this. My SO has sent me a MS-WORD file with her work address in both English and Chinese. My next project is to make dual labels that I can put on all packages that I send to her from now on. The one EMS package that I sent to her addressed in English got to her work address fine, but it did take 8 days.

-James

I use global priority and I agree that if you include the address in Chinese characters it will take 1/2 to 1/3 as long as if you send it in pinyin/English. Someone has to translate that on the other end, and I get the distinct impression they aren't in any hurry to do so.

So what I did is took the chinese address my SO put on one of the Visa forms and scanned it into my computer. I then printed that out on a label, along with the English address typed out. So the top of the label is her handwritten Chinese address and the bottom is a typed English version of the address for handling here in the states. Dropped the receipt time from 18-19 days to 7-8 days. There is always a day or two delay because they call her to make sure she is there to receive the package, and so she has to make arrangements with her employer to be able to do that.

Oh and according to the USPS site the value of stuff you mail has to be less than 100RMB, which is not much. I try not to send anything worth much more than that anyway, so it doesnt have the risk of being lost or removed from the package... If I want to get her something nice, I'll hand deliver it, or she can probably buy it there cheaper anyway. :D

Edited by mercator (see edit history)

I've had pretty good luck using plain old US Air Mail. It generally takes 6-7 days from Southern California to Chongqing. I address in English and Chinese characters.

The 6-7 day ones have generally been 1-2 photos and a sheet of paper. I think I've sent 3-4 of these. I sent one recently with 8 photos ... noticeably heavier and a little bulkier ... it's been ten days and she doesn't have it as yet.

Mine was a complete I-130 packet in a clip binder (like 30 pages or so) so she would have a copy. 8 days.

Prior to that, I sent her a copy of all the photos I took in China that were worth making prints of (173 -weighed a bunch) 2 cd's and 2 letters. 8 days.

Both addressing in Chinese and English.

Prior to that, maybe 3 months ago, I sent a few sheets of paper and a CD, as well as a few trinkets that fit into a ring box and it took 18 days because I only addressed in English.

I had Ying e-mail me her mailing address written in Chinese. I added her name in English above the the Chinese and below it in English her city, province, country and her city code. She has never had any trouble getting anything I sent her. When I sent her the P-3 packet I used the US Post Office Global Express. She had the package in less than a week. Nothing wrong with USPS and I like the sanctity of the American Postal System.