EAD & Social Security Cards

There is no longer such a thing as an EAD stamp when you first enter the US.  As Donahso stated, they stopped that practice last year. You now have to go to your local INS Center to get this EAD card... I just went through this two weeks ago, so trust me, this is the way you have to do it now.

I was just seeing and commenting on what Don posted above about 001 and a JFK EAD stamp..

snip..///" JM who arrived at JFK on Valentine's Day. She got the EAD stamp on her way through immigration"

OK, I am confused big time. I just spent the last 5 hours waiting at my local INS Office to help my financee apply for her EAD card. Form I765.

after all this wait, I was told, we have to mail it into the service center in Nebraska, which takes between 90 - 120 days. So they siad your better off not even doing that, as within the 90 days you have to be married, then you have to apply for the perminate one, after you file for the Residental status change.

Where as here, it sounds like someone said, they were able to go to the Local INS office and get in on the spot.

What gives, this was very frustrating, specially when we got up at 4:00am to be down there and stand in the cold for hours in line.

Thanks,

Scott

• 1 month later...

I don't understand the need for an EAD. There was no problem applying for the SSN without it. It says on the I-94 that she is ok to work. The info she received when she picked up the visa at GUZ or on entry said that she needed a SSN even if she does not want to work. As she does not intend to work for a few years, why not just wait for the green card which I think is issued after AOS interview. Am I mixing up something here in my mind?