EAD & Social Security Cards

For those of you who will be coming to the US in the next few weeks/months a first hand report of what is entailed in acquiring the EAD and Social Security cards for your fiancés/wives.

Even if you do not plan on your fiancé/wife working for the first three months you should apply for your EAD Employment Authorization Card ASAP. This is a temporary card, good only for 90 days and it is free. After you are married you will have to apply for another (permanent) EAD card, and there will be a fee for this one.

You will not receive the EAD card at the point of entry. When you get home you must go to your local INS office. All you need to bring is your fiancés passport and I suggest a copy of the original approval notice from the I-129 application with the “A” NUMBER.

I suggest that when you go to your local INS office, you go as early as possible.

The main reason you want the EAD card first is because it will make it that much easier to get your Social Security Card. When you apply for your SSN all you need to bring is your fiancés/wifes passport and her EAD card, it is pretty simple and your card will be mailed in about two weeks.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Bob,

Thanks very much for this great information!

I do have a question though ... did you two have to be married before she could apply for the EAD and Social Security card? Can fiance/fiancees receive EAD or Social Security cards immediately upon entering the country on the K1 visa?

Thanks,

P.J.

Even though it is not real close to me I am planning in using Seattle as the POE because of their history of issuing the EAD.

Randall

READ MY POST I was told in SF on 2/4/03, POE. The EAD card is not issued at the POE!!!!! You have to go to your local INS office when you get home. Whoever, told you they got their EAD Card at the POE is incorrect.

Guest bbridges51

Bob:

Two questions:

1. Was there a particular form you need to fill out in advance for your free EAD?

2. Was the EAD issued the same day you applied at your local office?

BTW, I wonder how others have fared. Is the temporary EAD required for the SSN?

Thanks,

Brian

Bob:

Two questions:

1. Was there a particular form you need to fill out in advance for your free EAD?

2. Was the EAD issued the same day you applied at your local office?

BTW, I wonder how others have fared. Is the temporary EAD required for the SSN?

Thanks,

Brian

When you go to your local INS offfice ask and they will give you a very simple one page form to fill out. After a long (3 hour) wait the card was issued in about ten minutes. She should carry this card as an ID and not her passport, as it will have her picture on it. .

I don;t believe the EAD card is required for the SSN. However, it just makes everything easier when applying for the SSN..

Guest bbridges51

Bob,

Thanks a lot. It's so nice to learn from other's experiences. Now, another question comes to mind.

Say, SuJuan gets the temporary EAD (which is good for 90 days). We're married during the 90 days and file for the real EAD and AOS. If the temporary EAD expires in 90 days AND the real EAD takes months to acquire (at least according to records), then how could our wives get, or continue to work?

Thanks to all.

Brian

I was just reading 001 and saw a post from a JM who arrived at JFK on Valentine's Day. She got the EAD stamp on her way through immigration. She also said that she declared the red peppers and Customs didn't care!

I have read a few months ago than just an EAD stamp at POE MIGHT or MIGHT not be accepted as a proof of eligibility to work, if some mentions are not noted on it. I forgot which ones.

There is no longer such a thing as an EAD stamp when you first enter the US. As Donahso stated, they stopped that practice last year. You now have to go to your local INS Center to get this EAD card... I just went through this two weeks ago, so trust me, this is the way you have to do it now.