New Passport Requirements

I just read this in Yahoo news.  It looks like all of us and our SO's will be soon be needing to replace our passports soon.

New Electronic Passport Requirements

Since the odds are our SO's will also be needing new passports by October 2006, will they be able to get new ones through the Chinese Embassy or consulates here in the US?

163431[/snapback]

Me thinks that this is just for US Passports?

I just read this in Yahoo news.?It looks like all of us and our SO's will be soon be needing to replace our passports soon.

New Electronic Passport Requirements

Since the odds are our SO's will also be needing new passports by October 2006, will they be able to get new ones through the Chinese Embassy or consulates here in the US?

163431[/snapback]

Me thinks that this is just for US Passports?

163433[/snapback]

This is the quote that I think should concern those who already have their SO's already in the country.

Other countries are also switching to microchipped, biometric passports at the request of the United States. The Patriot Act says visitors from 27 countries whose citizens don't now need visas to visit the United States would have to get electronic passports by next October

They would have to prove to everyone that the technology actually works. The main problem I have is that they say the bad guys can't scan our passports and target us. Unless I can see prove of that I'm not not taking that as a fact.

Take for example the scrambled cable channels once they develope something someone else defeats it. This would always be in the back of my mind. I would probably travels less internationally and stay more in domestic locations here for a vacation or business. I won't even go into the privacy issue because thats old news, we even dealt with that thru our company ID cards.

Guest ShaQuaNew

This could be the first step from what we heard from Bush and Chertoff last week toward taking care of the illegals that come and stay everyday by switching to this microchip tracking technology. On the surface it can be a good thing, as long as it's not something that adds further burden to an already over-burdened process.....