she sounds SCARY

izus

My travels in China and Russia indicate that there is considerable prejudice towards blacks.

My travels in Russia and China indicate otherwise...

155403[/snapback]

parry, thrust

perhaps a debate is needed..... why not start a new topic on this issue.... :)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not seeing the stretch in it... Historically, I cannot recall a CFL member who studied the VOs, and then benefited by knowing all the VOs and having their SO know them all.. so when face to face with one, they knew how to respond... I can only see added stress by such a micro-managing aspect to this process.. and frankly, I don't know that our SOs really want all that info. Sometimes, too much info is not a good thing.  My SO, for one, thinks it ludicrous to worry about such issues...

Instead, we tend to focus on the questions and having the paperwork on hand... that seems to be sufficient enough to get the visa...

Having collected the interview data, I can say that a few certainly did give some physical appearance of the VOs... So if anyone really wants to search and collect it, they can.  I simply saw no reason to do it... they rotate at some point and who's going to keep track of that...

But this topic has been commented on before...  I think those who hold the opposite view pose an interesting stand.. just not one I subscribe to.

155277[/snapback]

I have stated this more than once that we, my SO and myself, read and studied everything we could about every VO/interview we could find both on CFL and 001 to understand the kinds of questions that would, or could be asked. We had discussed the likelihood of getting the person under discussion in this thread for the reasons I have also stated before, which are that the evidence points to the appearance that they get the cases that appear more complex. Not that they don't pass them, just that some of these cases have more complex questions sometimes. We assumed that this VO may be one, based on the long history, who has more experience, and so naturally gets the more possibly complex cases. (Therfore making it appear that this VO is a hard VO, when the evidence suggests they are no harder than any other).

Did this study help us? Yes, I think it did, and my SO thinks so as well, because it gave her confidence. We specifically prepared for this VO, or whoever we think is this VO, and my SO was happy that we had done this (whether it was this VO or not). That study also resulted in the compilation of the blue slip data.

I find nothing wrong with the use of identifiers for various VO's, so long as the intent of the ID is not derogatory. (I would gladly use their names, or numbers, or handle if they would like to give us one). In my own opinion, many here have received the benefit of those who have gone before, of their experiences with the different VO's, and to assume that this information is of no use I think is short sighted. Since there seems to be little recourse for American citizens to respond to American government workers working in far away posts, I feel it is useful to be tracking what they are in fact doing. So far as I can tell, the person who has been identified appears to be doing nothing wrong. I think so long as the VO's actions are discussed, that nothing will be done wrong.

All data, no matter how small or insignificant is important to people in this process. It is thanks to those people who created and have kept CFL running that those who follow are not in the dark as much as they were back before there was a CFL. Or for that matter, those who don't find out about CFL and wing it themselves and have difficulties. (You know, those other people who are denied while CFL'ers are getting passed). All information I think contributes to making sure future CFL'ers are best prepared for anything. I think this means gathering and compiling all information, no matter if it seems important or not, until the visa process for our loved ones from China receive the same speed of processing that everyone else around the world enjoys.

Edited by nooneufo (see edit history)
I'm not seeing the stretch in it...   Historically, I cannot recall a CFL member who studied the VOs, and then benefited by knowing all the VOs and having their SO know them all.. so when face to face with one, they knew how to respond...   I can only see added stress by such a micro-managing aspect to this process.. and frankly, I don't know that our SOs really want all that info. Sometimes, too much info is not a good thing.  My SO, for one, thinks it ludicrous to worry about such issues...

Instead, we tend to focus on the questions and having the paperwork on hand... that seems to be sufficient enough to get the visa...

Having collected the interview data, I can say that a few certainly did give some physical appearance of the VOs...   So if anyone really wants to search and collect it, they can.  I simply saw no reason to do it...   they rotate at some point and who's going to keep track of that...

But this topic has been commented on before...  I think those who hold the opposite view pose an interesting stand.. just not one I subscribe to.

155277[/snapback]

I have stated this more than once that we, my SO and myself, read and studied everything we could about every VO/interview we could find both on CFL and 001 to understand the kinds of questions that would, or could be asked. We had discussed the likelihood of getting the person under discussion in this thread for the reasons I have also stated before, which are that the evidence points to the appearance that they get the cases that appear more complex. Not that they don't pass them, just that some of these cases have more complex questions sometimes. We assumed that this VO may be one, based on the long history, who has more experience, and so naturally gets the more possibly complex cases. (Therfore making it appear that this VO is a hard VO, when the evidence suggests they are no harder than any other).

Did this study help us? Yes, I think it did, and my SO thinks so as well, because it gave her confidence. We specifically prepared for this VO, or whoever we think is this VO, and my SO was happy that we had done this (whether it was this VO or not). That study also resulted in the compilation of the blue slip data.

I find nothing wrong with the use of identifiers for various VO's, so long as the intent of the ID is not derogatory. (I would gladly use their names, or numbers, or handle if they would like to give us one). In my own opinion, many here have received the benefit of those who have gone before, of their experiences with the different VO's, and to assume that this information is of no use I think is short sighted. Since there seems to be little recourse for American citizens to respond to American government workers working in far away posts, I feel it is useful to be tracking what they are in fact doing. So far as I can tell, the person who has been identified appears to be doing nothing wrong. I think so long as the VO's actions are discussed, that nothing will be done wrong.

All data, no matter how small or insignificant is important to people in this process. It is thanks to those people who created and have kept CFL running that those who follow are not in the dark as much as they were back before there was a CFL. Or for that matter, those who don't find out about CFL and wing it themselves and have difficulties. (You know, those other people who are denied while CFL'ers are getting passed). All information I think contributes to making sure future CFL'ers are best prepared for anything. I think this means gathering and compiling all information, no matter if it seems important or not, until the visa process for our loved ones from China receive the same speed of processing that everyone else around the world enjoys.

155542[/snapback]

thanks nooneufo, this is the rationalization that cuts through the clutter of single minded folks that don't look beyond the moment at times when they comment.... I have been guilty of that myself, but feel refreshed with posts such as yours ........

thanks again

I usually separate the data I view as useful for two reasons: Myself or for the FAQ... much that I put in the FAQ, I do not share with my SO... just too much info.. and hard to translate and discuss. She does not use 001 and really did not want anything beyond what appears necessary to be successful, in a minimal way.

I personally see no benefit in studying the VOs... and did not tell my SO about any VO. We only studied the highest probability questions (Top 10, and Top divorce questions).. and got a hit on all asked to her.

I think if you study data enough, you see a trend or highest probability.. I prefer to keep a focus on that and at times gather unique stuff that I feel is going to be helpful to others...

Others are different in their feeling.. and certainly, anyone who wants to research info, it is there and those of us who have done a lot of searching can help you to most easily get the data you want to see. I hope that people will search the data and do their own analysis.. helps as a 'check' to the past research as well.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Studies have determined that those with facial hair and poor dental work tend to approve more often than others. They needen't have both to qualify as one or the other seems to show this trend....

:)

I like to hear names like Black Pearl. The guard has a face. This system is made up of people. There are actually a lot of people who's job it is to get up 5 days a week and man this machine that keeps us apart from those we love. I can't get over that.

Who are they? They signed up for the foreign service thinking it would be an adventure. Some are liberal, some conservative, some bigots. But being a visa officer is the classic first post that most all of them are assigned. Many don't like it. Some have a racial or conservative or classist agenda and like the power to exercise it, even if only by following the rules and telling people no or yes. Some get a consulate where they can play the favorites game and some actually want to play that game. A lot just do the job, and in doing it figure out that in countries like China their job is basically to keep most regular people out of the United States. Why should they be kept out? Either because they will hurt us (post 9/11) or because it's just better in America and we don't want to share. But when the VOs see what they are doing they keep doing it if for no other reason than because it's their job. Like a soldier, but killing hopes instead of bodies. What does that do a person?

Anyone else see "The Princess Bride"?  I wonder if the so-called Black Pearl isn't like the Dread Pirate Roberts i.e. someone else always coming along and picking up the baton where the other left off; thus a legend continues.  :lol:

155523[/snapback]

I was just about to post this exact thought. Aren't the VO's rotated pretty regularly? I bet we're on "Black Pearl" number 2 at least by now, maybe 3 or 4.

While I don't think referring to her a "Black Pearl" is racist per se, it does create a misunderstanding (as does "glasses boy").

What happens is whenever someone goes and has a black female VO she will say "I passed with Black Pearl!" and someone with a guy with glasses will say "Glasses Boy!". We're creating fictional VO characters with fictional personalities based on 2nd hand input. If 4 years from now 001 and CFL are still around, and there is a black female VO at GZ, people will still be saying "I passed with Black Pearl!" even though she is a completely different person, 12 years younger, much nicer, etc, while "glasses boy" is now played by a new actor as well.