Proof of Ex-spouse in China?

Filed a DCF in HK and now we are wondering if we should try to track down my wife's ex husband (divorced 8 years ago) to get a pic of him holding a Chinese newspaper. What do you think? Do we need this info when she is called in for an interview? I ask b/c I've read a few posts about folks getting blue slips b/c a VO asks about the ex. FYI: We have all the official, notarized divorce documents signed and sealed. By the time she interviews, we will have our first child. Mmmm, what is enough?

Advice is appreciated.

hamlet

Edited by hamlett22 (see edit history)

That is one of those things that could be thrown in with the "kitchen sink" approach to getting ready for the interview. It is less common than the request for the video tape, and it would seem a lot harder to come by.

I only recall it being specificly asked for one time here at the candle and that was quite a while ago.

Also to answer your off topic question from a different thread you can file a I-129 here in the States for your spouse after a I-130 has been filed. For a K-3 spouse visa. It was intended to be a quicker way to get your spouse here and you would use the same forms as you would for a fiancee visa.

Edited by Gene (see edit history)
Filed a DCF in HK and now we are wondering if we should try to track down my wife's ex husband (divorced 8 years ago) to get a pic of him holding a Chinese newspaper.  What do you think?  Do we need this info when she is called in for an interview? I ask b/c I've read a few posts about folks getting blue slips b/c a VO asks about the ex.  FYI: We have all the official, notarized divorce documents signed and sealed.  By the time she interviews, we will have our first child.  Mmmm, what is enough?

Advice is appreciated.

hamlet

157964[/snapback]

If you have all the necessary documents proving divorce, custody, single-status, etc., then I wouldn't bother with the ex-spouse thing.

Gene says the "kitchen sink" approach. And that's okay if that is where your comfort zone lies but in this case I say the "don't ask don't tell" approach. Why fix it if it ain't broken?........

The ex-spouse location seems to be a hot button in my case. This is where I needed to get documents specifying that my ex does not reside with me and my SO needs to locate her ex for that photo-paper holding thing.

Kitchen sink approach is what I am preparing for overcome of denial. Lets pray you don't go there... Be ready!

Best to you...

Eric

Edited by esun41 (see edit history)
Filed a DCF in HK and now we are wondering if we should try to track down my wife's ex husband (divorced 8 years ago) to get a pic of him holding a Chinese newspaper.  What do you think?  Do we need this info when she is called in for an interview? I ask b/c I've read a few posts about folks getting blue slips b/c a VO asks about the ex.  FYI: We have all the official, notarized divorce documents signed and sealed.  By the time she interviews, we will have our first child.  Mmmm, what is enough?

Advice is appreciated.

hamlet

157964[/snapback]

If you have all the necessary documents proving divorce, custody, single-status, etc., then I wouldn't bother with the ex-spouse thing.

Gene says the "kitchen sink" approach. And that's okay if that is where your comfort zone lies but in this case I say the "don't ask don't tell" approach. Why fix it if it ain't broken?........

157979[/snapback]

Mine was broken... needs fixin'... haha

Just be careful of the husband-wife calling (unless you are truly married) and save receipts and paper trail of everything. I mean everything!!!

I am so glad I did because it is coming in handy now.

Could GUZ possibly be concerned about a visa scam when this couple will have a baby by interview time?

I would think the baby would be great evidence!

158023[/snapback]

That has worked in the past.......Something your not tellen us Jim?? B)

If you're bringing over a child with the SO then she will need his written, notarized consent to allow the child to leave the country.  This is by international treaty to prevent spousal kidnapping.

158148[/snapback]

Not always true Bob. When my wife had her interview all they wanted to see is the custody papers from the divorce. My step-daughter was abandoned by her father when she was two years old. We had no idea how to find my wifes ex husband. No other problems.

Tine

If you're bringing over a child with the SO then she will need his written, notarized consent to allow the child to leave the country.  This is by international treaty to prevent spousal kidnapping.

158148[/snapback]

Not always true Bob. When my wife had her interview all they wanted to see is the custody papers from the divorce. My step-daughter was abandoned by her father when she was two years old. We had no idea how to find my wifes ex husband. No other problems.

Tine

158164[/snapback]

I see, abandonment is a special case. The treay went into effect November, 2004.